Death Valley - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2007, 12:31 AM   #1

Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
Can someone give me their opinion of Death Valley N. P. camping facilities?
I drove over there yesterday to warm up as it is supposed to be in the mid 80's this week. The only camping spots that I could find were like a Wal-Mart parking lot with hookups. Acres of gravel or asphalt and nothing else.
Needless to say I was disapointed, I can camp in the Wal-Mart parking lot for nothing.
John
John Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 05:58 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Hi John -

We spent a few nights at Furnace Creek FSCG last winter and enjoyed our stay. As I recall, it was standard FS, with no hookups, just fresh water supply & restroom facility. Lots of good sun for solar setups, tho.l

Sorry you were did not find what you were looking for, & Happy Camping in the future. L 'n D
Old 03-28-2007, 07:58 PM   #3

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2002
Regarding camping in Death Valley:

We have taken a little-known, poorly-marked dirt road for the 4-hour trek to Saline Valley. The Road is west of Panamint Valley which is west of Death Valley. Take 395 from Reno or from Southern California, Highway 136 or 190 east and somehow find the long road to Saline Valley. And it is a four-hour drive. Primitive, two encampments. Natural hot springs. Spring and Fall are the best weather times. We actually spent Christmas one year.

Clothes optional.
Anne and Ellis Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 08:18 PM   #4

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
Quote:
Clothes optional.
This was the Charles Manson family favorite <strike>hide out</strike> hang out.
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 11:36 PM   #5

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
John, you must have been at Stovepipe Wells as it has hookups and is a parking lot style campground. Or you drove by Furnace Creek and saw the large parking lot, dry camp area across the road.

But the place to go is, Furnace Creek FSCG is behind the Visitors Center. It has relatively large campsites but dry. They do have a flush potty and a dump station. I can't remember if or where I got water. It doesn't seem like it was in the campground unless it was at the dump station or potty. Sort of seems like it might have been at the Gas Station next to the Visitor Center. In my humble opinion this is the nicest campground. Plus there's a golf right next door, although I haven't as yet played there, haven't been carrying my clubs on my camp trips.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote