Hosting Network - How to find a place to stop and camp - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camping, Campout Reports
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-07-2012, 09:10 AM   #21

Trailer: 13 ft Boler 1986
Registry
Fellow Forum members coming to southern Ontario? We can host one small fiberglass trailer with hydro and water. Lovely quiet neighbourhood just across from the lake. Just send me a private message if you are headed our way.
Vivian L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:05 AM   #22

Name: Heather
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
Just came across this thread, how wonderful! The parents have camped in our back parking area by our garage and really enjoyed themselves. So if you're ever in Saskatchewan you are more than welcome to stay. I have power, water and a little patch of weeds that loves gray water. Black tank can be done 8 blocks away for free. Just pm to make arrangements.
Farren and Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 12:38 PM   #23

Trailer: Bonair Oxygen 2002
route 66

Nice thread, How have I missed it all these years?
BoondockersWelcome.com is an interesting site.
We are going Chicago to Santa Monica and up coast then to Bend Oregon and return to Southern Ontario. Are there any suggestions for safe camping along the way?
jean
norman and jean mulloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 02:33 PM   #24

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Hosting Strangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray N View Post
Hosting strangers for overnighting is a little too daring for me, but I think the idea of being willing to give advice and opinions to visitors is a wonderful idea. I know if anyone is passing through Northwest Florida I can give all sorts of advice on nice campgrounds, things to see and do, restaurants, etc. Maybe there would be enough interest for another string just dealing with people willing to give guidance to visitors?

I have to agree with Ray on questioning/qualifying the idea.

First I am not a Grinch, and I have hosted visits by RV travelers from around the world at my home.

And, in the past several years I have invited 4-5 FGRV group members here to take advantage of my ample parking spaces, both to overnight as well as stay a few days while visiting SoCal, and that has always worked out fine.

However, about 5-7 years back, when my RV fleet was primarily Toyota mini-motorhomes, I listed myself on such a list, and found it lot more trouble and grief than we wanted to deal with.

Admittedly, being in SoCal makes free parking a big attraction as there is no WalMart parking, state parks and beaches are often full, and always expensive, and private RV parks can be out of site for fees and the local gendarmes will roust on-street parkers out in a NY minute.

And Yes, many did contact me weeks in advance and arranged for convenient arrival and departure times and were excellent and enjoyable guests but, seemingly more than not, I experienced the following:

1. No-shows; we would arrange our schedule and no one showed up or even bothered to call and cancel.
2. Off hour arrivals. I actually had someone knock at my door at 3am because they got "stuck in traffic" No calls, no nothing
3. Unwanted presents, meaning left behind trash.
4. Uninvited/unknown guests. As soon as the word was out, i.e., "Free Parking in SoCal", my address and phone number got copied to a number of what I would call "Freeloader" sites and all kinds of non-related Van and motorhome owners would call, or just show up, asking for a space for however long I could/would provide. At least twice I woke up in the morning and found unknown RVer's in my driveway, spending the night.

While I took my name off of about 5 lists (4 of which I didn't list on in the first place) at least 4 years ago, I was still getting occasional overnight parking requests until I just happened to disconnect my home phone about 6 months ago.

Soooo, if nothing else, never post your exact address or phone number, and insist that "Reservations" be made well in advance.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 09:37 PM   #25

Name: Corbett
Trailer: 1973 boler
Ontario
from ontario to Vancouver

Hi..My husband and I are heading to Vancouver from Ontario and returning…This will be the first long trip we have ever done, we would love to get some advise from people that may have completed this trip…example…which camp grounds to stay at, and I also like the idea of staying overnight at a hosts home…
Corbett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 06:37 PM   #26

Name: Jim
Trailer: Boler
Ontario
I love the idea!
I'm stiil finishing the landscaping in my yard but should be done by the fall. Mabey for the changing of the leaves. NW Ontario, Canada. About 3-4 hrs north of Duluth. For sure next season. Electrical, water, no dump

Love, love, love it.
Cheers Jim & Deb
Old 06-20-2015, 06:49 PM   #27

Name: ginette & ron
Trailer: 2008 25RB 21 Bigfoot
Ontario
There is a group called boondockers welcome that has visiting stay overs very well organized. It is a great idea.
Old 07-25-2015, 11:57 AM   #28

Trailer: 2003 Casita Spirit Deluxe 16 ft (Eggs-Car-Go with ivy the tug)
We are hosts on the Casita site and at one time here. We are 4miles south of I90 in NE Ohio. Anyone headed this way are welcome . We have acres of quiet, unless you count the music from the local winnery. Ed and Marje Shook

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Edward Shook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 12:12 PM   #29

My husband and I are visiting our daughter in Ottawa, Ontario before towing our 17' Casita to Florida October 24th. Does anyone know of a campground in the Ottawa area that is open past the 15th of october? Unfortunately my daughter is in a high rise without parking!
annemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 02:01 PM   #30
bec

Name: Gabi&Wolf
Trailer: Escape 15 A
Alberta
There is a municipal campground we stayed at mid Oct. in 2013 out to the Kanata area ( name doesn't come to mind right now ) ....tourist info would have all needed info on closing dates . There is a transit station close by with parking - much easier to get around Ottawa by transit . It is a nice campground/rvpark ...witheverything- little store ,laundry, hook-ups....
bec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 02:48 PM   #31

Registry
Ottawa Mjnicipal Campground

The Ottawa Municipal Campground is now called Wesley Clover Parks and is at 411 Corkstown Road. Call them at 613-828-6632. They used to have late camping including winter camping by special arrangement but I'm not sure with the new people what they have.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:37 AM   #32

Name: ginette & ron
Trailer: 2008 25RB 21 Bigfoot
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbeale NY View Post
Would love to have overnighters. We live on 33 acers with a 7 acrer pond. Not too accessable in snow, which here means Jan. to March.
3 miles from rt 81
25 miles from Ithaca and Syracuse
Possible electric and water
No dump
I noticed this is dated from 2010. Don't know if you still feel the same way. We are traveling down to Apache Junction Az , close to Phoenix for the winter. We leave montreal on the 6th of November thereabouts , depending on what the weather has to say. We won't need water or electic. But visiting your acreage after being inthe car that long sounds great. We would only be there one night.Looking forward to your reply ginette
Old 07-14-2019, 01:17 PM   #33

Name: carolyn
Trailer: 2005 casita sd
Michigan
we met at the Bolerama last week!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Shook View Post
Marje and I also believe this is a good idea. We are listed as hosts on the Casita site and have used other hosts when we went to Alaska and Canada. In the years we have been Hosts only one person ever used our invitation. With the cost of and noise of many campgrounds I would think a free stayover would be a good way to meet people in other areas and save a few bucks. We are just south of I90 in North East Ohio. The trips we have taken and were hosted have been the most informative and enjoyable. Last years trip to Northern Ontario we were hosted by a couple who had sold their Casita years ago but still put us up by their Cottage on a beautiful lake. We have 26 quiet acres and just 4miles from the interstate. The saying around here is" the latch key is always out."
ED
So nice to meet you two, I lost your card but found your add on the maple syrup bottle. Thank you for your sweet generosity.
C&G
garycarolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 02:43 PM   #34

Registry
We sold our home 4 years ago and now live in an apartment but before that we hosted someone almost every year for a stay but only about one a year. We met some lovely people and still stay in touch. We also utilized this type of camping whenever we could.