Grand Tetons September 2017 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camping, Campout Reports
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-13-2017, 06:24 PM   #1

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Grand Tetons September 2017

We just returned from a 5-day trip to the Grand Tetons National Park in Wyoming. Our first trip there had been in 2011 on a return trip from Backus, MN when we picked up our new 13' Scamp. At that time we had spent much time in Yellowstone and one or two days in the Tetons. Well, that whet our appetite to return! We were richly rewarded with fabulous views (when the smoke cleared from fires in neighboring states), canoeing and hiking! While we had planned to "camp-jump" after staying one night at Colter campground, we found we liked the camp and area so much we stayed. Jackson Lake is a spectacular place to explore. We saw grizzly bears, elk and even a deer that challenged us with loud snorts! Everything about the Tetons amazed us. We will definitely return, sooner, rather than later so we can explore other areas of the park. Note: Sorry, no photos this time, as our camera broke on the first day. I did get a few sketches in, though. Check out online sunset photos, taken by others, on September 9, 2017. Awesome!

Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 07:56 PM   #2

Name: Bat Dude
Trailer: Escape
Michigan
Tetons

Great report,

We are on our way NOW... well still in Custer S.D. and after a quick obligatory visit to Mt. Rushmore yesterday afternoon we spent today in Custer State Park. Managed a 5-mile walk to log 10K plus Fitbit steps then drove the wildlife loop and Needles Hwy. We are here one more night and planned to try The Wind Cave area near Hot Springs but now a 10K acre fire in the area so all trails are closed.

We will see what we can here do tomorrow. Jewel Cave perhaps?
But definitely more Custer State park hikes and drives.

Then to Devils Tower for 2 nights then onto Yellowstone (5 nights) that will include a few day trips to the Tetons.

The bummer of too much to see and do is I find I have no time for setting up for 2-3 hours and cranking out an 8x10 or 9x 12 plein air painting. Hopefully at Yellowstone.

Tnx again for the report.
Bat Dude
Old 09-15-2017, 09:41 AM   #3

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Hi Bat Dude,
Thanks for your report. I loved Custer State Park! (all those bison coming up to the car, nose to nose!) I, too, wanted to sit for a few hours to do plein aire but, alas, there was too much else to do/see! I'll see if I can do a painting at home, not nearly the same experience, though!
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote