Cross country route advice please! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 03-30-2017, 09:13 PM   #21

Name: carolyn
Trailer: 2005 casita sd
Michigan
We second the route north from Ironwood, MI and the Lake Superior drive then across the Mac bridge and go east along the Lake Huron coast. Gorgeous, lots of campgrounds and State forest campgrounds.
garycarolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 09:21 PM   #22

Michigan
Mid August the bugs are WAY down in the UP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRL001 View Post
Guys

This is amazing advice. Thanks so much. We'll be taking Highway 2

At one point I used to fly into O'Hare from Toronto and then pick up a rental car for a drive to a customer in Bloomington, IL. Traffic around Chicago was NOT fun. And that is about 15 years ago. It can only be worse now.

Cheers Ritchie

The Lake Huron route winds up at Algonac where you can get the ferry over to Ontario. There is a state park in Algonac right on the St Claire R
iver.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:50 PM   #23

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Isn't there also a ferry that crosses Lake Michigan?
I remember looking at it years ago but never took it.
You miss Chicago that way.

On edit: found them
http://www.ssbadger.com/
http://www.lake-express.com/
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 05:48 PM   #24

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by garycarolyn View Post
We second the route north from Ironwood, MI and the Lake Superior drive then across the Mac bridge and go east along the Lake Huron coast. Gorgeous, lots of campgrounds and State forest campgrounds.
If you do stay near the L. Huron coast (rather than hurry down I-75) and want to camp near Oscoda, I can tell you how to get to this rustic campsite on the AuSable River...

Click image for larger version

Name:	AuSable campsite.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	207.7 KB
ID:	104533

On the other hand, if you head down 75 you might enjoy stretching your legs under the virgin pine forest at Hartwick Pines SP.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 04:22 PM   #25

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRL001 View Post
Hi

In mid August we're heading from BC to Lake Louise for a night and then 3 nights at the east entrance to Glacier NP in the US for some hiking. After that we need to get to Ontario!

We are trying to decide between the Highway 2 route east to Sault St Marie and then south through Michigan to a crossing at the Blue Water Bridge versus the Interstate route that will take us south to Chicago and then into ON through Detroit.

The pros and cons of the Interstate route are more obvious. I've been told that highway 2 is more relaxed driving but the RV facilities sound pretty rough and ready and limited in MT and ND, especially. Mixed reviews, put it that way

If anyone has experience of either or both routes would be very grateful for your advice.

Thanks.

Ritchie
Bigfoot 25B175G & F150 tow vehicle
Drove through the Chicago area once. Never again. It was awful. This year if you are in Canada you can go to any of their National Parks for free. You might need a pass which can be gotten off of line. We've been in Canada and the roads are great. Went to Michigan last summer and went from south to north all the way and it was awesome. Went all the way east to west across the Upper Peninsula. Plenty of camping. If not then there's places to pull off and not pay.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 07:52 PM   #26

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
Isn't there also a ferry that crosses Lake Michigan?
I remember looking at it years ago but never took it.
You miss Chicago that way.

On edit: found them
SS Badger Michigan Car Ferry | Manitowoc, WI - Ludington, MI
Lake Express - the fast Lake Michigan ferry - Milwaukee to Muskegon
Expensive and over night trip
Old 04-03-2017, 10:17 PM   #27

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Howard and Kim

We do not have air conditioning in our trailer and often dry camp.

We have crossed ND and MT many times in July. It is hot. If heat does not bother you....we had to motel a couple of times when it was 100 degrees.

July and January are my least favorite months in Minnesota. I have to turn my air conditioner on in my home for one to two weeks in July.

August is a bit cooler and perhaps the humidity is not so high.

We went to Nova Scotia in July one year. It was awfully warm going that way too. We went across to Sault Ste. Marie, north into Canada on 17. Dropped back into the states before Ottawa, found our way to Maine and then into NB and NS.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 10:43 PM   #28

Name: Jann
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by garycarolyn View Post
Expensive and over night trip
It's only overnight if you go both ways. It's a 3 hour trip one way. If you take the ferry you'd miss the entire UP of Michigan. It is around $200 one way with vehicle and not sure with a trailer if more. I'd not go with the ferry eventhough it is fun. Thought of doing this last year but decided to see the UP and it was way better than the ferry ride. We took the ferry from Port Angeles, WA to Vancouver Island and then 12 days later took the ferry from the island to the city of Vancouver mainland Canada. Cost us $108 each trip for 23 ft motorhome and both of us. So the SS Badger is very expensive at about $200 each way. The UP of Michigan is great and if you go across the Mackinac Bridge it will cost you $10-15. Motorhome was $10 but you'd have an extra axle.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 04:46 AM   #29

Name: Chris
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Nova Scotia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
This year if you are in Canada you can go to any of their National Parks for free. You might need a pass which can be gotten off of line.
The free pass can also be picked up at the gates. I'd still recommend ordering one online first however.
ChrisDunbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 08:42 PM   #30

Name: abcde
Trailer: noneofyourbusiness
British Columbia
This post has a life of its own...

Absolutely wonderful to see everyone sharing so much info.

To fill everyone in, we live in BC so we have a Parks Canada pass already! In Ontario, to answer a couple of questions, we'll be making quick stop in Stratford and Guelph to visit people we know and then head for a family event on Pigeon Lake, NW of Peterborough. Then to Kingston for another family event, then to the GTA.

We're planning to leave Ontario around Sept 18-19 and will choose a route home depending on what way the wind is blowing at the time
Old 04-06-2017, 10:08 AM   #31

Name: Gene
Trailer: Scamp
North Dakota
Registry
For sure use Hwy 2 through ND and Minnesota. Light traffic and a good 4 land through ND and Eastern Mn. The Minnesota lake country in nice with plenty of places to stop to camp. It would be best to try to get through the Williston, ND area without camping. That oil country is busy but not so much now, with lower oil prices. There is a nice state park about 20 miles West of Grand Forks. Turtle River State Park. Also a nice Minnesota state park in East Grand Forks right down town next to the Red River. It's walking distance from good restaurants and a Cabelas store. As you go East into Wisconsin there is a nice campground right along US2 near Saxon, Wi. WELCOME | Frontier Bar and Campground in Northern WI | by Lake Superior's Saxon Harbor
There are places nearby where you pick your own blueberries, but I think you might be a bit late. If you want a nice short but scenic drive and a lakeside place to camp try this in the Ironwood Michigan area. Gogebic County Natural Resources Center
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 06:13 PM   #32

Name: Adrian
Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA
Manitoba
Ritchie

I also vote for Hwy 2. When you get to Wakefield MI where there's are nice town campground on the lake turn onto Hwy 28 then cut down later back to Hwy 2 along the north shore of Lake Michigan if you are going to Stratford first then you should take I75 south to Flint, I69 over to Port Huron to Sarnia. That's the way we head to Southern ON from southern MB

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 08:39 PM   #33

Name: P
Washington
I enjoyed driving on hwy 2 but that was before I had a trailer. I came back home to Warshington from Wisconsin that way. Speaking of Wisconsin, there are campgrounds with hookups along the shores of Lake Superior on Chequamegon Bay. Ashland has a few and that is right on the Highway 2 route and is connected to the UP.

That area in August seemed very humid to me but I am a native of Warshington State and had never been in such a humid climate--a hot one anyway. Air conditioning will be your friend.

Da local food specialty in da U.P. is da pasty.

Yah, and I learned to talk yooper while living dere, youuuuu knowwwwww.
slowpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 09:50 PM   #34

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
I should add that the letter 'a' in 'pasty' is short, similar to 'vastly'. Just so you can sound like you know what you're talking about when you order.

About blueberries.... timing depends on location. Very close to Lake Superior, it's colder and the berries ripen later. Gotta tell a story. My family and I went camping during the first weekend in August in the UP, back in the '80s when the kids were little. We lived downstate, north of Lansing, at the time. I thought we'd camp along the shoreline... either it was Muskallonge Lake or a forest CG near there at the time... but upon arrival the biting black flies were out in force and it was horrible. So we drove about 10 miles west into nearby Grand Marais just so we could look at Woodland Park CG there, for future reference (because we knew it would be covered with flies). As we drove past it, we spotted my wife's aunt and uncle going the other way... and they spotted us. We both circled around the block and met up. We ended up sharing a campsite and having a wonderful visit. And no flies! We were amazed! (It was like a divine appointment that proved to be a turning point in our lives.) And here's where the berries come in... my wife's aunt had heard of a blueberry patch along the H58 county road we'd just come in on, so the next morning we drove back there and found the most abundant blueberry patch I have ever seen, before or since! I could literally strip an entire handful of big, sweet, wild blueberries with each pull of my hand. It was like the Lord had put the berries there just for us, and had brought our relatives and us together there to help us get our lives on the right track.

Returning mid to late September? Perfect time to see the autumn leaves up that way.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 03:12 PM   #35

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Wisconsin
Very timely post for us. We want to head out to the Pacific northwest and couldn't figure a good route to take. Have taken US HWY 2 many times through Michigan and marveled how great it was maintained. Never thought to run it all the way west but are planning on doing it first part of June after seeing this thread. Thanks for the suggestions.
Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 03:56 PM   #36

Name: Wayne & Barbara
Trailer: Parkliner
Iowa
GPS vs MAPS

To all you folks with wanderlust, I suggest that you get yourself a good Road Atlas. We like the Rand McNally ones that cover Canada, the USA, and Mexico.
Wal Mart sells them at reduced cost with pages that list the locations of all their stores. Then study the maps before and during your trips. Even if you use a GPS machine, it gives you the big picture, and an idea of how the highways are numbered and where they go.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 03:59 PM   #37

Name: Gene
Trailer: Scamp
North Dakota
Registry
One thing I forgot to mention about US2. Unless Montana has improved it on the East end of their state in my opinion is sucks. To drive across ND on a nice 4 lane and then cross the border onto that road is a real let down. I was told by someone from Montana once that they are spending all the road money on roads on the West side were all the tourist traffic drives.
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 04:30 PM   #38

Name: Wayne & Barbara
Trailer: Parkliner
Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Masse View Post
One thing I forgot to mention about US2. Unless Montana has improved it on the East end of their state in my opinion is sucks. To drive across ND on a nice 4 lane and then cross the border onto that road is a real let down. I was told by someone from Montana once that they are spending all the road money on roads on the West side were all the tourist traffic drives.
If you are not adventurous enough to take less than perfect roads maybe you best stay home.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 06:52 PM   #39

Name: Peg
Trailer: 2016 -13' Scamp
Massachusetts
We picked up our Scamp from the factory in Backus. MN and then made our way down to Fargo for lunch at the Space Aliens Grill and Bar. A real special place! Then Hwy 94 west to Montana turned out to be a great choice. Very little traffic and good roads!
herons is offline   Reply With Quote