Glacier NP in Sept- route? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2014, 11:27 AM   #1

Name: Lorelei
Trailer: uhaul
Florida
Glacier NP in Sept- route?

We are planning a trip to Glacier NP. Which is the more scenic route from the east: Mt Hwy 2 or 87 thru Lewiston and Great Falls? Hoping to avoid a lot of fracking lands. Also, we are interested in history and Lewis and Clark.
Lorelei L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 11:56 AM   #2

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Hwy 2 in my opinion but anyway you get there your going to see great stuff. Are you planning on staying on the east or west side?

Fall in Glacier is beautiful! West side has tree's turning colors later in the fall, but services are minimal the later it is in Sept dwindling to nothing by mid Oct. Though there is still a ton of stuff to see and do.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 02:29 PM   #3

Florida
We were going to spend a couple of days on each side. Can you pull a 13' egg the length of Going to the Sun Road?
Old 02-02-2014, 03:11 PM   #4

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelei L View Post
We were going to spend a couple of days on each side. Can you pull a 13' egg the length of Going to the Sun Road?
If I remember right, Going to the Sun Road has vehicle length restriction 21' or 22'. 13' egg plus any tow vehicle will exceed the limit.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:12 PM   #5

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
You will want to take the highway that goes around to the south. It's a nice drive, although when I was there 3 summers ago there was a rough stretch for about 5 miles. Can't recall if it was hwy 49, or hwy 2 south of east glacier park. Hopefully it's fixed by now.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 07:26 PM   #6

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
Take US2 from the East Gate to the West Gate. Stop at Essex the half way point. Drive in and look at the Izzak Walton Inn. It is a Railroad hotel. They have Cabooses they rent out for the night. I rode the train there 2 years ago and stayed 3 days then rode the train back to Portland. If you are camping stay at San Sue Ed a nice RV Park on the West side of Glacier.
Chuck
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 03:54 AM   #7

Name: David
Trailer: Scamp
Michigan
I second the need to stop in at the Izaak Walton. I also recommend the Many Glacier area on the east side if the park! And should you go there, be sure to stoop in to the Babb Bar Cattle Baron Supper Club and have an amazing steak after a day of hiking! (I would easily recommend staying on the eastern side of the park, day tripping the going to the sun road, and skipping the felt need to access the west entrance. And if skipping the west entrance bought me more time is head on up and explore Watertown ProvIncial Park to the north in CA. It is amazing!
DaMScampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:59 AM   #8

Florida
Coming from the east, how far is far enough before turning around on Going to the Sun Road? Lake McDonald?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Old 02-03-2014, 12:24 PM   #9

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Quote:
Coming from the east, how far is far enough before turning around on Going to the Sun Road? Lake McDonald?
See Going-to-the-Sun Road Restrictions - Glacier National Park (U.S. National Park Service)
Old 02-03-2014, 12:27 PM   #10

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
Quote:
We are planning a trip to Glacier NP. Which is the more scenic route from the east: Mt Hwy 2 or 87 thru Lewiston and Great Falls? Hoping to avoid a lot of fracking lands. Also, we are interested in history and Lewis and Clark.
If you are traveling from Florida to Glacier and interested in Lewis and Clark, you would not want to miss Meriwether Lewis State Park along the Natchez Trace in Tennessee.

http://www.nps.gov/natr/historyculture/meriwether-lewis.htm

This also puts you within 10 miles of the Oliver Travel Trailer factory in Hohenwald, TN. As I notice from your signature that you are "in the market" this would be an excellent time to tour the factory. You can check out their trailers on their web site.

http://www.olivertraveltrailers.com/
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 01:40 PM   #11

Florida
We've done MLSP and the Lewis & Clark route up to Pierre SD. This time we are doing a couple of marathon days to Pierre and doing the rest of the Missouri, then Glacier, drop down to the Yellowstone area, then back via Dallas to see family.

Old 02-03-2014, 02:09 PM   #12

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
Pennsylvania
Our favorite camp in Glacier is Many glacier on the east side. Be aware that a lot of other campers also like that spot.from the last week in June until mid September, this campground fills up! Sometimes by 9:30 in the morning. You need to be patrolling the campground by 8 AM to get a spot. We usually go in mid June an the sites next to the creek are usually available. Next to the creek also has better solar access, possibly moose and a view of a mountain side with goats, sheep and elk . we love this place!
starbrightsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:18 PM   #13

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Beartooth Highway, MT and Chief Joseph scenic, WY are both worth the detour off I90/I80
Old 02-03-2014, 04:53 PM   #14

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Quote:
Scared my other half to death without pulling anything. There is no way I would recommend towing anything on that road. We went through last year and I couldn't believe how many tour buses we saw being driven by what looked like teenage girls (probably college kids doing summer work). Not that I'm being sexist but I'd want my tour bus driver to be a bit more experienced .
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 05:21 PM   #15

Name: Shirley
Trailer: Casita patriot
Colorado
A friend and I rode out on our motorcycles last year. We stayed in Many Glacier. There are lots of trail heads there for hiking. Do yourself a favor and either drive Going to the Sun in just your car or take one of the Red Bus tours. I certainly also recommend Waterton Park in Canada. There is a nice camp ground right in town and it is a beautiful place also with nice hiking. Don't miss seeing the Prince of Wales hotel.
ShirleyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 05:49 PM   #16

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I thought trailers were prohibited and only the tour buses and auto's were allowed??
Old 02-03-2014, 06:08 PM   #17

Name: David
Michigan
Stay at many glacier and take a red bus jammer tour on going to the sun all the way to the lodge on lake McDonald and back. Your guide will be excellent and letting another drive you can simply take it all in!
DaMScampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:44 AM   #18
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Isn't snow an issue that time of year? Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 12:25 PM   #19

Florida
2nd week of Sept? There might be snow fall, but I don't think it will be an issue.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:25 PM   #20

Name: Jim
Iowa
We pulled our 16 last august. Took hwy 2 through north Dakota on the way out and south through billings and south Dakota on the way home. All roads were in good shape. As all have said you will not be able to pull a trailer on going to the sun road and you would not want too. We stayed at the reservable campground on the west and east side and was glad we did due to the number of people in August.
Jim and Erin is offline   Reply With Quote