Hidalga the Host Wants Eggers in the Everglades! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2014, 02:50 PM   #1

Name: XXX
Trailer: whatever
NA
Hidalga the Host Wants Eggers in the Everglades!

I'm a volunteer Campground Host/Maintenance for Long Pine Key in Everglades National Park this winter season, until the Green Eggs and Ham Rally next March. I saw the first egg campers in a Casita the other day, and got very excited! Where are the rest of all the eggers?

Please stop in to share the camp fire, or just say hello. More information on the campground can be found at:
Long Pine Key Campground - Everglades National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact me. There is no Internet in the park so it may take a few days for a response.
Attached Thumbnails
hosting.jpg  
Hidalga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 03:36 PM   #2

Name: Letitia
Trailer: 2011 Eggcamper
Florida
Registry
We spent the day there on Saturday, but didn't spend the night. We love Long Pine Key.....you will see us there soon, for sure!!
2011 Eggcamper #106
Letitia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 04:30 PM   #3

NA
Nice!
My shifts are the long weekends (Fri-Mon), so that's when I'm most likely to be there.

Look forward to meeting you in the near future.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:21 PM   #4

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
I've been thinking about a trip to Florida, and Long Pine would be a good spot to spend 2 nights so I can drive to Key West and back on the in-between day. The website says the CG doesn't often fill up, is that accurate? I read some mention of birds (vultures? I forget) at Long Pine that like to munch on windshield wipers and other rubber stuff... true or false? And how are the bugs this time of year?
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 08:34 PM   #5

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
Florida bound

We may get an opportunity to drop by with our Lil Snoozy. My wife and I have secured a camp site at SunSport Gardens in Loxahatchee, approximately 25 miles West of West Palm. Our plan is to be in Florida from Jan 1 through the end of April. Approximately 25 miles West of West Palm.
If we get restless, we will pay you a visit.
Bill in Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 08:52 PM   #6

Name: Letitia
Trailer: 2011 Eggcamper
Florida
Registry
Mike,

There are indeed vultures but to date (over many years and up to this past Saturday), the vultures were not in Long Pine Key Campground. On Saturday, we drove down to Flamingo, and we noticed vultures in that Campground, specifically on a picnic table where food and drinks were left out. The vultures were typically at the Royal Palm and Gumbo Limbo trails parking area, although strangely this Saturday, we did not see a single one there.

Everglades National Park is beautiful....we camp there as much as we can during the winter when the temperatures drop and the mosquitoes are not a problem.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
2011 Eggcamper #106
Letitia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 10:15 PM   #7

Name: Louise
Trailer: Scamp
Florida
Registry
Camped at a friends place down in Key Largo a week and a half ago but took a drive up to the Everglades to check out the campgrounds and your egg was the first thing I noticed coming into Long Pine Key Campground. From what I understand there are no hookups in Long Pine Key campground but full hookups at Flamingo. Long Pine Key looked very laid back and cozy…where Flamingo Campground seemed more open space. Both bath houses were clean and up to date. I'm planning on spending a week or two at Long Pine Key in a month or so.
fiddlesticksfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 08:17 AM   #8

Name: jim
Trailer: Escape 21 Nov.2016
Florida
Registry
We live in SW Florida and have never checked out those 2 parks We might have to take a ride. Are there hookups elec. water ? We have the elec. snoozy Bill from Penn. send me a message if you come down .to compare Snoozy's
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 08:32 PM   #9

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19 (was 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up)
Registry
We're passing through the Everglades after Scamp Camp on the way to Key West, so hope to see you in late February.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 05:49 PM   #10

NA
Answers to your questions

I look forward to seeing all of you!

In regards to the vultures, they are in the park and can be quite destructive. However, as Letitia mentioned, they tend to congregate where the environment suits them, like the Royal Palm parking lot (day use area only). Also note, they are most destructive in the morning at Royal Palm, but seem to back off in the afternoon. They are not so bold when the parking lot is busy. Unfortunately, I just saw 2 cars getting victimized this morning in Royal Palm, however, they have not been an issue in Long Pine Key (LPK) area. The only thing I do in camp is cover my car’s side mirrors with plastic bags to protect the doors from the cardinals, otherwise the little poopers leave their mark as they are fascinated by their reflection.

LPK offers a dump station/potable tank water refill directly across from my site. There are no showers or hook ups here, only restrooms and a utility sink at each restroom building. Generators are allowed, but must be off between 8pm-8am. If you are staying for a few days or longer and plan to drive to Flamingo (34 miles away), you can use their showers and bathroom facilities with your LPK campsite pass.

LKP has tall pines and generally offers more shade than Flamingo. We’re not on the waterfront, but have a beautiful lake and plenty of trails. The mosquitoes are minimal this time of year—certainly a comfortable time to enjoy the area.
The campground is first-come, first-serve, and we are getting busier, but still not full. I’m told MLK weekend in January is the busiest weekend of the year, so you might want to pass on that one.

Flamingo does not offer full hookups, only electric 30/50Amp. Although there are showers in each bathroom facility, only two are heated (look for the solar panels). Flamingo is usually busier, because sites can be reserved through Reserve America.
FLAMINGO, FL - Campground & Camping Details - ReserveAmerica - [NRSO]

The following pics are the vulture signs at Royal Palm Visitor Center, and a setting sun at LPK:
Attached Thumbnails
Vulture1.jpg   Vulture2.jpg  

LPK-sunset.jpg  
Old 12-26-2014, 06:12 PM   #11

Name: Louise
Trailer: Scamp
Florida
Registry
Thanks for the info Hidalga…! Hope to see you soon.
fiddlesticksfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 08:20 PM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Absolutely Hidalga, good info!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 08:12 AM   #13

NA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar1 View Post
We're passing through the Everglades after Scamp Camp on the way to Key West, so hope to see you in late February.
See you at Scamp Camp! I'll be there Tuesday through Friday A.M.
Old 12-30-2014, 07:40 AM   #14

Name: Jane and Greg
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul CT
South Carolina
I'm telling all you fiberglass campers, this lady is the ultimate camp hostess! Great time with her at the Cherokee Rally. We are heading down to Florida sometime and hope to meet up with our friend! Visit her!!!

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Jane SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 02:40 PM   #15

NA
You rock, Jane!
I'll need to stock up on eggs and freezer bags for boiled omelettes for y'all. Your recipe/process will be a department staple in the online March issue of HC. Can't wait to see the cute U-Haul pull in!
Old 03-01-2015, 08:28 AM   #16

Name: Jane and Greg
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul CT
South Carolina
Hi friend...we were within 60 miles of Scamp Camp, but rainy and cold and no reservation, so headed home. How you doing? Was Scamp Camp as fun as Cherokee, or did you miss us UHaulers??? Think about you down there in the Everglades!

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Jane SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 05:00 PM   #17

NA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane SC View Post
Hi friend...we were within 60 miles of Scamp Camp, but rainy and cold and no reservation, so headed home. How you doing? Was Scamp Camp as fun as Cherokee, or did you miss us UHaulers??? Think about you down there in the Everglades!
Miss you! The mosquitoes are getting subtlety heavier, and the 80-degree temperature is only getting hotter, so I'm looking forward to pull out of camp at the end of the week and heading to Green Eggs and Ham Rally in AL. Please tell me you'll be there because I do miss you and want to see you soon.

For those who still want to come to the Everglades, the campgrounds are only open for another 4-6 weeks, FYI. It's a spectacular park, so if you can't make it this season, I recommend putting it on next years winter list.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:42 PM   #18

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
I didn't realize that they close them down for much of the year... hmm. I just assumed they stayed open all year 'round. Does it get too hot or too humid, too many bugs, or what?
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 07:27 AM   #19

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
I also am interested in knowing about the campground closures. Also---even though i KNOW it's Florida and I KNOW Florida has snakes....are they an issue at this park? Guess that TV show Python Hunters has left it's mark on my psyche.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 11:58 AM   #20

NA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
I didn't realize that they close them down for much of the year... hmm. I just assumed they stayed open all year 'round. Does it get too hot or too humid, too many bugs, or what?
Hi Mike,
Yes, yes and yes. The heat, humidity and hurricane season doesn't make a comfortable camp. The bugs will get thick in the summer too. It's not worth maintaining and staffing the campgrounds for the few do do want to show up. The park is open to the public year-round, but the campground season goes from the end of November to the beginning of April.