Decided not to renew Boondockers Welcome - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camping, Campout Reports
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-02-2021, 03:25 PM   #41

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
I would tend to think high insurance rates are due more to insurance company greed than claims “lacking integrity.” The company is NOT going to be on the losing end in the final analysis.

No. The loser is you, the people who pay the premiums to cover insurance fraud and maintain the insurer's profits.
Old 05-02-2021, 04:55 PM   #42
tua

Name: Traveler
Trailer: Happier Camper
Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
No. The loser is you, the people who pay the premiums to cover insurance fraud and maintain the insurer's profits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
I am not criticizing either country’s health system. They all have shortcomings. And although it is covered under your medical, ultimately you pay dearly for it, whether it is through taxes (Canada) or insurance premiums (US).......

Well said CPW. Fraud exists in both countries and although they are monetarily recouped in different ways, it's still always the people that pay.
tua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 09:20 AM   #43

Name: Jerry
Trailer: 72 cloud, old 80s scamp
Wisconsin
Wow, heated.

I guess we all have our opinions so here's mine.

I had a friend go to another friends house and fire a handgun. It came back and got him in the neck (freak occurrence) . It resulted in extensive surgery and expenses. He told his insurance company it was from an accident on public property so the home owner wouldn't get sued.

I personally applaud him. That's MY opinion and I'm aware that other's may not agree.
Freedom of speech=not everyone has to agree but we should try to be respectful about other's opinions!
Willieswonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 10:46 AM   #44

Name: Adrian
Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA
Manitoba
Our province has "government" auto insurance and there's quite a bit of fraud. They are well onto it though and regularly publish short stories of people (not identified) who has defrauded the system. This I hope is done to dissuade potential defrauders. But as has been pointed out it's we taxpayers and insurance purchasers who get dinged by higher rates.

One benefit of our system is that both last year and this we've received cheques from MPI (Manitoba Public Insurance) because with Covid driving and thus accidents are down and they're not allowed to make a profit.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 12:49 PM   #45

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willieswonder View Post

I had a friend go to another friends house and fire a handgun. It came back and got him in the neck (freak occurrence) . It resulted in extensive surgery and expenses. He told his insurance company it was from an accident on public property so the home owner wouldn't get sued.

I personally applaud him. That's MY opinion and I'm aware that other's may not agree.
Freedom of speech=not everyone has to agree but we should try to be respectful about other's opinions!

What if the roles were reversed? If the insurance company was the one going to get sued, should he have lied and blamed his friend, to protect the insurance company? Selecting who to blame, and sacrificing your integrity in the process, simply based on how much you dislike a company, is an interesting decision. Being openly proud of, and applauding someone who lies seems like the modern way in this society where facts don't matter, and institutions deserve to be destroyed. I can understand the human frailty of taking the easy way out in a panic, but it is hard to applaud cheating or lying. Those represent a way of life based on weakness and dishonesty, that tears society apart, and is becoming the norm. It's even celebrated in our leaders, as we watch society crumble.
Old 05-03-2021, 01:13 PM   #46

Name: CalCop
Trailer: Casita
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willieswonder View Post

So being concerned for his friend being sued, this guy defrauded the insurance company. Two possible honest solutions. First make the claim against the property owners insurance. Second pay for his own medical treatment.
CalCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 01:47 PM   #47

Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
What if the roles were reversed? If the insurance company was the one going to get sued, should he have lied and blamed his friend, to protect the insurance company? Selecting who to blame, and sacrificing your integrity in the process, simply based on how much you dislike a company, is an interesting decision. Being openly proud of, and applauding someone who lies seems like the modern way in this society where facts don't matter, and institutions deserve to be destroyed. I can understand the human frailty of taking the easy way out in a panic, but it is hard to applaud cheating or lying. Those represent a way of life based on weakness and dishonesty, that tears society apart, and is becoming the norm. It's even celebrated in our leaders, as we watch society crumble.

I see your points.
I guess I should clarify a little more. I agree with most of your points.
From the little more I know of their situation his insurance company wanted to go after the property owners insurance for something he did. To protect his friend he wanted it to go all towards him because it was he who did the action to himself. It just happened to be at someone else's house.
Every situation is different. I didn't mean to insinuate that this is great in every situation! I'm not a huge fan of what's going on in this country now either.
Old 05-03-2021, 01:51 PM   #48

Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalCop View Post
So being concerned for his friend being sued, this guy defrauded the insurance company. Two possible honest solutions. First make the claim against the property owners insurance. Second pay for his own medical treatment.
What happened happened.
I applaud he didn't bring the home owners insurance into it because I feel he shouldn't be punished for his friends actions.
Paying for his own medical treatment may have been the outcome. I didn't pry when I heard.
Old 05-03-2021, 03:06 PM   #49

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Hmm. Isn’t that what I said. The insurance company isn’t going to absorb a loss, whether it is fraudulent or not. They care about nothing but the bottom line, and regularly raise rates to increase that bottom line. That’s greed with a capital G.
Except in Canada my understanding is that healt care systems are non-profit. And if someone eats lots of red meat, is obese, gets no exercise, then has a heart attack and the bills are enormous, my premiums are going up to cover the results of that person’s poor choices. And I suspect if in Canada they have more costs than they take in via taxes, the Canadian Health System bureaucracy isn’t going to shrug it off and say “Oh well. Fecal matter happens.”
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote