EggCamper - Yellowstone (West Yellowstone, MT) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2012, 03:06 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
EggCamper - Yellowstone (West Yellowstone, MT)

I am currently on a solo midlife journey for seven weeks in my EggCamper. I had taken two short trips for a total of five nights to practice prior to taking out on this journey.

I spent Sept 21-25 in Grand Teton NP and Sept 25-Oct 1 in West Yellowstone, MT. I stayed in the national park (Colter Bay) in Grand Teton. I had electric, sewer and water. Wifi was available in the laundry/shower building. I had no cell service (Sprint) in most of Nebraska and all of Wyoming including West Yellowstone. The smoke was so bad from the wildfires that you really could not see the Tetons. I personally think for me even if the views had been great that one day would have been enough for me in Grand Tetons.

I spent four full days in Yellowstone and loved it. I saw most of what was available. One road was closed to Tower Falls.

I did stay at Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone. It was not cheap but I really enjoyed it. Full hook up with cable and limited wifi.

I know that many of you are dedicated "campground" people and love being off the grid. I will tell you that I personally like my creature comforts as well as being a female traveling alone I have to consider the safety of where I choose to stay.

After Yellowstone I went to Salt Lake City for five days and currently I am in Albuquerque for the Balloon Fiesta (dry camping with a generator).

I will try to post some photos later and another entry for Salt Lake City and Albuquerque when I figure out how to post photos on here.
Ms. Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:14 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
What a great adventure you're having. The longest trip we've had in our EggCamper has only been six nights. I've suggested a multi-week trip like yours to my wife, but she can't bear being away from all of her interests and friends at home for more than a couple of weeks. I know what you mean about creature comforts, it it gets warm, I want air conditioning! And when I wake up I want to be able to have a cup of freshly brewed coffee ready for me within a matter of minutes, if not seconds.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:36 AM   #3

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Last year we took our new Egg Camper to Montana and Idaho driving a bit over 5000 miles. Mostly we just wandered seeing places we had not seen before. This summer we did the same for about 3000 miles to-in-back home from Pennsylvania. Next month we're going to do the same on the way to-there-and back home from South Carolina and Georgia. That's really what we've always done aside from snowbirding.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:40 PM   #4

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
We so enjoyed both Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons last year at this time! We stayed in the Grand Tetons for 4 days and will definitely go back because they have many more hiking trails than does Yellowstone. We love the rugged beauty of the mountains there. Yes, we camp mostly for the hiking experience and we camp mostly off the grid, however, we do appreciate our luxuries as well. A highlight was dinner at the Grand Tetons Lodge. Take a look at their website National Park Dining: Jackson Hole Restaurants - Grand Teton Lodge Company. This historic lodge has a great room with massive fireplaces and a floor to ceiling window view of the prairie and the mountains beyond that is not to be believed! The restaurant has historic murals of Indian life and the same view out the windows. Our meal was one of the best we have had in our lives (Did we say we are native San Franciscans?)

I too, want to go to the balloon festival one year. Unfortunately, my husband does not like big gatherings. I may just have to go solo and you give me inspiration to do so. I can hardly wait to see your photos!
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:20 AM   #5

Name: gayle
Trailer: 1990 13' Scamp
Maryland
Wishing you a wonderful and safe trip!!

From another gayle with a Y - and also a solo traveler!!
katmaicub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:23 PM   #6

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Hey Gayle from Maryland, nice to know a member here so close to home. Try to come to the rallies we have here in Pa and New York and meet other fellow forum members.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:52 PM   #7

Name: gayle
Trailer: 1990 13' Scamp
Maryland
Thanks Jim - I certainly hope to!!

I was up in PA two weekends ago and stayed in Ricketts Glen State Park - was there to hike the Falls Trail - Awesome!! If anyone likes to hike and likes waterfalls then put this on your must see list!!! A four mile hike with 21 waterfalls!!!

Great time! I'm a former tent person so every night that I'm tucked inside my Scamp is heaven!

Gayle
katmaicub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:15 PM   #8

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Gayle View Post
The smoke was so bad from the wildfires that you really could not see the Tetons. I personally think for me even if the views had been great that one day would have been enough for me in Grand Tetons.

I spent four full days in Yellowstone and loved it. I saw most of what was available. One road was closed to Tower Falls. .
Sounds like you had a good trip. I love Yellowstone but I liked Grand Teton just as much and was sorry I didnt stay longer. Last year I stayed at the Gros Ventre campground at the Teton's and loved it as it was close enough to check out Jackson Hole in the evenings & the campground was far less crowded and more rustic (real camping) with lot of wildlife wondering through the campground - not at all like the wall to wall campsites I stayed in at Yellowstone.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eggcamper