disperse camping photos - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2007, 11:14 AM   #1

Trailer: 2001 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Hi All

Anyone have pictures of some of your disperse campsites? I have stayed at some really nice campgrounds over the last 35 years but most of the stellar sites were found off dirt roads and down double tracks. Maybe we can convert some of those who stick to RV parks and campgrounds to try it. And "free" is nice.

This is a photo up on the Kaibab Plateau in AZ. I wish the shot was better but it was hazy both days I was there. But what a place to do my silver work!!!

Sebastian
Attached Thumbnails
bench_meadow_10.jpg  

https://shalyard.blogspot.com
Sebastian H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 05:03 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Hi All
Maybe we can convert some of those who stick to RV parks and campgrounds to try it. And "free" is nice.
Sebastian
Hush! We don't talk about these places.
It's like giving away your favorite fishing hole.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:08 PM   #3

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Lots of us disperse camp.. some more than others due to opportunity or better equipment.

I "disperse" camp via a trail and pack.. my rig generally won't do the way way back roads.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 04:43 PM   #4

Photos, anyone? I don't want to know where they were taken, just want to see other spots "overlook"ed by the normal scheme of things.

Old 08-15-2007, 08:19 PM   #5

Registry
OK here's a picture from last year.

[ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Panarama of our site. We were hidden from the road by a tree and brush.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:12 PM   #6

Registry

[ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Parks Creek Oregon. There's 2 or 3 other dispersed sites withing 1/4 mile.
Note the fire ring. The Forest Service just installed it. It's never been used and we didn't use it, didn't really want a fire.

[ATTACH][/ATTACH]

View from the bridge across Parks Creek.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:03 AM   #7

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
We like the dispersed sites as well. Portsmouth Island is an uninhabited barrier island on NC's Outer Banks and is a part of Cape Lookout National Seashore. Camping is free and is allowed almost anywhere on the island but the only vehicle access is by a small ferry which does have a cost.

The young boy is my nephew who'd never spent a night away from home. He was amazed at the sunrise over the Atlantic each morning (and to be totally honest, so was I).

Al
Attached Thumbnails
july06_065.jpg   july06_084.jpg  

Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 02:05 PM   #8

Trailer: none as yet
Quote:
Photos, anyone? I don't want to know where they were taken, just want to see other spots "overlook"ed by the normal scheme of things.
I was wondering; how do your cats do with camping? I have a dog and two cats and planned on taking the dog, but not sure about the cats. They are indoor cats and I sure wouldn't want them to get loose and probably lost.
Dorothy
Dorothy McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 02:13 AM   #9

Trailer: 30 ft Hawaiitchiker 5th Wheel (sold my Bigfoot)
Quote:
I was wondering; how do your cats do with camping? I have a dog and two cats and planned on taking the dog, but not sure about the cats. They are indoor cats and I sure wouldn't want them to get loose and probably lost.
Dorothy
We took 2, year old cats with us last week-end, they just stayed inside the trailer, didn't want anything to do with going outside. My wife puts a small dog harness on them and tried to get them to go out side on a leash, but they were happy just to sit and look out the window.
I would suggest you get them used to going in and out of your trailer while it is parked
at home, leave the door open and they will probally follow you in and out.
Tom R
Tom Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 06:01 AM   #10

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Sutherland reservoir in Montana; last year.
Attached Thumbnails
Sutherland_resevoir_1_1_1.JPG  
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 06:31 PM   #11

Trailer: none as yet
Quote:
We took 2, year old cats with us last week-end, they just stayed inside the trailer, didn't want anything to do with going outside. My wife puts a small dog harness on them and tried to get them to go out side on a leash, but they were happy just to sit and look out the window.
I would suggest you get them used to going in and out of your trailer while it is parked
at home, leave the door open and they will probally follow you in and out.
Tom R
That sounds like a good idea. However, I've tried putting a harness on my older cat and she somehow slips right out of it. I haven't tried with the young one, but she can probably slip out of also. I think I better leave the cats at home and just take the dog. Thanks for your reply.
Dorothy
Dorothy McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 02:18 PM   #12

Dorothy

My two cats do fine when we are out camping. I leave a locker door open so they can go in and out all day. I bring them in a night. They are not allowed out at campgrounds unless I am walking them on a leash.

A couple of weeks ago, two dogs came through my camp. I guess they must have been at a site farther down the road. Anyway, Meadow freaked and took off up a tree. Here's a zoom of her up there and another of what I had to do to reach the lowest, stable branch so I could climb up and bring her down. This probably confirms your choice of keeping your cats indoors. I'll see if I can attach a photo of my window cage.

Sebastian
Attached Thumbnails
meadowuptree_8.jpg   tree_climb_8.jpg  

LO_cage_B_8.jpg  

Old 09-03-2007, 01:46 PM   #13

Trailer: Boler 17 ft
Our cat Kip loved camping with us, and as we don't usually camp at campgrounds, there were no rules re leashes, etc.

I had seen her hunt ravens twice her size in our back yard, and on the last night we saw her she was probably hunting eagles. (She kept going down the pathway to where a river meets the sea where eagles were feeding on salmon, then racing into the Boler at full speed and hiding. Then a few minutes leter, she was back at the shore. Back and forth all weekend long, until she didn't come back.)

There is wildlife all over the area, including sometimes sauntering down our residential roads, so taking an outdoor cat camping is no more dangerous than living on a street where cars drive by, operated by distracted mothers or show-offish teens.
CharlynnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 06:55 PM   #14

Trailer: Play Pac ('Egg Krate')
Went to a dulcimer gathering at a friend's over Labor Day. What a beautiful area. So peaceful and quiet. I had a box fan with me and only used it for a bit on Saturday, because the trailer was stuffy. A friend and I used cots inside the trailer and found there was plenty of room. Though if you do what I did and didn't level the trailer, you do have a possibility of waking up in the middle of the night with parts of you hanging off the cot.

Here's a picture:

Old 09-14-2007, 08:32 AM   #15

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
We were on an Alaskan cruise. The ship entered the Tracy Arm fjord and traveled about 10 miles inland from the ocean to view the South Sawyer glacier. There were hundreds of passengers on deck watching the wilderness glide by when folks started pointing at a small island to the starboard side. There was a small yellow tent and 2 people standing and looking back at us. No boat. Talk abound boondocking.
Tom Trostel

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/ViewPhoto?...&p=75853463
Old 09-20-2007, 03:10 AM   #16

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft / Chevy Astrovan
Quote:
We were on an Alaskan cruise. The ship entered the Tracy Arm fjord and traveled about 10 miles inland from the ocean to view the South Sawyer glacier. There were hundreds of passengers on deck watching the wilderness glide by when folks started pointing at a small island to the starboard side. There was a small yellow tent and 2 people standing and looking back at us. No boat. Talk abound boondocking.
Tom Trostel
http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/ViewPhoto?...&p=75853463
I wonder if they had a kayak out of sight on the back side, or got dropped off.
There's nothing quite so wonderful as being smack-dab out in the middidle of nowhere.
Connie M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 11:31 AM   #17

Trailer: 1974 Ventura
Good Morning Tom Trotsel, I so enjoyed your pics of your cruise. My favorite was somewhere between the desserts and the purple Dahlia's in Butchart Gardens. The quality of your photo's are just incredible. Who would have thunk campers in the middle of nowhere! Thankyou so much for sharing them Tom. A most favorable interlude in the complexities of life.
bonnie w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 07:22 PM   #18

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cabellas.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	10806

Last month we pulled off I-80 in Nebraska at the Cabella's RV site they maintain beside their big store. Just needed someplace to stop for the night on our way back to Jersey. When the RV campground manager asked what hook-ups we needed our answer was none. She said, well in that case, handing me magnetic key card to their really wonderful shower room/bathroom, there'll be no charge!

On the same trip, this time in Iowa, it was getting dark fast and we had to stop, so when signs for Dexter, Iowa also indicated a camping site we pulled off I-80 to find it. This one wasn't beside the highway, but we got there easy. Again, no hook-ups, rudimentary but decent shower room, only three other rigs there, and we paid $10, I think it was, into a drop box.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dexter356.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	10807
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 10:40 AM   #19

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
One of my favourites!
Attached Thumbnails
P8030062.JPG  
Rick B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 11:29 AM   #20

Trailer: Hunter Compact II
One of my favorite spots to get away is in Sequoia National Monument at Parker Meadow. The Trail of 100 Giants sequoia grove is just a few miles away. The dirt road going back to the camp is not marked off the main dirt road and hard to find if not looking. It's one of many fire safe areas that are listed on a free fire safe camping areas map available from the Sequoia Forest ranger stations. Elevation is 6,000ft so it's subject to snow this time of year.
Attached Thumbnails
parker.jpg  
Mike Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote