First trip out in '70 Boler - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2007, 10:02 PM   #1

Trailer: Trillium 5500
Well, after some work on the interior of the boler, and waiting for a hitch install on our new Ridgeline, we finally got the Boler out on the road.

Thought we would take it fairly close to home, so just went up Vancouver Island to Nanaimo. Trailer is 1970, so we weren't sure how well it was going to tow -- towed fine, had it up to 110K and kept tracking just fine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0602_1.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	9717

We camped at the Living Forest Campground right in Nanaimo. we had no reservation, and the campground was also being used by a Francophone orgnaization running a french camp for the week, so it was busy! we got one of the last sites for that night, and found ourselves beside a couple with a trillium from Port Coquitlam -- the only 2 FG trailers in the site!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0604_1.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	9718

Some things we learned

- need to get an adapter for our power cord (power hookup at our site was only the 3 prong marine style).
- boler needs tongue weight, so heavy stuff went at the front of the trailer.
- cooking in the boler does get warm, but isn't as bad as i thought it would be. for future, i may only bring the one burner Coleman stove, as i also had the Cobb cooker in tow.
- an exterior access hatch would be very convenient for stowing cords, jacks etc, rather than rooting around under the cushions.
- old school awnings actually work -- i do need to get a spreader bar for across the front, but the original rope awning was surprisingly functional!
- you can stow a lot of things in a 13' Boler! we have an in-bed trunk in the Ridgeline, but didn't actually stow much in it this trip.
- dogs love the bed!
- i need to make a small extension at the front of the table to provide that extra little bit of support for the cushions on the back bed.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0607_1.JPG  
Janice M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 12:24 AM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Quote:
dogs love the bed!
I hadn't noticed that...

You picked a great location for a first trip!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 04:24 PM   #3

Name: Phil
Trailer: 17ft 98 Casita FD
Texas
looks great , thanks for sharing your pics
Phil Underwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 05:34 AM   #4

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
Quote:
- i need to make a small extension at the front of the table to provide that extra little bit of support for the cushions on the back bed.
Janice thanks for sharing.
One learns alot on the first trip depending on the weather..my first trip, it rained for 3 days and 3 people in our Boler 13ft was like a cold sauna...the need for a 12V fan I installed as to circulate the air solved that problem...
As far as the extention on the bed before you go through all that, go to Wal*Mart and get a Full Size Memory Foam matress toper, not the cheapy but the $59 one.
It makes all the differance in the world sleeping on the outside edge where the indevidual cushions sag on the edge the topper makes them work all as one.
Looks like your going to enjoy years of Bolering.
Gerry the Canoebuilder
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 09:56 AM   #5

Trailer: 1972 Boler 13 ft
Try cutting a 1" x 6" board the right length to fit from side to side at the back of the table instead of in front. Can be left in place all the time and makes a handy little shelf for something when the bed is made up.
Barbara Gardin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler