Favorite Boondocking/fishing spots - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2017, 08:04 PM   #1

Name: Mark
Trailer: currently shopping
Missouri
Favorite Boondocking/fishing spots

I love reading about great boondocking places on here. I would like to hear some good fishing spots with hassle free boondocking. I'll start...

For smaller trailers, Turner Mill access on the Eleven Point River in extreme south central Missouri. The EP is a National Ozark Scenic Riverways that is stocked with rainbow trout. Turner Mill access provides wading water in normal to low river levels. Turner Mill begins the White Ribbon Area - no bait or size restrictions - and more likely than not to catch supper. Bank paths allow wading and bank fishing along a half mile stretch. Camping on south side only, North Access is site of old Turner Mill wheel still standing, and Turner Springs pouring out of the rocky bluff.
Busy canoe drop off spot for canoes, so some day traffic in summer. But off season expect very little traffic and mostly solitude at night. Campfires legal. A short 5 miles float from upstream Greer Access to Turner, or from Turner down to Whitten access 7 miles. Both beautiful floats thru the Missouri Ozarks on fed protected river - no cabins or private property, pull over wherever you like on gravel bars. And great fishing!!
About 5 miles of gravel road off of St. Rd. AA near Alton. MO. Steep road leading down to river, 4 wheel drive may be needed for a trailer, Loop drive at bottom so no worries once you get to river.

Something about a campfire at night along a river, and the sounds of the moving stream makes great sleeping.

Looking forward to others favorite places to boondock and catch fish......
Missouri Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 08:32 AM   #2

Name: Charles
Trailer: Scamp 16
Ohio
This place is great
https://www.aep.com/environment/conservation/recland/
cmartin748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 10:48 AM   #3

Missouri
Bummer!! No one wants to share fishing spots!!
Old 11-29-2017, 02:06 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Mark View Post
Bummer!! No one wants to share fishing spots!!
It's NOT not wanting to share, it's that all fishing spots in my part of the world are also boondocking spots, even in campgrounds no hookups. Near cities you can find RV resorts (parks) and State Parks with hookups and both are crowded.
Old 11-30-2017, 08:34 AM   #5

Missouri
Not sure if I follow you Byron, but I am interested in places to boondock and fish. And avoid RV resorts and state parks too. Understand if you don't want to give away your secret spots, but see you are from Oregon. The only time I would be in Oregon most likely will be on my retirement trip to the Pacific Northwest, and still 1-2 yrs away from that. I've never been to that part of the country and would be interested in picking your brain on fishing.
Old 11-30-2017, 08:49 AM   #6

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17SD
Florida
Lots of great fishing in FL, and lots of places to boondock - we're camping at Okaloacoochee Slough this weekend, which is a State Forest with primitive campsites. Have not fished there before, but will be giving it a try.

Check the state forest website, as well as the various water management districts - South Florida, SW Florida, NW Florida etc.
DeBreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 08:57 AM   #7

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
spots

debreeze how far is this spot from the ocean?

thanks

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 08:58 AM   #8

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Best boondocking and fishing spots are the ones you find yourself, and don't spoil by telling the world about them.

That might explain the lack of enthusiasm.

The internet, continual population increase and boom in trailer and side-by-side ATV sales are the reason many of my favorite spots are overrun and trashed.

Just to rain on this parade
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 08:58 AM   #9

Missouri
favorite

we took up trouting this year our favorite place is Bennett springs state park Lebanon mo about 11/2 hours away.

primitive camping 11.00 for seniors

bob
Old 11-30-2017, 09:02 AM   #10

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
The internet, continual population increase and boom in trailer and side-by-side ATV sales are the reason many of my favorite spots are overrun and trashed.

Just to rain on this parade
Amen to that! I pick up trash when I hike. When I was doing this 20+ years ago, what I picked up would fit in a gallon ziplock, now I can fill half a kitchen sized garbage bag! The disposable diapers are the WORST!!!
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 09:07 AM   #11

Missouri
Yep my brother goes to Okeechobee every yr in Feb/March and catch crappie.

Understand about not giving away honey holes. Though I have found on here that not that many into fishing, and I didn't mind sharing my favorite off the beaten path fishing spot since I am confident that only a couple people will even think about going there.
Old 11-30-2017, 10:02 AM   #12

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
The best places we have found to boondock and fish are in Northern Ontario and Manitoba Canada. We use to go to Northern Minnesota but that is no longer possible or practical
The BWCA once was the place to go but now it is over crowded
and lacking any solitude.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 10:05 AM   #13

Missouri
Wow, BWCA is on my bucket list and actually thinking of going next summer. Didn't realize it has become crowded.
Old 11-30-2017, 11:12 AM   #14

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
debreeze how far is this spot from the ocean?

thanks

bob
Bob,
It's inland, about 30 miles east of Ft Myers. The fishing is freshwater. There are places closer to the Gulf or the Ocean, although it's probably less than an hour from Ft Myers Beach, which is probably the closest.

Beachfront or near the beach camping is more common in NW Florida, but there are other places scattered around, like Fort Desoto near St. Pete, and Long Key in the keys (closed due to hurricane) Hard to book the beachfront areas in season.
Old 11-30-2017, 11:15 AM   #15

Florida
Quote:
Yep my brother goes to Okeechobee every yr in Feb/March and catch crappie.
My dad was an avid crappie guy. The place we're going is SW of the big lake.
Old 11-30-2017, 01:13 PM   #16

Missouri
ocean front

well I am not prepared to pay ocean front rent so I will be an inland guy I suppose. I bet the walmarts don't allow camping near it either oh well! I just found out don't plan on boondocking in Branson.

big ticket

bob
Old 12-04-2017, 04:48 PM   #17

Name: Bob
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Georgia
Most National Forests allow "dispersed camping" (i.e. boondocking) anywhere that's not posted otherwise. But outside of designated, planned (usually fee) camping areas, you're often talking about just a place here and there to fit a small trailer. The NF in north GA has at least one stream-side area specifically designated as "dispersed camping" with lantern hooks, and fire rings, I think, but the road in is a little tough; sites would be fine for anything on this board, if you got in there.
Also in GA, Wildlife Management Areas also often have designated camping areas, with room enough to put a bunch of hunters or fishers; the fishing used to require an additional license on WMAs (may still for places designated Public Fishing Areas), and the camping is free, though self-contained. Your state may have something similar available.
Thinking about options I know of around here, I'd want to scout things out before just setting out, but that can be half the fun.
Good luck.
FishingBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 05:22 PM   #18

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Wow, BWCA is on my bucket list and actually thinking of going next summer. Didn't realize it has become crowded.
They have redone their reservation system and have limited entry and the daily permits .The last time we went there on a fishing trip we had the misfortune of camping near a bunch of drunken 20 somethings.
I do not want to discourage you from experiencing the BWCA , it's just that what we went there for ( Solitude) was getting harder to find.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking