De-winterizing or not? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2020, 05:42 PM   #1

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
De-winterizing or not?

Who is going to leave the RV in storage for the summer? I got my Scamp out about a month ago to do some mods, they are done, and I am thinking about putting in back into the Round Top shelter. I’d save a lot of money on gas and camp ground charges, but I hear another epic road trip calling.
Most campgrounds have limited use if any, many Walmart’s are banning overnight parking (they never did allow camping). More and more, RV owners are seen as homeless vagrants. Years ago, my local Walmart had a unit stay for several days; they did not report him until he hooked up to their electrical.
On a recent trip in the south east US I found the whole east coast to be a giant no RV parking zone. Some in the mid-west ban all trucks (my f150 is a truck), others have a height limit. It’s getting harder and harder to urban boondock. I will not pay for a 2-hour nap, so I just keep driving. First picture is from a Walmart in Il, the second was taken March 2020 at Alma Wisconsin along the Mississippi river.
Attached Thumbnails
Walmart Mt Vernon.jpg   6 feet.jpg  

AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 11:36 AM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Just as well I have not De-Winterized the ParkLiner yet. It is supposed to FREEZE tonight May 8-9, at Dubuque Iowa!
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 11:52 AM   #3

Name: Ken
Trailer: Scamp 16
Anchorage
Winterized

Our Scamp & F150 were winterized & stored near Cincinnati last fall. It's likely they'll stay there all summer too.

Ken M.
Anchorage
Ken Morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 07:43 PM   #4

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0GV View Post
Who is going to leave the RV in storage for the summer? I got my Scamp out about a month ago to do some mods, they are done, and I am thinking about putting in back into the Round Top shelter. I’d save a lot of money on gas and camp ground charges, but I hear another epic road trip calling.
Most campgrounds have limited use if any, many Walmart’s are banning overnight parking (they never did allow camping). More and more, RV owners are seen as homeless vagrants. Years ago, my local Walmart had a unit stay for several days; they did not report him until he hooked up to their electrical.
On a recent trip in the south east US I found the whole east coast to be a giant no RV parking zone. Some in the mid-west ban all trucks (my f150 is a truck), others have a height limit. It’s getting harder and harder to urban boondock. I will not pay for a 2-hour nap, so I just keep driving. First picture is from a Walmart in Il, the second was taken March 2020 at Alma Wisconsin along the Mississippi river.
We are waiting to see if we can go anywhere at all this summer. If campgrounds open then we can quickly de-winterize and go. We have the rigs all cleaned up, beds made, some stuff in it but if no camping then we can leave it as is. One thought is to go see family and friends and stay at their places if possible. Truck stops, sometimes church parking lots and vacant lots in small towns are good places to overnight.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 08:09 PM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We winterized our trailer last September and parked it in our pole barn
It is still winterized and parked in the same spot
Right now if I was a betting man , I bet it will still be winterized and parked in the same spot come 2021

We’ve had to cancel two rallies, two camping trips and a fishing trip to Canada so far this year
Unless something drastically changes soon and an effective vaccine is found thisis
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 08:16 PM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We winterized our trailer last September and parked it in our pole barn
It is still winterized and parked in the same spot
Right now if I was a betting man , I bet it will still be winterized and parked in the same spot come Spring 2021
We’ve had to cancel two rallies, two camping trips and a fishing trip to Canada so far this year
Unless something drastically changes soon , which I doubt , and an effective vaccine is found this is going to be the long lost Summer , maybe a lost year ?
Looks like a long 6 months ahead sitting in front of the TV watching reruns and cussing at the constant barrage of twisted political ads!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 10:44 PM   #7

Name: Brandon and Wendy
Oklahoma
We're going camping next week at the local state park. Will be make several in state trips this summer. Planning on a two week trip later this year
SMSample is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 11:45 PM   #8

Name: Jann
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMSample View Post
We're going camping next week at the local state park. Will be make several in state trips this summer. Planning on a two week trip later this year
Looks like you live in OK. Our state parks in CO are closed until at least the end of May. Hopefully they'll open them then.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 05:07 AM   #9
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I was about to dewinterize just in case things did open up later but I'm glad I didn't. Temperatures have dropped down into the twenties and we got about 3" of snow over night. I had hoped the local NFS campgrounds might open. But with folks trapped in their homes for months already, open public campgrounds could quickly fill with people looking for an escape, something I'm sure the authorities would want to avoid.Click image for larger version

Name:	_20200509_070618.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	405.1 KB
ID:	134478
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 05:48 AM   #10

Name: mike
Trailer: CASITA
New York
I sold my casita last week and asked the new owner If he wanted me to de winterize . I thought i was I was helping him out. 24 degress as i type this. I hope he run a little heat in there
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 09:06 AM   #11

Name: Brandon and Wendy
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
Looks like you live in OK. Our state parks in CO are closed until at least the end of May. Hopefully they'll open them then.
Oklahoma state parks have remained open, luckily.

Our two week trip will depend on when things will open up. We prefer to boondock with the occasional full hook-up.
SMSample is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 11:34 AM   #12

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp 13 Layout B
Washington
We hit 80 degrees yesterday so the Scamp's de-winterized and ready to go. Washington's state parks are open for day use only so we may be moving about 20 feet and setting up camp in the back yard this summer.
sweendog is offline   Reply With Quote