Elkmont, GSMNP, TN. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2015, 07:18 PM   #1

Name: Bill
Trailer: 1981 Burro 13'
North Carolina
Elkmont, GSMNP, TN.

Just took my "new to me" 1980 Burro 13' to Elkmont. The "maiden" voyage was great and I identified some modifications I need to make, but over all, it was all good.

For those who've not been up in the Great Smoky Mountains before, for about three weeks from now 'til mid-June, the fire flies at night are spectacular, especially for the kids. These are not your back yard fires flies, but synchronous fire flies. They all turn on and off together with on/off cycles ranging from three to five seconds. It's like watching "the wave" at a football game, but here it is magical lights in the middle of the dark night woods. Go up the hill just after dark and stay as late as you will to wonder at this beautiful sight.
Old 06-06-2015, 10:12 AM   #2

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Hi Bill, sounds like a great first trip. We had all sorts of good intentions to check out the synchronous fire flies but missed them again this year. We were in the area at Horse Cove campground in Nantahala NF from Sunday through Thursday but the thunder storms each day kept us close to the CG. There were quite a few fire flies around each evening, certainly more and brighter than those we have in the eastern part of the state but not the show I've heard they put on in the Smokies.

If you camp much in that area and aren't familiar with Horse Cove, it would be worth a visit. Its a small, eighteen site, USFS campground just outside Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest near Robbinsville. Flush johns but no showers and only $10/night ($5 w/geezer pass).

Site 12

The sites on the left side of the upper loop border a creek on the back. This was directly behind and below our site. Sure made for some peaceful background noise.

Hope to see you on the road some day - Al
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 11:23 AM   #3

Name: Bill
Trailer: 1981 Burro 13'
North Carolina
Al and Cindy,

I will definitely check out Horse Camp. That is a beautiful area and I'm always looking for and getting advice on the next great spot to camp. The good news about the synchronous fire flies at Elkmont is that they will be there again next year and the next. Look for my "battleship grey" 1980 Burro 13' whenever you are up that way, I'd love to meet you. I hope to be flying both the American and Marine Corps flags from the campers tongue when all is completed with the remod. Enjoy your summer.