Fall campout at Tahquamenon Falls - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2017, 01:31 PM   #1

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Fall campout at Tahquamenon Falls

I just made my reservation for the Lower Falls Campground at Tahquamenon Falls State Park in the UP of Michigan. Surprisingly, I have never been to this park.

I reserved site 77 for Oct. 4 - 11. There are other sites still available if anyone wishes to join me. I plan to hike to the Falls, do some day hikes on the North Country National Scenic Trail, visit Whitefish Point and the Shipwreck Museum, and any other activities that strike my fancy. This should be close to the peak color time for the eastern UP so some photography outings are also on the agenda.

Hopefully the weather cooperates and it will be a nice, relaxing fall respite.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 10:00 PM   #2

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Sounds like a great time Lyle, but we won't be there this year
I would encourage anyone who could work it into their schedule, make it so.
That area is so beautiful, and if the colors are at or near peak, it will be awesome.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 09:40 AM   #3

Name: Susan
Trailer: Casita wanted
Missouri
Lower tahquamenon falls

We were there in mid August! Go to crisp point if you can and see the Lighthouse and eat at browns fisheries in Paradise! Have fun from sue in missouri!
MOSue56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 09:49 AM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
That is very inviting, but we have to see the doctor on the 4th.
We have been there, Its a very nice place.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 11:27 AM   #5

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleB View Post
I just made my reservation for the Lower Falls Campground at Tahquamenon Falls State Park in the UP of Michigan. Surprisingly, I have never been to this park.

I reserved site 77 for Oct. 4 - 11. There are other sites still available if anyone wishes to join me. I plan to hike to the Falls, do some day hikes on the North Country National Scenic Trail, visit Whitefish Point and the Shipwreck Museum, and any other activities that strike my fancy. This should be close to the peak color time for the eastern UP so some photography outings are also on the agenda.

Hopefully the weather cooperates and it will be a nice, relaxing fall respite.
We were at all the places you have mentioned last summer. It is awesome. Just don't hurry. The Shipwreck Museum and Whitefish Point is an all day thing. There are 2 falls and they are a long distance apart. Both are worth it. We drove to them and just hiked short distances to see them. Have fun. We'd love to see them again in the fall.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 09:28 AM   #6

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Got back home yesterday from the UP. Weather was GREAT. Rain on Friday night and most of the day on Saturday (off and on) but the rest of the time was mostly sunny and warm. Night time temps in the low 50's, high 40's.

The color was nice, not what I would call peak, still a lot of green. According to locals, however, the winds have been pretty high, so the leaves are being blown off the trees as they change color - not expecting a GREAT color show this year. Still pretty beautiful.

Was surprised to find a Burro already set up in a nearby campsite when I arrived, later that afternoon a 16 ft Scamp Deluxe pulled in nearby also. Obviously visited with all these folks. The 16 ft was just a year old from Iowa. Has the front dinette with side bath, exactly one of the layouts I would very seriously consider if I decide to buy a new one. Got a good chance to check out the bath size, and while small, I think it would be more than adequate for as often as I might use it, about a total of 15 minutes/week (three 5 minute showers). I have a difficult time justifying the amount of room a bath takes up in such small trailers vs the amount of time they are used.

Later in the week another 16 foot scamp pulled through the campground, they waved, but didn't stop. Also saw two different 13 foot Scamps parked, one in the upper falls parking lot and one in the lower falls parking lot. Seems molded fiberglass, particularly Scamps, are popular around here.

Also ended up giving several "tours" of my Scamp, both at the campground and while traveling. This was probably the most interest I've seen on any of my trips during the past couple of years.

Anyway, had a great time. I did find one rivet that has a slight leak, so need to replace it soon. This will be the first time I need to replace a rivet, will have to read up on it.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 10:02 AM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
We found the Scamp 16 deluxe w/ front bath and side dinette was best for us two. The bed stayed up full time, and provided extra storage underneath.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fall