Help me plan my trip ~ UPDATE - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2005, 09:22 AM   #81

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Gina,
We echo what Donna said.
We are finally going to get started backfilling underneath the house, this morning. Trying to use the dirt before we lose it in the rain which may finally be coming.
Do your long-distance trips usually turn into this much of an adventure? From your description about weather conditions, it's probably a good thing you haven't needed the dish. I can imagine you chasing that thing all over some park in a driving rain with the dogs in the background, vocally "cheering" you on.
We also thank you for keeping your running account alive.
You know you are in our prayers
Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 09:57 AM   #82

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
Gina....
yes thanks for your updates.... With the weather being so horrible we are following you all the way... wishing you a safe travel home. Sorry I couldnt come to portland but it wasnt a good time for me.... maybe someother time...
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 11:30 AM   #83

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I have absolutely refused to have any contact with folks at work. I got a dollar in my pocket that says my boss fully expects me to call in on tuesday. I'll fool him.

The news for No. Cal is not encouraging. So far my guesses have been right. If I had stayed in the nice forest service campground I would be floating. It really is a great stopover point. I will remember it for my summer journeys.

One of the places I stopped yesterday to walk the dogs is on the news right now. Discovery park in Xcrimento. There was a lot of cops and a helo there wheb I was. Figured there was a jumper. It was a report of someone in the water according to the news. My timing is impecable.

From where I am now, I could make it home today. But I want to go up to Tehachapi. Maybe suprised Lizbeth in Kernville LOL.

No, I want to live.

Visalia today. The dogs get restless on longer drives.

And Kurt, I am like typhoid Mary. There have been several disasters and accidents within hours or a couple days after I have been thru an area. Kings Cross tube station burned 2 days after I had been there, that 1000 year old bridge in Lucerne Switzerland burned within a week. But the worst was.... I was on the Pan Am flight that left Heathrow just before the Lockerby one.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 11:34 AM   #84

Registry
Oh...how could I forget. The 2003 fires in So. Cal and the january floods and landslides last year.

Don't invite me to your house.
Old 12-31-2005, 12:50 PM   #85

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Hi Gina - we add our gratitude for your safe (though trying) travels, and our appreciation of your journaling so we can all follow along. As others have said, you are in our prayers and we look forward a post stating you are safe at home on your mountain.
Safe journeys - L 'n D
Old 12-31-2005, 05:00 PM   #86

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
And Gina,
I think everyone will echo these sentiments......
H A P P Y N E W Y E A R
C'mon home when you think it's safe to do so,---or maybe a little later?!
Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 05:00 PM   #87

Trailer: 1991 16 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Quote:
But the worst was.... I was on the Pan Am flight that left Heathrow just before the Lockerby one.

Yikes.

Take it easy, and get back when it's safe and prudent to do so. I've come to learn that work will always be there when you get back.
I've enjoyed reading the travelog - maybe I'll get to make some trips this summer with my not-an-egg.
Lee Hillsgrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 06:10 PM   #88

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
Yikes! Indeed.

I guess you're The Wandering (wondering?) Blogger.

I’m inclined to suggest you pass on any future visits to Michigan. We’re a peninsula after all. After your visit, we might break away and become an island! Still, more beach front property I suppose.

I chased leaks on my boat for some time. Finally, I just bit the bullet and pulled all the windows completely out, really cleaned all the mating surfaces and re-bed them. It took a couple days because you’re supposed to let the silicone cure mostly before you finish tightening things down the last little bit. You don’t want to squeeze everything out tightening all the way down when the silicone is still uncured. Leak free so far. Something like that might be in your future too. Sounds like a lazy summer weekend project.

I'm enjoying your trip by proxy. Keep safe but have fun.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 09:15 PM   #89

Registry
Nothing exciting happened today, other than being offered meth at the KOA I had intended to stay at. I had just gotten out of the car to register.. I got back in and toodled to Tulare.

I am in an rv park more intended for long stays, but it is clean and has all the ammenities and is fine. (No, My dish is still in it's case )

The 5er that dropped is here too They had it checked in Stockton and made it this far. No damage to trailer, just the tug and the guys pride. They are on thier way to Palm Springs, so maybe they will follow me all the way home

The biggest problem I had today was trying to figure out what to eat for left overs and fresh. My fridge is full and I have to eat it all or throw it away. The only restaraunt food I have eaten on this trip was at Kennedy school. So.. I haven't spent much money at all.

Tonite I will add it all up, since Tulare isn't exactly a hot spot for anything, much less new years eve.

The temps are way up for this time of year, so Tehachapi tomorrow at an rv park there. Then home.

HAPPY NEW YEARS ALL!
Old 12-31-2005, 09:52 PM   #90

Registry
This just off of Tripcheck

Quote:
Informational only
Information

Comments: The Valley of the Rogue Rest area is closed, due to high water.
See what I mean, Vern? The site I was in was right on, but above the river. I can't imagine it is flooded, but
Old 12-31-2005, 10:15 PM   #91

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I heard on the news the Rogue River is running about 5 feet above flood stage east of Grants Pass. The Valley of the Rogue park is what, about 12 miles east of Grants Pass?

Our weather report shows the next 10 days of rain
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 10:59 PM   #92

Trailer: 75 Boler 13 ft
Out of curiosity, I mapped out Gina D's trip.
I must say, i'm very impressed with the amount of ground covered on this trip.
For anyone interested, here it is.
Attached Thumbnails
Gina_D__s_trip.gif  
Norm Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 11:08 PM   #93

Registry
Wow Norm! Thanks!

Now I can say.. wherever I go, there I was!
Old 01-01-2006, 09:18 AM   #94

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
oh wow.. you really did cover some ground.. your so BRAVE and this time of yr... !! Hope your home safe now.... This is one adventure I am sure you will never forget and have many memories of xmas of 05..
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 10:13 AM   #95

Trailer: Former Casita 17 ft owner
Gina,

I hope this isn't too late.

I think you should avoid northern California altogether on your trip. Go up through Nevada and Idaho then west to Oregon and Washington.
Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 05:46 PM   #96

Registry
Morgan, I did that on my way back once, but it was to avoid Los Angelas (See, I have lived here 11 years and I still can't spell it)

I am at the Indian Hill RV Ranch in Tehachapi. My intent was to go to Brite Lake, unhitch, go see this famous Tehachapi Loop for trains and do laundry etc, but the county park at the lake was closed, I knew this was across the way in case it was.

I am in the cheap seats, "A" section, which is a typical RV park, but it is pretty away from everything. There is a small housing developement going up across the way that is new since the last time I was here. Progress at it's finest.

Oddly enough, there is no bathrooms here. I am in a full hook up spot, and as I rarely ever use a public bathroom, it is not a concern. It just seems a bit wierd.

It was a very short day. I left Tulare at 11 and was here by 1, including a stop at the grocery store. I tired of my left overs and the dogs will eat well tonite

It is windy, rainy and cold enough to snow, it seems. I have BOTH my cube and propane heater going, but I also have 2 open windows to help with condensation.

I had hoped to get here early enough to do some hiking, but the weather has put a cabosh on that. Mr Squirrel and Mr. Monkey are coming in handy today.

Tomorrow, I will be home. I stopped here because I like it up here, and so that I will have a short drive home tomorrow instead of pushing it, getting home late and then facing work in the AM after unloading all this wet stuff.

Someone had mentioned doing a rally here. I am niether impressed (It's just another pull thru) or disgusted (AS well, it's just another paved pull thru) at the section I am in, but the upper sections "Behind the Gate" may be suitable.

Brite Lake is a big overgrown pond, but the fishing is supposed to be good if you are so inclined. On one of my trips using the Element as a motorhome, I got stuck there in a swamp during a hailstorm.. in August LOL!

I NEED my dish this stop BUT, it is far to windy to set it up. I have clamps and things to keep it in place, and if the rain lets up at all, I may go do that, but for now I can live with fuzzy Bakersfield stations that come in off the rabbit ears.

I am going to make a big Chicken dinner (Did you know a fry pan with a lid makes an effective small oven?) and dry out my feet again..
Old 01-01-2006, 07:27 PM   #97

Registry
hmmmmnnn.

Whats this white stuff falling from the sky? I am going to be very annoyed (And embarrassed) if I outran the weather in the Pacific NW only to get stuck in the snow in SO CAL!!!!!

Lizbeth is north of here at Lake Issabella. I wonder what is happening with her?
Old 01-01-2006, 10:06 PM   #98

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
HI! Gina,
I see that you are getting their and that you are OK, it's still raining here in the Rogue valley. I hope that you don't get to much snow and that you have a safe trip home tomorrow.
How are the pups doing? Happy New year to you. Jay
Jay Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 05:45 PM   #99

Registry
Well, I guess I will NOT fool my boss.

I was whipped and josted all nite long, and swore at one point that the egg was airborn, even if by only an inch.

This morning was no different, and included a downpour.

I unhitched and restablized. Then took the car out onto the hiway to see what the situation was. There was posted restrictions for campers and high profile vehicles. The wind generators were locked down (Something they do when the wind is TOO high) and there were big rigs, 5ers and toy haulers lining the side streets of Tehachapi. The other rv park here was full. I was also getting blown around with no trailer. I could just imagine what towing would be like.

I returned here, paid for another day of space and internet and within the past hour, the sun has come out and the wind has gone away.

I am "Tempted" to tug out now, but I do not want to drive across Mojave in the dark. Break down out there.. and you are stuck.

I want to go home.. I am so close! Only about 3 hours.
Old 01-02-2006, 06:34 PM   #100

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
HI! Gina,
I am glad that you and the pups are all right,and you are doing the right thing by staying one more night.
I just checked the weather underground site and it looks like tomorrow will be a better day to go home. Jay
Jay Herb is offline   Reply With Quote