covid 19 Canadian/US border closure - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camping, Campout Reports
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-17-2020, 11:30 AM   #1

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
Thumbs down covid 19 Canadian/US border closure

Hi all My sister who who lives in Canmore Alberta and I planed a trip to Newfound Land Ca. ( I live in the state of Utah ) we were going to go to the Badlands of North Dakota and South Dakota. Then head east. We had reservations to the Frank Lloyd Wright museum in Wisconsin ($150.00 ) camping reservations in Ontario, camp site reservations in NB, NS, NF, ferry reservations to take her Boler and my " Lil Bigfoot " to Newfound Land. All of the reservations had to be canceled because of the covid 19 border closing. Hundreds of dollars in deposits were returned to us. We had reservations at a campground in New Brunswick, it's name is " Ponderosa Pines Campground ". this campground has a policy stating that they will return 50% of a deposit if given a 30 day notice. My sister requested a refund within this time period. She received 50% back. $25. ca approx. she tried to get a full refund back, but the staff at Ponderosa would not budge. the border is closed. how do we get there. I tried to talk to these people later I missed the 30 day time frame. I thought the border might open. Ponderosa Pine campground refuses to return any deposit to me. ($60.ca) All of the places we made reservations with understood; the Frank Lloyd Wright museum had a policy of no refund. The museum said under the present circumstances they would return 100%. Ethics,,, I think Ponderosa has none.
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 11:57 AM   #2

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Our trip to Nova Scotia is getting questionable. It has been on my bucket list for years to see the Chapin Family concert, as in Harry Chapin, at Ovens Natural Park in Nova Scotia, owned by Harry's brother Steve. We will have to leave within a few weeks of the latest deadline, and with the increasing infections in this country, I fear Canada will extend the block longer. The concert has not yet been canceled, just moved to outdoors. However, I am afraid we may end up canceling for this year.

CindyL
Old 06-17-2020, 12:02 PM   #3

Utah
Ponderosa Pines campground is located at Fundy Bay,next to Hopewell Rocks provincial park NB Ca.
Old 06-17-2020, 02:45 PM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We had a Canadian fishing trip booked for early June that was cancelled due to Covid 19 and the border closing ( We did get our deposit refunded)
We attempted to move our reservations to later in the year but we were told to wait because they don’t expect the US / Canadian border to open until after Labor Day.
Some of the issues we have run into with some states / state parks is that they cancel your camping reservations at the very last minute, or if you cancel because THEY can’t decide what their going to do they charge you a cancellation fee and if THEY do decide to cancel your reservations, they don’t refund your money they give you a gift card for future use .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 09:48 AM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
"Newfoundland" is spelled as one word. Officially the province is now Newfoundland/Labrador. Locally the residents are called Newfies.

Can't understand why the border is "closed" as Canada has just as much virus as the USA.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 09:53 AM   #6

Name: Mac
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' LD
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
"Newfoundland" is spelled as one word. Officially the province is now Newfoundland/Labrador. Locally the residents are called Newfies.

Can't understand why the border is "closed" as Canada has just as much virus as the USA.
Perhaps different attitudes/level of perceived seriousness between the two nations. But more likely just to reduce bringing in more virus from outside. It's always a balance - commercial traffic is allowed through. Are people arguing about/refusing to wear masks in Canada? I can imagine parts of the country where they are doing that.
Spongelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 09:58 AM   #7

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:

I wouldn't call them that if I were you. Probably best you stay south of the border. <_<
Old 06-18-2020, 10:12 AM   #8

Name: Lawrie
Trailer: Currently Shopping
British Columbia
Can't understand why the border is "closed" as Canada has just as much virus as the USA.[/QUOTE]

Latest stats:
Cases per million population:
USA: 6779
Canada: 2654

That's a substantial difference.

L
lfawcett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 10:17 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfawcett View Post

Latest stats:
Cases per million population:
USA: 6779
Canada: 2654

That's a substantial difference.

L[/QUOTE]

And, we get US news. We see 'entitled' people refusing to wear masks and to isolate. We see the political stances taken. Want nothing to do with that.
Old 06-18-2020, 10:18 AM   #10

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
Ca is the approved abbreviation for California isn't it? Canada is CN, I think.
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 10:22 AM   #11

Name: Patricia
Trailer: 1975 Ventura
Ontario
"Can't understand why the border is "closed" as Canada has just as much virus as the USA." Wayne Collins

Not even close

Canada: Confirmed
Deaths 8299

USA: Confirmed
2.21M
Deaths 220K
Patricia D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 10:24 AM   #12

Name: Patricia
Trailer: 1975 Ventura
Ontario
CA for CAnada
Patricia D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 10:33 AM   #13

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
Oh. Then California's must be "Calif"

"CA" is used for the national internet domain and as the abbreviation for the country in most database programs.

"CDN" is used as Canada's code for automobiles - if a Canadian vehicle is driven in Europe temporarily, it needs a "CDN" sticker to show the license plate is Canadian.

"CAD" is the symbol for the currency, the Canadian Dollar.

"CAN" is usually used on scoreboards in international sporting competitions. Of course, that only works for countries with the Roman alphabet. In Cyrillic alphabet countries like Russia, it's "KAH", which is the phonetic equivalent.
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 11:18 AM   #14

Utah
My sisters email is shaw.ca
Old 06-18-2020, 11:44 AM   #15

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:

If you watch the news , the covid protests / protestors and listen to our politicians , it’s not surprising why Canada wants to keep the border closed .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 12:16 PM   #16

Name: Cate & Dan
Trailer: 1976 Triple E SurfSide "The Mutt Hut"
Manitoba
Just an FYI. Even within Canada we have some travel restrictions between and within provinces. In Manitoba, we are gradually opening travel to the western provinces and certain parts of northwestern Ontario but no further east as road travel would see us go through areas more profoundly impacted by the virus. While we have universal healthcare, it is controlled at a provincial level so better to be in your home province if the need should arise. We also have had restricted travel to areas north of the 59th parallel in order to protect our indigenous populations living there, who have less immediate access to comprehensive health care facilities. While people have grumbled about lock down and masks, we have not had armed protests on the steps of provincial legislatures or fighting between the various levels of government as to how we should confront this pandemic. Each province is determining individually how best to open their own economies based on the number of cases. Since supply chain has not been interrupted, it is tourism mostly that will suffer the closure but not our healthcare system. Manitoba has seen only 306 confirmed cases and 7 deaths with a population of 1.35 million. Our closest neighbor to the south, North Dakota, had 3101 confirmed cases and 74 deaths in a population of roughly 800,000 as of June 12/20. That is ten times the amount we have seen in a population roughly two thirds the size. Sorry, not sorry the border is closed.
Old Macdonalds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 12:38 PM   #17

Name: Melanie
Trailer: Lil' Bigfoot
Ontario
Just to add to the last post. Many provinces (NS is one of them) have mandatory 2 week isolation in place if you come from out of province. All provinces and territories have a 2 week isolation period in place when coming from another country. Your vacation would be pretty short if you still insisted on visiting.
Melly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 12:57 PM   #18

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:

In Canada we tend to listen to health experts not politicians. Continuing to open up states where the numbers are not stable increasing as much as 50% with no end in site makes me very glad to see the boarder remain closed till things change.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 02:27 PM   #19

Name: George
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Registry
Just a warning in case anyone is planning to fly using a Canadian airline, don't unless you are clear what you are buying. No Canadian airline is willing to refund the airfare, even if the flight is cancelled! We are trying to get our Airline industry to at least offer a flight at a later date! Also, the low-cost airlines are filling up the planes to capacity, although the recommendation is to leave mid-seats vacant. We are negotiating about this with our minister of transport who keeps saying "the airline industry will go bankrupt" if he forces them to refund unused flights.
jokra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 03:30 PM   #20

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
Hello. I live in New Brunswick and am familiar with Ponderosa Pines campground, although I have zero affiliation with them.

Yes, it is unfortunate that the US/Canadian border is closed for your trip.

Yes, it is unfortunate that your reservation money was not returned to you 100%.
Yes, I believe that they are justified in keeping some of your money when it clearly states on their website that a partial refund will be returned if reservations are cancelled with less than 30 days notice. it is in bolded letters on their reservation page and you knew that when booking.

It appears to me that small businesses, especially campgrounds, will need every penny that they can get to stay in business. Following their policies and not making exceptions may tick you off, but if you put yourself in their shoes, it may mean that they will be able to stay afloat.....it isn't a surprise that this is their policy. I sympathize with you but I do believe that your comment about their ethics/morality was not called for. But that is simply my opinion.

Yes, we are restricted from travel outside of our own provinces. No, Americans have not had those restrictions placed on them. That is your country's policy. Our country has made good decisions that have kept our infection rates down. And yes, it has taken away our liberty to travel outside of our own province in our own country. We accept that because we respect the reasons for those restrictions.

Newfoundland and Labrador would love to see you.....some other time. They are closed to anyone from away, which is exactly as it should be.
This pandemic is not over. Don't get complacent and think that it is.

And we respectfully request that you stay home this year.
See you next year.....if it is allowed.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote