Georgia to Arkansas Trip Report - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2006, 07:22 PM   #1

Trailer: Casita 17 ft 2004
Hey HERSCHEL BOWERS, Thank you so very much for the Hyw 82 route. It was just too good to believe. I will never take Hwy78 through Memphis again.
Bengal cat travel compainion and camping cat, Shelia, and I left out Sat morning about 9:am to connect with I-20 at Greensboro, Ga. Weather was fine and we breezed through Atlanta uneventfully with Shelia getting excited and amaised at the sun on the gold Capital Dome. We enjoyed the lakes at Pell City, Al for a quick rest and a bite to eat. Not so enjoyable is the "rub-board" road section of I-20 in that area, but I am please to report that it is srinking rapidly with the re-surfacing. Before we knew it we were taking 459 to Tuscaloosa, Al and had sailed trough Tuscaloosa. This was unbelievably fast and the redbud trees and new leaves on the trees were beautiful. We arrived, I should say, passed what was to be our evening camping destination at Lake Lurleen State Park in AL. It was too early in the day so we traveled on. A couple of hours later we turned off to find Lake Lowndes State Park in Mississippi. Not hard to find was this great little park at $15 a night. Link http://www.mdwfp.com/parkView/Parks.asp?ID=1815
Plugged up the electricity, put Shelia's walking jacket and leash on and off we went for a walk. The lake was beautiful and our neighbors invited us to visit their campfire. They were from Georgia and it was good to talk. He offered me a Coleman 1250 generator for $75 which I snapped up. It runs great. What a deal!
After a good night's rest we awoke to the pitter patt of rain on the egg so I unplugged and we headed out . We were excited about crossing the Mississippi River. This was so cool. The two lane bridge was nostalgic to say the least, and the view of the river was good at the 35mpg speed. The park and Arkansas welcome center on the lake on the other side is very nice. Did not get to stop as we were in some heavey weather by then. We arrived in Sheridan, Arkansas , my daughter's house around lunch. Did I mention weather? The cold, the rain, the spitting snow and more cold and rain. This was the week of COLD to this southern lady. We saw sunshine one day of the week but cat and I made it in the egg with our trusty heater. The return trip I got to enjoy looking at the cypress swamps and the lanscape and I saw a yellow crop duster in action!. Shelia and I arrive home safe and really had a great adventure. Yes, I have thawed out now.
Attached Thumbnails
Shelia_2_16_06.jpg  
Susan Tiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 07:51 PM   #2

Trailer: 1993 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe (a true 'Dream House'!)
Welcome home, Susan!
What a great trip report. Sounds like you and Sheila had a fine time prowling around the countryside. It's great that you found such good camping sites... and got a $$cheap$$ generator, too!!! Have you tried it out yet?

So glad you had so much fun and made it home safe and sound. Can't wait to see you at the N.Ga rally in May.
Lorene W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 09:44 PM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
...put Shelia's walking jacket and leash on and off we went for a walk.
Do you have pictures of this? Did you make it, or can a person buy one? My cats stay home when we travel.
Old 03-31-2006, 08:11 AM   #4

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita
Registry
Susan I am very glad you liked 82 we dont go to Birmingham through Memphis any more. good luck and have fun
Old 04-01-2006, 06:02 PM   #5

Trailer: Casita 17 ft 2004
Quote:
Do you have pictures of this? Did you make it, or can a person buy one? My cats stay home when we travel.
I made this one but yes you can buy them. Looking for my stuff now for you. Shelia's is like a thong (ask a lady about thong panties) that is sewn over a ponytaile doodle (lady question again) and this fastens under her middle. I sewed a small O-ring (man question) on the back over her shoulders for the leash to snap to. **NOTE those auto let out leashes are not too cool for cats. Shelia likes this better than the "store-bought" jobs as it is more comfortable.
Susan Tiller is offline   Reply With Quote