Devote how much time to Yellowstone? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2009, 10:04 AM   #1

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Escape
Registry
There is space at the Fishing Bridge RV Park in Yellowstone in the August 20-26 range. It will be our first trip in our yet-to-be-delivered Escape. We will have two or three corgis (medium sized dogs) with us. Kathleen has never been to Yellowstone, and I was five in 1968 on my only visit. I know very little about the place. Heck, I only learned yestarday that it is attached to Grand Teton Nat'l Park.

I would think that this will be our only significant visit to the park. I would love any advice, but in particular, how many nights should I book - or should I go for one of the non-reservable sites?

Ron
Ron Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 12:14 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
You could easily spend a week there if you wanted to do some hiking and fishing. There is so much to see and do. You can see a lot of the park in 3 or 4 days but it is worth staying longer to get a closer look.

We have always stayed on the West side either in the park or in West Yellowstone but anywhere is good. I would definately make reservations for either a park campground or a commercial one outside the park entrances if you are going in July or August.

Our last trip was only three days and all we saw was the canyon area and Old Faithful including the hot spots to and from W Yellowstone. BUT, we were there mid January and the only way into the park was by snow coach. It was a great experience that I would recommend to anyone willing to put up with -30 degrees. There are advantages to a tour since you get some history, geography, and scientific vview point.

Have a great trip.

BTW. Never made it to the Tetons. Need to do that some day.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 12:20 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I thought this topic sounded kinda familiar. Ron, you may want to read this topic, there's information you may find invaluable because of your dogs: Do you bring your dog to Nat'l Parks?, Hitting a few NPs, is it worth it to bring my dog?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 12:24 PM   #4

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
Ron, First of all I have to mention that a must for me would be to approach YS coming in the Northeast entrance Rt 212 from Red Lodge Montana. That road has got to have more scenery than any road I have been on. Its called the Bear Tooth Hwy.
A couple of folks that we met along the way said they would stay away from Fishing Bridge as far as camping went because everyone was too close. If your just using it as a stopover and not going to spend a lot of time there you may be satisfied.
When we went there 3 years ago we stayed in Mammouth campground (dry camp only). There was shared water there but only every 100 yards or so, not every site. for the first 3 days and 2 nights. We basically used that as our homebase then we headed for all the sites including the Tetons and Jackson Hole Wy. After we left we looked at the Yellowstone map and saw that Yellowstone is kind of divided into two parts like a figure eight and decided if we ever go there again (and we want to)take a couple of days in Mammouth to see the upper loop and then move to the bottom loop and stay at Grant Village. That will allow us to spend more time sightseeing and less time driving especially to the Tetons. we hurried it too much.
Now saying all that, Fishing Village may be a good location to use as a base station and I think you will spend maybe 4 days seeing most of the highlights. Our big draw would for a repeat trip would be the Bear Tooth Hwy and spend more time in the Tetons which we did a whirlwind trip the first time
Old 07-01-2009, 02:44 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Red face

Ron, We have gone twice to Yellowstone, once to Teton. I would spend as much time as possible in Yellowstone. We enjoyed our stay at Teton as well, but we were canoeing then. More varied things, landscapes to see in Yellowstone. Tetons could be seen on a day trip and/or as you leave.

Fishing Bridge did not appeal to me at all, more cramped, more big rigs, but to each his own. Not our style at all. We just went to the non-reservable areas. Therefore, I would say, go for one of the non-reservable sites. Fishing Bridge's main draw is hook-ups. Many of the other campground are reservable. But in August from what I have been told, one does not need one.

As for your dogs, I wouldn't think it would be so hot one would need to leave the A/C on to leave them in the trailer alone, maybe just a small window & a vent opened. Or take them, leaving windows opened slightly.

We stayed at Grant Village, the last time we were there, it is huge but nice campground. At the time it was all without hookups...my son stayed at Canyon and it was very nice, maybe smaller. I would believe I would try it next time. The Nat'l Park web site list what each has and has not, number of sites, hookups or not, etc. There was another one on the west side, I would consider, Norris. The first time we stayed at Bridge Bay in '86.

http://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/camp...yellowstone.htm

The ones without a Dump Station, I mark off for us. And would like Flush toilets as well, but can go without. Some are harder to get huge RVs into, maybe nice for our little guys and less crowded.

To see the Park, there is a lot of driving. Perhaps, move the base camp would be good at least once.

We stayed at the Colter Bay Campground in the Grand Tetons, not the one with hook-ups. The Colter Bay Visitor Center and Indian Arts Museum by the Colter Bay Campground is really a neat one. http://www.gtlc.com/campgrounds.aspx

Have you read these older posts: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...owstone+Camping

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...owstone+Camping

Hope you have a good visit there, we are planning on a trip back next summer.

Edit add: The US does have a pass system, somewhat like Canadian Nat'l Parks, but without as much added side benefits as the Canadian. We bought one when at Jasper and used it at Banff & Waterton as well. Then sold it to a Texian going to Alaska in Glacier.
The US Pass is called: America the Beautiful – National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass – Annual Pass - Cost $80.
– Annual Pass
This pass is available to the general public and provides access to, and use of, Federal recreation sites that charge an Entrance or Standard Amenity Fee for a year, beginning from the date of sale. The pass admits the pass holder/s and passengers in a non-commercial vehicle at per vehicle fee areas and pass holder + 3 adults, not to exceed 4 adults, at per person fee areas. (children under 16 are admitted free) The pass can be obtained in person at the park, by calling 1-888-ASK USGS, Ext. 1, or via the Internet at http://store.usgs.gov/pass.
Infomation from: http://www.nps.gov/fees_passes.htm

It just says general public for this one where as the Senior & Access Passes say for U.S. citizens or permanent residents. One would have to check if it would save you some cash by getting one & if Canadians can do so.
The Annual Pass I see does not have the a 50 percent discount on some Expanded Amenity Fees charged for facilities and services such as camping, swimming, boat launch, and specialized interpretive services like the Senior & Access Passes. Even with them it says: In some cases where Expanded Amenity Fees are charged, only the pass holder will be given the 50 percent price reduction. The pass is non-transferable and generally does NOT cover or reduce special recreation permit fees or fees charged by concessionaires.

It does not say the Annual Pass is non-transferable. Canadian were transferable from what the man told me in Jasper.
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 04:29 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Great topic Ron, one I will bookmark for a future trip to Yellowstone myself.

Great information everyone. Good idea on the pass Adrian.

We too would want to bring our dog along. He is well trained and behaves very well. He just loves camping of any kind.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 02:14 PM   #7

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette Deluxe / 1997 Toyota T-100
We just came out of Yellowstone. We were there the beginning of June it did snow on us but we were able to take are dog in the truck with out worrying about the heat. We were there for 4 days before going south (craters of the moon) to dry out and fish Silver Creek. We will be back in Yellowstone the first week of August this time we will take turns hiking and fishing because of the hot weather on the dog.
We stay at Madison camp ground. The only camp ground that has electric to run A/C (I hate generators) is Fishing Bridge
(I think).
It will be very hot on dogs other wise, camp grounds fill up fast .
D Tharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 05:49 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Arrow

I would not think an A/C would be needed in Yellowstone, unless on a very rare day. IMHO
http://www.weather.com/outlook/health/gene...ottomnav_health

At most for a left home pet, a opened vent & small window, maybe a DC powered fan if it is getting very warm inside.

Next ten days the top temp is 72 degrees F.
http://www.weather.com/outlook/health/gene...r_topnav_health
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 08:45 AM   #9

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Escape
Registry
Quote:
I would not think an A/C would be need in Yellowstone, unless on a very rare day. IMHO

At most for a left home pet, a opened vent & small window, maybe a DC powered fan if it is getting very warm inside.
This is a relief.

What is not a relief are the family finances, which might necessitate rescheduling this trip until next year. Something to do with a brand new trailer and brand new tow vehicle costing so much that we can't afford to use them.

Ron
Ron Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 07:36 PM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
This is a relief.

What is not a relief are the family finances, which might necessitate rescheduling this trip until next year. Something to do with a brand new trailer and brand new tow vehicle costing so much that we can't afford to use them.

Ron
Sorry to hear that. But, remember you don't have to go far to have fun. You may find some spectacular places to camp, etc. easily within an hour of your home. That makes for quick weekend getaways!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 07:53 PM   #11

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Hi Ron,

We just got back from a trip to Yellowstone from Vancouver Island with our 2 boys (8 and 13). It would be too bad if you couldn't make it but BC still has the best campgrounds I have found so short trips to some of the kootney campgrounds would not break the bank. Remember that gas in the USA is shockingly cheap compared to what we pay (as is beer but that's a different topic) so once you hit the border getting to Wyoming isn't that bad.

We spent 2 days at Yellowstone and it was rushed. Myself I thought the Grand Canyon was the most spectactular site - from Tower Falls to the upper falls it was all amazing. I am used to seeing a lot of wildlife where we live so the buffalo's and elk were not a big deal for us (though having them stamp through our campsite at 2:00am was a bit freaky). Old Faithful was s disappointment - the whole huge parking lot and crowds really built it up. However, some of the geysers and mudflats in the outlaying areas were very cool. I recommend what our friends in Montana told us to do - check out the Tower falls loop later in the evening to see both the beautiful views and all the wildlife that comes out at night.

We spent the first night at Mammoth campground and though it's usable it has no privacy, is very dusty and dry and is surronded on 2 sides by the main road. We then stayed at Maddison campground near the west Yellowstone entrance and though still not private (I am used to our BC parks) it was both quiet and very well setup for dry camping.

EDIT: We did not book ahead at either campground - I am a firm believer in just 'winging' it. At my work my job is all planning - I don't want to plan my vacations too!
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote