East coast camping in March to escape winter. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2019, 06:54 PM   #1

Name: Dan
Trailer: Scamp
Pennsylvania
East coast camping in March to escape winter.

I am in PA but looking for a good resort for a one week March trip in our scamp. We are looking for relatively warm weather (compared to March in PA) and a resort with shower/bath facilities. We enjoy rural camping within 30 minutes of an interesting town. We just did Nashville in the fall and it was awesome. Any suggestions?
Dan in Philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 07:32 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Myrtle Beach S.C. has two state parks. Huntington Beach S.P. is just south of MB on the ocean. There is a nice plantation turned into a garden and sculpture display (Brookgreen Gardens, $18) across the street. Should be azalea time in Mar. Just south is Pawley Island and Georgetown with an interesting Rice Museum and other stuff to see. The Huntington home/castle is in the park, take the home/castle tour first then visit Brookgreen. MB SP has a fishing pier about 10 miles north and Myrtle Beach has the normal beach stuff and shopping. If you have kids there are kid themed RV resorts in MB. This was our Mar. spring trip when in Va.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 09:16 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Eddie is right on about Huntington Beach State Park, but when we were there a few times in Early March on our way back North it was cooler than we liked. A resort type campground just in from Myrtle Beach is Willow Tree which is real nice and has a pool and hot tub. We have stayed at Rivers End on Tybee Island and Skidaway SP, both near Savannah GA. The sites at Rivers End are close but it's a short walk to the beach. We spent a few winters on Jekyll Island GA, the island is great, the campground not so great. Coastal Georgia RV Park is just off Jekyll on the mainland and is a more upscale campground. Fort Clinch SP in northern Florida is nice if you can get a site in the beach loop. Also the St Augustine area is nice, with a few choices of campgrounds. Been there a couple times but stayed in the state park, Anastasia. Took the trolley tour then walked around the historic area.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 07:21 AM   #4

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
I've stayed at Myrtle Beach State Park and it is very close to ocean. The campground is wooded and a boardwalk takes you to the beach. https://southcarolinaparks.com/myrtle-beach/camping

I plan on staying at Buck Hall Recreation Area which is just north of Charleston, SC (about 30 miles) and located in the Francis Marion Forest. If you have an America the Beautiful pass, I believe you can use it here.
https://www.recreation.gov/camping/campgrounds/234128
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 07:35 AM   #5

New York
Buck Hall certainly isn't a "resort" campground but it is on the intercostal waterway. We had three nights booked there in March a couple years ago but bailed out after one night because it was so buggy. Cheap though with the Senior Pass. Friends were at Myrtle Beach Travel Park so we went there. It's on the ocean and is more of a resort type park, sandy sites with water, electric, sewer, cable TV, and little shelters that long term campers close in to be a little room. Early March was too cool to sit on the beach. Ocean Lakes in Myrtle Beach is supposed to be nice. We only stayed in the area a few days as we were heading home after being out all winter.
Old 12-30-2019, 08:25 AM   #6

Name: Rebecca
Trailer: Amerigo
North Carolina
Have you tried the Outer Banks in NC? They've got a range of camping styles from primitive state park camping right on the beach to huge full service KOA resorts.

If you enjoy nightlife, putt putt and more of the touristy attractions, stay in Nags Head or Kill Devil Hills. Lots of shopping and restaurants, and a few fun history markers, like the Wright Brothers museum (see where the first flights happened) and Jockeys Ridge state park (the largest sand dunes on the East coast). You can easily check out Manteo island from here and see the history of the Lost Colony.

If you enjoy peace, quiet, empty beaches, wildlife, etc, stay on Ocracoke Island. It's only accessable by ferry and it's a fun experience pulling a camper onto a boat for an hour+ ferry ride! The village is small and has a ton of character and history (Blackbeard the pirate used to call this island home!). There are lots of cute artsy shops and the restaurants are all locally owned and operated so the food is all amazing. There are three campgrounds here, two have hookups, and the National Park campground does not, but it has bathhouses. Make sure to check out the Ocracoke lighthouse, the oldest operating lighthouse in the state.

If your style is a bit of both, try staying in Avon, Rodanthe, or Waves. They are a good mix, with some great restaurants and fun activities for kids and teens. The KOA is in this area and is impressive in and of itself. Watersports are big here too, so take time to go watch the kiteboarders on the Pamlico sound.

The weather year-round is milder than most places due to its proximity to the gulf stream. March is a great time to visit since it's not too crowded.
Becca C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 09:38 AM   #7

New York
We have been on the Outer Banks camping a few times and once in a rental house. When at the rental house in April, which was 4th back from the beach, it was so windy we couldn't be on the beach at all. But the most memorable trip there was when we were camping at Oregon Inlet and a microburst blew in. Torrential rain and high wind, tents blew away, three pop-up campers had the roof blown off and another was blown over on it's side. Also fun was watching people that drove on the beach get stuck out there. But we will probably go back if it fits in our travel plans. If you go be sure to go to Duck Donuts.
Old 12-30-2019, 10:27 AM   #8

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
The Outer Banks government run campgrounds in Hatteras National Seashore are all closed this time of year. The problem with Outer Banks in the winter is the wind. You can luck out and get a nice day or 2 or you can have temps in the 40's with winds at 30 knots or more.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 09:50 AM   #9

Name: Jerry
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II
South Carolina
Charleston SC

Dan- I live in Charleston SC and would concur with all the suggestions offered above. Huntington Beach SP is one of our finest state parks but tends to be booked months ahead, especially in the spring, summer and fall. However, there are often cancellations that come up if you are faithful checking.

March is an unpredictable month in the Lowcountry of SC. Weather can be cold, to down right beautiful, seems like every year is different. But cold to us and cold to you are two different things. Beaches tend to be a tad windy in March and April and about 10 degrees cooler than inland. Most often sunshine is abundant and quickly warms the fresh spring air.

Charleston is a beautiful city with world class dining, much history and a emerging music scene. Check out the Charleston Music Hall for upcoming shows. There is a KOA in Mt. Pleasant (between downtown Charleston and the beach) that many like. Additionally, James Island County Park is located relatively close to downtown and is a clean, lay back facility.

Near Beaufort SC, we like Hunting Island State Park and in March bug problems will be minimal.

Hope you find just the right place. As a side note I am trying to sell a 2015 Casita Independence 17' FG trailer. I would appreciate you letting any friends know of this opportunity. PM me if you have more specific questions about Charleston or the trailer. Blessings...
Jerrymcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 11:23 AM   #10

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Right now it is in the 50's in Pennsylvania near Philadelphia.....and no snow in the long range forecasts.
Old 01-04-2020, 01:14 PM   #11

Name: William
Trailer: Scamp
Lakeville, CT
We stayed at Pirateland in Myrtle Beach last March and enjoyed it. We don’t usually go commercial but it was offseason so pretty empty and reasonable. We camped very close to the ocean and clean restrooms. About 1/4 mile away was a decent indoor pool.

The place itself was fascinating with all the different styles and timescales of camping present. Fun to walk or bike around.
biw314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 03:03 PM   #12

Trailer: Bigfoot
If you want warm, come to Miami

We are staying at Larry and Penny Thompson Memorial park in Miami. Adjacent to the Miami zoo. 84 deg here today and sunny, short term stays are easier, but long term is hard to get. Beautiful park, with swimming pool, club house, lots of places to hike or bike. https://www.miamidade.gov/parks/larry-penny.asp
Rob and Dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 04:17 PM   #13

Name: ROY AND BETH
Trailer: BIGFOOT 21 FB
Florida
Registry
Try St Augustine

Compass RV resort in St Augustine has seriously clean bathrooms, and is close to all the attractions. Might be a bit of a haul for you but they have it heated cool and a Saturday buffet breakfast.
nefldiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 05:02 PM   #14

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I would go at least as far south as Charleston, SC, and probably continue on to St Augustine personally. March weather can vary greatly in the SE. Lots to do in both Charleston and St Augustine. Avoid Daytona Bike Week, typically the crowds start further south than St Augustine. I have no problem with Daytona Bike Week, I have gone there at least a dozen times over the years. But stuff in the surrounding area gets really crowded, and the traffic is crazy.

Both Charleston and St Augustine are must see places if you haven't spent time in those two cities.

I've stayed at the state park in St Augustine Beach, excellent!

https://www.floridastateparks.org/anastasia

I-95 can be one continuous rolling backup through the Carolinas, Georgia and Florida. Patience is key...
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 06:06 AM   #15

Trailer: Casita Patriot
Registry
Quote:
I plan on staying at Buck Hall Recreation Area which is just north of Charleston, SC (about 30 miles) and located in the Francis Marion Forest. If you have an America the Beautiful pass, I believe you can use it here.
Quote:
Buck Hall certainly isn't a "resort" campground but it is on the intercostal waterway. We had three nights booked there in March a couple years ago but bailed out after one night because it was so buggy
buck hall is a "diamond in the rough" campground. with only 14 rv sites that are mostly far apart it never is crowded. i know this campground well as i spent 6 years hosting there in march and april. sunrises over the intercoastal can be stunning. some of the best seafood on the coast is within easy drives (and a lot less expensive than charelston but don't expect to be served by waitpersons dressed to the nines...local ladies that call you "hun" is what you'll get). if a laid back, restful campground with little else to do but relax suits you you should go. if you're looking for "entertainment" there's not much available (local music festivals on the weekends is about it). there were water and bathhouse issues in recent years but, as far as i know those have been resolved. i have a week reserved at the hall mid march for my first return since i retired from forest service hosting 2 years ago. the bug issue still remains as i doubt anything can be done about that, but, hey it's camping.

oh...and remember the biggest snowstorm in sc that i recall was in march...

p@
patrick crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 06:30 AM   #16

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Great thread to escape the gray skies....

Tags
escape