Dispersed camping in Az - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2013, 03:01 PM   #1

Trailer: Scottsman Roamer
Dispersed camping in Az

I am looking ( in AZ ) for some good ( with pine/other trees) spots to go camping ( non Fee ) With the extended family (2 trailers & 2-3 tents, several cars/trucks) Jim W.
James R Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:03 PM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
The "non fee" part might be the most difficult. I hope someone has a good suggestion. What time of year are you thinking about camping? Makes a big difference.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:31 PM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
James have you taken a look at the BML Arizona webpage. I stayed last December a couple of nights at a dispersed site on the Colorado River - it was about half way between Lake Havasu and Yuma. There is a map on the website that shows you all BML dispersed location's.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:18 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I truly believe that members of FiberglassRV don't think that dispursed camping... means drianing gray water (or worse black water) under some "bush." You are ALL stewards of what happens after you leave a site or area.... think ahead....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:33 PM   #5

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by james r williams View Post
i am looking ( in az ) for some good ( with pine/other trees) spots to go camping ( non fee ) with the extended family (2 trailers & 2-3 tents, several cars/trucks) :thanx: Jim w.
James,
your restrictions of no fee & pine/other trees is doable in the summer months in our higher elevations along the Mogollon Rim or in the White Mountains, but not accessible in winter do to snow or mud. Winter camping in the desert on BLM or State Trust Land is free, but National Forrest requires fee's.
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:09 PM   #6

Trailer: Scottsman Roamer
Dispersed camping az

Oops ! I meant in the wormer months Jim W.
James R Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:43 PM   #7

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I truly believe that members of FiberglassRV don't think that dispursed camping... means drianing gray water (or worse black water) under some "bush." You are ALL stewards of what happens after you leave a site or area.... think ahead....
I would hope your right Donna, I try and leave no trace. The term used by Arizona BML is actually "Dispersed Camping" and there website reads: "Camping on public lands away from developed recreation facilities is referred to as "dispersed camping."" Camping in areas designated dispersed is free for up to 14 days at a time. But the rules are pack in and pack out and sewage or gray water, cannot be disposed of in any manner that would pollute the surrounding area.

Mirram Websters online defines dispersed as: To cause to become spread widely and to cause to evaporate or vanish.

I tend to think of that as having trailers spread around vast lands and causing them to vanish from the local KOA
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:45 PM   #8

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
James,
your restrictions of no fee & pine/other trees is doable in the summer months in our higher elevations along the Mogollon Rim or in the White Mountains, but not accessible in winter do to snow or mud. Winter camping in the desert on BLM or State Trust Land is free, but National Forrest requires fee's.
This Mogollon Rim/ White Mountains area sounds good. I take it this is national forest land you're talking about here, not BLM? Are dispersed camping locations on NF land in this area fairly plentiful and easy to find on the spur of the moment? Or does one need to have an idea about certain spots ahead of time? Have MVUM's been published that visitors must obtain to find allowable roads for dispersed camping?

I hope to visit this area myself some summer before long. (Has sounded too smoky the past two years though, I think.)
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:35 AM   #9

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
James have you taken a look at the BML Arizona webpage. I stayed last December a couple of nights at a dispersed site on the Colorado River - it was about half way between Lake Havasu and Yuma. There is a map on the website that shows you all BML dispersed location's.
What she said. Also look into State Trust Land's website and National Forest, as their fees are only a few dollars a night.
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote