Grand Canyon in spring - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2023, 11:09 AM   #1

Name: Linda
Trailer: Trillium
BC
Grand Canyon in spring

Hello everyone,

We're planning a trip to the Grand Canyon sometime this spring, either April or May. We've never been. We'll be travelling south from Vancouver BC and looking for the best route with nice campgrounds along the way. We don't want to travel more than 4 hours a day if possible.

If anyone has any campground/route suggestions that would be awesome. We normally boondock so don't need a hookup if that helps.

Thanks in advance,
Linda.
Linda Dumont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 11:43 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Double-check, some of the campgrounds don't open until mid-May.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 11:50 AM   #3

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
There ae many ways to get to the Grand Canyon from Vancouver. If you have time....head down Hwy 101 through the Olympic Pen...the Oregon Coast and the Northern Calf Redwoods.....a beautiful drive...lots to see. If you like history and museums.....stop by the Northwest Carriage Museum in Raymond, Wa.....some folks consider it a "must see" when visiting the Pac. Northwest. By the way.....at the Grand Canyon......if time permits.....visit the North rim as well as the tourist South rim......both are beautiful in their own way. Bryce....Zion....Crater Lake.....Yosmite....all can be part of the trip depending on time and desire.....have fun....safe travels.
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 06:40 PM   #4

BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Double-check, some of the campgrounds don't open until mid-May.
I wondered about that. I'll be sure and check. We have a few campgrounds here that are open all year, but most are closed.
Old 01-21-2023, 06:42 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda Dumont View Post
I wondered about that. I'll be sure and check. We have a few campgrounds here that are open all year, but most are closed.
Yeah, check ALL of the places you want to go. It's not unusual for the Rim Road to be closed at Crater Lake until Memorial Day.

Have a great trip!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 06:45 PM   #6

BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrybob View Post
There ae many ways to get to the Grand Canyon from Vancouver. If you have time....head down Hwy 101 through the Olympic Pen...the Oregon Coast and the Northern Calf Redwoods.....a beautiful drive...lots to see. If you like history and museums.....stop by the Northwest Carriage Museum in Raymond, Wa.....some folks consider it a "must see" when visiting the Pac. Northwest. By the way.....at the Grand Canyon......if time permits.....visit the North rim as well as the tourist South rim......both are beautiful in their own way. Bryce....Zion....Crater Lake.....Yosmite....all can be part of the trip depending on time and desire.....have fun....safe travels.
Thanks! We haven't been to the Northwest Carriage Museum yet. We'll have to see if it's on route, when we have one figured out that is.

We did the 101 many years ago for our honeymoon. Took a leisurely 3 weeks down to San Diego and back. It really is beautiful. But that was in July in good weather. We've tried camping on the Oregon coast before and it's always hit or miss on the weather. Not that it isn't still beautiful when it's raining, and being from Vancouver we're no stranger to rain. Our preference would be to get east of the mountains sooner rather than later where it's drier.
Old 01-22-2023, 10:32 AM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
Be prepared for cool weather. Desert View campground at the Grand Canyon on May 18th:
Attached Thumbnails
ASC_8512.jpg  
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 10:38 AM   #8

BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
Be prepared for cool weather. Desert View campground at the Grand Canyon on May 18th:
Snow?! I knew it was cold at night but didn't realize there could still be snow in May. I guess at that elevation all bets are off. Similar to Banff or Jasper when it could snow in August.

Maybe we will rethink the April-May timeline and shift it to May-June. We are just trying to stay ahead of the crowds, if that is even possible.

It looks like a beautiful campground though. What are those trees?
Old 01-22-2023, 11:37 AM   #9

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Whenever possible, camping inside the National Parks is both convenient and low cost. It will require reservations, and some parks like Zion are HOT by May so getting electric hookup is important.

Utah is also home to many GREAT state parks, too many to list here.

One direction I’d loop west through WA state or OR, through Idaho and Utah.

North rim of Grand Canyon is always my choice, when it’s open.

Ahead of the crowds? Not happening. Zion for example is packed by the middle of March. One overlooked advantage of a campsite inside the park is that it also gives you a parking spot. It’s not unusual for Zion parking to be full by mid morning.

Weather wise, it’s all about elevation, not state area is located in. Google has ample weather history that is more accurate than any forum post IMO.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 11:46 AM   #10

BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Whenever possible, camping inside the National Parks is both convenient and low cost. It will require reservations, and some parks like Zion are HOT by May so getting electric hookup is important.

Utah is also home to many GREAT state parks, too many to list here.

One direction I’d loop west through WA state or OR, through Idaho and Utah.

North rim of Grand Canyon is always my choice, when it’s open.

Ahead of the crowds? Not happening. Zion for example is packed by the middle of March. One overlooked advantage of a campsite inside the park is that it also gives you a parking spot. It’s not unusual for Zion parking to be full by mid morning.

Weather wise, it’s all about elevation, not state area is located in. Google has ample weather history that is more accurate than any forum post IMO.
We don't have air conditioning so a hookup won't help with the heat but having a parking spot inside of the park is a great tip I hadn't thought of.
Old 01-22-2023, 11:46 AM   #11

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
If you are passing through Idaho, Craters of the Moon is unique and worth a stop. In Utah, Capitol Reef, Bryce Canyon and Zion should not be missed. All are more accessible than Grand Canyon. Kodachrome Basin is a nice Utah state park. I would stick with the earlier schedule, skip the school kids and hotter weather.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 11:58 AM   #12

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
Quote:
Thanks! We haven't been to the Northwest Carriage Museum yet. We'll have to see if it's on route, when we have one figured out that is.

We did the 101 many years ago for our honeymoon. Took a leisurely 3 weeks down to San Diego and back. It really is beautiful. But that was in July in good weather. We've tried camping on the Oregon coast before and it's always hit or miss on the weather. Not that it isn't still beautiful when it's raining, and being from Vancouver we're no stranger to rain. Our preference would be to get east of the mountains sooner rather than later where it's drier.
I have traveled almost every road you could possibly take to get to the Grand Canyon......lots to see no matter how you go. I love the coast in all weather but.....it's not for everyone. As for the museum.....you won't be disaapointed........I have restored 40+ vehicles over the years and acquired over 1000 artifacts.......our collection is considered world class and people from all over the world visit us each year.....hope you do as well. Safe travels.
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 02:50 PM   #13

Trailer: 1999 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Florida
BC to Grand Canyon

A pleasant sojourn along the way is Great Basin NP.

Caverns, a mountain stream that is cool on a warm day and just a wonderful place to relax.
Herb Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 10:42 PM   #14

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Hello everyone,

We're planning a trip to the Grand Canyon sometime this spring, either April or May. We've never been. We'll be travelling south from Vancouver BC and looking for the best route with nice campgrounds along the way. We don't want to travel more than 4 hours a day if possible.

If anyone has any campground/route suggestions that would be awesome. We normally boondock so don't need a hookup if that helps.

Thanks in advance,
Linda.
You could run into snow if you go to the North Rim. It can snow there up through May. It will be cold at night so just be prepared. The campgrounds at Grand Canyon do not have hookups.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 06:44 AM   #15

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
North Rim typically opens around May 15. As others have said, spring in Northern Arizona can be wildly unpredictable, but the odds of decent, mostly dry weather are pretty good by mid-April. If you happen to catch a late storm, they typically blow through quickly and the snow melts off fast. Nights will still be chilly, so have a source of heat. Personally I think mid-April to mid-May is a great window. May-June the switch can turn quickly to hot and dry, with possible fire restrictions and closures, as well as summer crowds starting late May.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 06:48 PM   #16

Name: Bob
Trailer: in the market
CA
GC in Spring

Mather Campground at the South Rim is nice, but it fills up, so book a reservation. If you want to do any hiking below the rim, earlier Spring is better. If you just want to walk the rim, see the views, and experience the village, April , May, June, etc. all good. The campground has many shady spots, and is at 7000 ft. The South Rim is crowded at times, but still nice. North Rim opens later and is much less crowded, but you'd still want a reservation. If you're on the North side there are many places to go including, Bryce, Zion, Escalante, and so on. Hot in the summer, so pick your time wisely. As far as your route, maybe down I-5 and then cut over through Nevada and Great Basin, then across Lake Mead to I-40 and on to Williams. Or if going to the North Rim, pick up I-15 to Hurricane UT and towards Kanab. Happy Trails!
bobwadeguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 10:17 AM   #17

BC
This is all so helpful! Thank you everyone.
Old 02-16-2023, 11:09 PM   #18

Name: John
Trailer: Scamp 16 Deluxe
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Yeah, check ALL of the places you want to go. It's not unusual for the Rim Road to be closed at Crater Lake until Memorial Day.

Have a great trip!
Good advice. The North Rim has the best user experience, though, with smaller crowds, shady trees and cooler summer weather. Dispersed camping opportunities are scattered all over the Kaibab National Forest, just outside the park. I hope to go there in late summer!
John McMillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 11:10 PM   #19

Name: John
Trailer: Scamp 16 Deluxe
Colorado
Quote:
We don't have air conditioning so a hookup won't help with the heat but having a parking spot inside of the park is a great tip I hadn't thought of.
The North Rim is 1500 feet higher, so it's usually cooler and breezy.
John McMillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 09:59 AM   #20

BC
We've got a spot at Mather booked in the first 2 weeks of May. It was filling up fast so I booked it. Now I just have to figure out the there and back.