Free camping on Farms, Vineyards and more .... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2015, 10:55 PM   #1

Name: Naomi
Trailer: 1972 Boler 13 Foot
British Columbia
Free camping on Farms, Vineyards and more ....

I just found this website and thought it worth passing along. I'm not sure that our little 13 foot Boler would qualify because we don't have a holding tank for the grey water but maybe there is something I could do on that one. This sounds like a neat way to camp for a night or two!!
Unique RV Overnight Stops with Harvest Hosts
Boler Babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 12:00 AM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Free for only $44 per year.
Old 05-02-2015, 06:07 AM   #3

Trailer: 1971 Boler
Registry
Ya there is always a catch to FREE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Free for only $44 per year.
Rick Mooyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 06:57 AM   #4

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
AND in staying at one of the sites you are "Expected" to make purchases from the site. And this kinda leaves me out on both counts: "The average HH RV owner is 50-64 and has a median household income of $93,600." (HH = Harvest Host Member)

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 10:43 AM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I follow a blog and they have joined the program. They have used it once in so far and have been full-timing since June 2014. They were pleased with it. It would not be my thing and we would surely bring down the "average household income" for the group - if they have a total, that means they ask your income? I wouldn't care for that. I think this will appeal to a certain group. While I would enjoy staying at a farm, a winery would not do anything for me.

There were a lot of rules.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 10:53 AM   #6

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
I have read about a few people using it and enjoying their stays and purchases. I could see trying it if we were retired and could meander to different destinations.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 11:32 AM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I think it's an interesting concept to try. While it wouldn't be my choice often, I could see myself stopping and enjoying what the farm or vineyard has to offer... and I don't usually drink wine I've found (in the Pacific Northwest) vineyards often have the most spectacular scenery.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 12:06 PM   #8

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Beautiful Views

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I think it's an interesting concept to try. While it wouldn't be my choice often, I could see myself stopping and enjoying what the farm or vineyard has to offer... and I don't usually drink wine I've found (in the Pacific Northwest) vineyards often have the most spectacular scenery.
Try Tsillan Cellars in Chelan, WA. It's ranked in the top 100 wineries in the world for it's siting and view, great restaurant as well.

Incredible food as well

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 12:14 PM   #9

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
"The average HH RV owner is 50-64 and has a median household income of $93,600." (HH = Harvest Host Member)
Hmmm, I qualify on the age part.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 10:10 PM   #10

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
I, for one, love this idea. As the founders said " we traveled with our motorhome throughout Mexico, Central America and South America, New Zealand, Australia, Morocco, Western Africa, Western Europe and Scandinavia" we too, have seen this idea offered in many of the lands we have visited. Most recently, we returned from a camping trip to New Zealand where they offer limited "Freedom Camping" which allows you to camp for no fee if you have a certified (with sticker) self-contained camper vehicle. Often these campsites would be on farms.

We live in pricey California where a hotel night in the wine country can be upwards of $300 and there is very limited camping in wine country. I would welcome the opportunity to be the only campers on farmland or a vineyard as other campers can be very annoying at times. It's almost like a bread and breakfast but we provide our own accommodations and meals and the host provides the beautiful setting.

We were recently invited to a wedding in Healdsburg, a tony and beautiful town in wine country. Hotel rooms are expensive and require a two-night stay on the weekend. The campground is over $50 per night and nothing special. How nice it would be to camp in a nearby vineyard!

I would much rather pay a small fee to know which hosts are amenable to having camping guests than knocking randomly on farmers' doors!
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 06:00 AM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Try Tsillan Cellars in Chelan, WA. It's ranked in the top 100 wineries in the world for it's siting and view, great restaurant as well.

Incredible food as well
Thanks for the tip Bob. I just checked out their webpage. Fantastic looking place. I'll keep it in mind if I ever travel that way.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 08:05 AM   #12

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I guess as someone who has been camping since the 1980s and someone who endured l-o-n-g drives in the country in the backseat of my parents car (trees, trees, trees and I don't care what color they are), I've seen a lot of scenery and greenery thus my aversion to wine country though I did start wondering it they have tasty jams. Amish country would be nice but didn't look close enough to see what choices might be there. I like homemade goodies!

Like any new program, I think for most people, it will be a "wait and see" and the cost really isn't that high. My bigger concern would not be for those investing the membership fee but for those that offer up their facilities. Some people today are just so unruly and always trying to stretch the rules. I wouldn't offer up my property based on what I have seen people do.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vin