Going to Whitefish - Kalispell - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camping, Campout Reports
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-03-2012, 09:29 PM   #1
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Going to Whitefish - Kalispell

We are heading to the Whitefish / Kalispell area next week.
Any recommondations on campgrounds?
Is anyone else planning on being in the area?
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:45 PM   #2

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Why Kalispell and Whitefish? Personally I would drive a little farther (West Glacier) so much more to offer.

Even Big Fork has more to offer over Kalispell

What type of site are you looking for? Do you like dry camping? Private campgrounds? Full hook ups?
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:51 PM   #3

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
When we have gone to Kalispell we have stayed at Wayfarers state park in Bigfork, it's on the lake. It has showers but gets very busy so don't know what the chance of getting a spot would be.
I think it is the campground in Whitefish that has train tracks running right through it, was too noisy for us.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:26 PM   #4

Name: Drew
Trailer: 1975 ventura 400 towed by a jeep grand cherokee sometimes, and an ugly 89 dodge truck other times.
Alberta
Registry
I stayed at the whitefish RV park just last week. It's right in the town of whitefish, and it was excellent. Level site, lots of trees, reasonable price, everyone was friendly, clean bathrooms with lots of hot water, right next to the army and navy store in case you forget anything. 5 minute walk from a 24 hour grocery store.

The only problem was that there were no firepits, and our site was in the farthest corner of the park, so the wifi was kinda slow. I assume it's better closer to the buildings. Check their website below and give em a call if you want. I'm sure I'll be staying there again.

whitefishrvpark

St Mary's, east glacier, and west glacier are also really nice, though the're more remote and have less services, so be prepared.

The one place that really struck me as beautiful was the campground in Apgar, near West Glacier, right on MacDonald lake. Although I haven't stayed there, we passed through last weekend, and it looked amazing. Apparently it's usually full, so you have to book well in advance.

If you're all about shopping in Kalispell, and less about the sights in G.N.P., the Whitefish RV park is an excellent base. Make sure you stop at the Barbeque shack for a pulled pork sandwich, and the city beach is worth a stop. The water isn't as cold as you'd expect it to be.

There are also really nice places along Flathead lake, which is pretty close to Kalispell.
streetvan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 05:47 AM   #5
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
Thank you all for the excellent suggestions so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin G View Post
Why Kalispell and Whitefish? Personally I would drive a little farther (West Glacier) so much more to offer.

Even Big Fork has more to offer over Kalispell

What type of site are you looking for? Do you like dry camping? Private campgrounds? Full hook ups?
Sorry for not being very clear, We are going to the Whitefish Kalispell area, we will be staying away from the cities other than a quick "drive through". We prefer a private campsite, dry camping is fine but I know my wife prefers flush toilets and showers. We live in Calgary Alberta so driving down from the north, have been to Waterton Lakes Park (Glacier Park but north on the Canadian side) many times and you are right it is beautiful. Our plan is to explore the whole area, if we find one nice site we will use that as a base camp and take day trips to hike and explore. The great thing about these trailers they are so easy to pack up and move.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:42 AM   #6
Commercial Member

Name: Rob
Trailer: Casita
Kansas
Registry
I have found Glacier Meadow RV Park to be an excellent place to stay. Located in the southern end of the park along Highway 2. East Glacier and the West Glacier are easy to access from the RV park. Staying there eases the anxiety of finding a campground within the park during the very busy times.

http://www.glaciermeadowrvpark.com/
Old 08-04-2012, 12:49 PM   #7

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Last year I stayed at the private Glacier Campground, a couple miles west of the turnoff to the Glacier NP west entrance. See post #20 of my trip report thread for a photo of my campsite. As you can see, it felt pretty private with decent space between myself and the nearest neighbors. Water and electric at the site, and a dump station is available as is wifi.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...a-47704-2.html

As for Apgar (no hookups, I believe, but a very nice CG), you probably stand a decent chance of getting a site if you show up early enough. Mid-afternoon or earlier might suffice.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 05:19 PM   #8

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Last year I stayed at the private Glacier Campground,

I would also recommend Glaicer Campground, it's right at the west entrance and tucked up on the hill. With that campground/s'more type of camping experience........ (Kathleen the owner is a Doll)

Another recommendation is back down at Hungry Horse, Mountain Medow Campground (Super nice owners, super clean and beautiful) Tell Sue, Robin said Hi! I use to own a Rv Park in the area and we were buds. http://www.mmrvpark.com/

I also agree with the recommendation of Wayfare in Bigfork! Love Big Fork! It's got that artsy fartsy vibe going..... And Flathead lake is truly amazing!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:50 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
Thank you all for your suggestions, we tried to get into Apgar but at 1:00 pm on Tuesday it was already full so we back tracked a mile and stayed at Glacier RV, I would also recommend this campground, we had a wonderful private site and really enjoyed our stay there.

We spent 6 days touring and exploring almost every road in the region and dropped into seval other campgroundsto see what they offered, in the end we were very happy we stayed at Glacier RV.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:11 PM   #10

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
That's great news. Glad you had a nice time.

I just looked at the August fill-time records for Apgar. Some days it was full a bit by about noon, other days not till 5 or 6 pm. Not sure if the weather is playing a role, or what. But as you said, that Glacier RV CG is one nice private CG, and the electricity comes in handy.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote