Fort Desoto Campground, Tierra Verde, FL - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2013, 08:13 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Fort Desoto Campground, Tierra Verde, FL

I just spent three nights at Fort Desoto Campground in Tierra Verde, FL (just south of St Petersburg and St Pete Beach. The campground is lovely and it is a part of a large park with many amenities. I will say that I did not like the beaches here as much as other Florida beaches. I would stay here again if I was in the area but I would not make a special trip to stay here again.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0241 (640x427).jpg   P1040374 (640x480).jpg  

P1040379 (640x480).jpg   P1040383 (640x480).jpg  

IMG_0207 (640x427).jpg   P1040410 (640x480).jpg  

P1040403 (640x480).jpg   P1040420 (640x480).jpg  

P1040421 (640x480).jpg  
Ms. Gayle 2012-IA,MO,NE,WY,MT,UT,NM,AZ,TX/2013-AR,LA,AL, FL,GA,SC,NC,TN,KY,KS,CO/2014-IL,MO,MN,MI,WI IA/2015-SD,IA,MO,OK,TX/2016-AR,MS,FL,MO,IN,VA,NC,TN/2017-KS,CO,UT,AR,MS,FL/2018-IL,IN,SD,MN,Canada,IA, OK,TX,NM/2019-OK,TX,AR,NE,SD/2020-AR
Ms. Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:24 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Interesting, we had reservations for a few days there a couple weeks ago, actually we were doing 13 Florida state parks the month of February. Cancelled it all out to stay on the coast of Georgia. Have heard good and so-so reports of Fort DeSoto. Now in SC for a few days, then heading home. Little over three months in our Uhaul.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:46 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Mary and Bob,

I am going to be heading up the east coast in a couple of weeks. Do you have any park recommendations for Georgia and states north of there?
Ms. Gayle 2012-IA,MO,NE,WY,MT,UT,NM,AZ,TX/2013-AR,LA,AL, FL,GA,SC,NC,TN,KY,KS,CO/2014-IL,MO,MN,MI,WI IA/2015-SD,IA,MO,OK,TX/2016-AR,MS,FL,MO,IN,VA,NC,TN/2017-KS,CO,UT,AR,MS,FL/2018-IL,IN,SD,MN,Canada,IA, OK,TX,NM/2019-OK,TX,AR,NE,SD/2020-AR
Ms. Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:02 PM   #4

New York
I'll have to PM that info, where we were is not to be publicized.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:11 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Gayle View Post
Mary and Bob,

I am going to be heading up the east coast in a couple of weeks. Do you have any park recommendations for Georgia and states north of there?
I highly recommend Hunting Island State Park near Beaufort, South Carolina. The park is heavily wooded right to the beach, has camping immediately adjacent to the beautiful beach, lots of wildlife, a lighthouse, and Beaufort is a charming city.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:24 PM   #6

Name: Scott
Trailer: Casita
Massachusetts
I was at Fort DeSoto for 10 days in January and loved it. Walked to the tollbooth and back every morning and to East Beach in the Afternoon. I got out to some of the local restaurants and they were good. The campground is very quiet at night, beautiful sunsets and great place for star gazing. Oh, there is a dog park and dog beach too. I'll

be back next year.
Attached Thumbnails
image-2451127001.jpg   image-3265165079.jpg  

image-3590449371.jpg  
Big O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:32 PM   #7

Name: Lora
Trailer: 89 Bigfoot 17G & 73 Compact II
Northern Neck, VA
Registry
In Virginia, about 1 hr north of Richmond and 1 hr east of I95 in Fredericksburg is Westmoreland State Park:
Westmoreland State Park

At this link, you can see a map of all the SP in VA:
Park Locations

And, just off I-95 near Quantico is the NP Prince William Forest Park (no hook-ups):
Prince William Forest Park - Prince William Forest Park
Safe travels.
Lora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:34 PM   #8

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray N View Post
I highly recommend Hunting Island State Park near Beaufort, South Carolina. The park is heavily wooded right to the beach, has camping immediately adjacent to the beautiful beach, lots of wildlife, a lighthouse, and Beaufort is a charming city.
Right now we are at Hunting on site 39 listening to the waves, this site is next to the beach, we can look out the rear window at the water.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:38 PM   #9

Name: Josie&Craig
Trailer: Escape 21
South Carolina
Registry
We're at Ft. de Soto now...one of my favorite campgrounds here in Gulf Coast Florida. We've found we like the North Beach area the best for beach walking, although it can be crowded on the weekend. Plenty places to kayak and the wildlife is right outside your door most mornings on the waterfront sites.

A few offerings from some of our recent journeys:

In SC...Hunting Island is our favorite and another is Edisto Island State Park...these fill up fast so finding a site can be a matter of timing.

In NC...Frisco Woods on the bay side of the Outer Banks. It's not fancy, but the view is wonderful. The state parks there are nice...Hatteras and Okracoke, but they have no ocean views.

In Maryland...If you like wide open with the possibilities of seeing the wild horses, Assateague SP is good. Only one loop has electric, though, and it fills fast. There seem to be plenty of bathrooms and water is close enough by not to be a really big deal.

In Virginia...If you want to drive up Skyline Drive in the Shennandoah National Park any of the National Park campgrounds along the way offer a pleasant stay if you can live without electric, although there's a state park outside the North entrance that is very nice with electric and water...Andy Guest...it's new and very clean.

Safe journey.

"Not all those who wander are lost." (J.R.R. Tolkein from Lord of the Rings..."Strider's Poem")
2yax2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:03 PM   #10

New York
Last time we were at Assateague state park it was more than a possibility of seeing the wild horses. They'll stomp right through a tent or screen house to get food, I've seen them take food away from people sitting on the beach, and fight each other on the beach. They're "wild", but used to being around people and getting what they want. Also the last time we were there a thunder storm blew in and someone camping there got hit by lightning and it rained for a couple days and flooded some of the campground. A camp host there told us he figures eventually there will be something done to keep the horses away from people, like they do on the southern end of the island in Chincoteague Virginia. Still a neat place though, we would go back.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:40 PM   #11

Name: Josie&Craig
Trailer: Escape 21
South Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
A camp host there told us he figures eventually there will be something done to keep the horses away from people, like they do on the southern end of the island in Chincoteague Virginia.
Sad as it makes me to think of them losing their freedom to roam the island, it is probably what would be best for the horses since it is our fault in the first place. It may also make it less likely to view them...not one was visible in our side trip to the Virginia end of the island in the habitats set aside for them similar to the penned horses on the Okracoke end of the Outer Banks.

"Not all those who wander are lost." (J.R.R. Tolkein from Lord of the Rings..."Strider's Poem")
2yax2go is offline   Reply With Quote