Cross Country Trip - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2023, 04:15 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Question Cross Country Trip

Just a quick question from the wintry NE! My Oliver is tucked nicely away under her cover waiting to go somewhere maybe mid March. My son, however, is a traveling ER nurse and has taken a contract in Madera, California at a Pediatric ER. He has been traveling for three years, an ER nurse for six and has just returned from a three month stint in Guam! This Sunday he leaves again from Ohio with his 25' Coachman Apex in tow.. He just purchased a '23 Ram Power Wagon and is looking forward to some boondocking adventures. Attached is a RV trip wizard map of the route he's planning. For all of you cross country travelers, do you have any must-see stops, attractions and/or campground/boondocking sites that you could recommend? Any route modifications you would suggest? I wish I could follow him in the Oliver but other obligations prevent it and I'd never want salt to touch her! Thank you for any help!

* His interests include off-roading, fishing, hiking, scenery....
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot (3).jpg  
csevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 04:28 PM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Watch the weather closely before you depart. I go west every winter. One year I did I70, another year I40. One year I had to do I10 all the way to Phoenix and then work my way north, through Vegas, and then backtrack to Utah (my destination). You have to be very flexible route wise. Me, the interesting stuff starts in the mountain west, so I get there as fast as I can then slow down.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 06:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Watch the weather closely before you depart. I go west every winter. One year I did I70, another year I40. One year I had to do I10 all the way to Phoenix and then work my way north, through Vegas, and then backtrack to Utah (my destination). You have to be very flexible route wise. Me, the interesting stuff starts in the mountain west, so I get there as fast as I can then slow down.
Sound Advice! Thank you!
Old 01-13-2023, 07:26 PM   #4

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Of the ones I listed, I like I-70 by far the best. The challenge is the weather through the Rockies in Colorado. I’ve gotten snow on that road the first week in June, so March takes a lot of luck. Did in January a few years ago. Waited in Golden, Colorado for a break in the weather. We didn’t drive in snow until Salina, Utah. Once you get past Cedar City, UT, it’s smooth sailing.

Again, depending on weather, you go by great stops like Colorado National Monument, the Utah Mighty Five plus Snow Canyon SP in St George, then Valley of Fire in Nevada, then Death Valley in California.

But even I40 can be challenged by weather.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 11:25 AM   #5

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
As others have said.....ya gotta watch the weather. Last year we hit blizzard conditions in Montana and South Dakota in May......ya just never know. I know it's not part of your plans....but....if you or your son have never visited the Pacific Northwest.....you've missed some really pretty country. The Pacific coast is fantastic......if you love history......visit the Northwest Carriage Museum in Raymond, Wa. One of the best museums in the country. Be safe....have fun.
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 09:08 AM   #6

Thank you all for your input! I sent him your screenshots
Old 01-15-2023, 06:16 PM   #7
M_C

Name: Mike
Trailer: Scamp
California
I am assuming he is looking for things near his planned route. There are to many great places to list. These are places we enjoy, Petrified Forest, Homolovi State Park(The sunsets are great), Sunset Crater and the Wupatki Pueblo, outside of Flagstaff and of course the Grand Canyon. If he is looking to venture further off route The Our Corners and southern Utah are among my favorites, but winter travel can be hazardous. Safe travels , may have a great trip.
M_C is offline   Reply With Quote