Hurricane Campground. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2006, 06:39 AM   #1

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
For about two years, my wife and I have wanted to try out Hurricane Campground in the Mount Rogers National Recreation Area in southwestern Virginia. It's widely known as one of the finest National Forest campgrounds in the system. Well...it deserves the reputation.

First of all, it's very isolated. There really aren't any nearby towns of note, the closest town of any size being Marion, VA which is about twenty miles away. There are some small communities in the vicinity that provide some basic groceries and some gas stations (the gas was really cheap, too). What you get, in spades, is solitude.

The camping here is among a forest of mainly poplars and hemlocks. The state of Virginia has been treating the hemlocks in the campground with a root-injected insecticide to combat the hemlock wooly adelgid which is killing all of our hemlock forests. So these trees should be here for a long time. Which is good. Because if the hemlocks all die in the campground, it will look pretty barren.

The campground has 26 sites. Be prepared for boondocking in style, since there are no water or electric hookups. There are about four water faucets located throughout the campground where you can get potable water to fill your tank. Of the 26 sites, I'd say that only about ten of them are appropriate for trailers. Two of them all pull through sites. About 18 sites are on, or near Hurricane Creek. The rest are on a hillside above the creek, and surrounded by lots and lots of shade and big trees.

We chose site #19, which in our opinion is the prettiest campsite there. You can open your windows and hear the babbling brook just a few feet from your trailer. The campsites have asphalt paving to park your trailer, and each has a large tent pad with picnic table, fire grate, and lantern post. Located at either end of the campground are two bathhouses. Each has a men's room and a women's room. The bathrooms have a sink with electric hookup for an electric razor or hair drier, a flush toilet, and a shower stall with hot showers. The showers are operated by pushing a pad to start the water, and you have to keep pressure on to get water. One setting: warm. I'd never encountered this type of shower, and it can be rough if the weather is very cool.

There are lots of Forest Service roads to drive for sight-seeing around the campground. There are also lots and lots of hiking trails, with the Appalchian Trial meandering nearby (just a short half-mile hike to access the AT). There are two waterfalls within a few miles of the campground, both via 1.5 mile hikes, and one of them spectacular (Rowlands Creek Falls). Both involve moderately strenuous hikes.

The campground sits at 2,800 feet, so it's pretty cool there in the summer months. Camping is first-come, first-serve, so you can't reserve a space. However, there are lots of other Forest Service campgrounds, State Park campgrounds, and private campgrounds in the area if Hurricane is full.

We had a blast there for four days and three nights. I highly recommend Hurricane Campground!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0017.JPG   IMG_0075.JPG  

BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 06:41 AM   #2

More photos!

First one is the small (hardly worth the hike) Comers Creek Falls. The second is the far more spectacular Rowlands Creek Falls, and worth every step of the way.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0066.JPG   Hurricane015.jpg  

Old 10-10-2006, 06:45 AM   #3

The campsite.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0077.JPG   IMG_0078.JPG  

Old 10-10-2006, 06:48 AM   #4

A couple more.

If you want to see an album of the trip, with photos of nearby campgrounds, go here.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0080.JPG   IMG_0001.JPG  

Old 10-10-2006, 06:54 AM   #5

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Thanks for the info Bob, Hurricane has been added to our 'gotta visit' list. Those not taking advantage of the camping opportunities in our National Forests are really missing some great spots. Horse Cove, just outside Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest, is our favorite in western NC. The ones just down the road on Santeelah Creek are pretty nice also.

Al
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 07:09 AM   #6

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
Thanks for that great report! You got me enthusiastic for a trip to Hurricane. Is the campsite open all year round?
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 07:44 AM   #7

Nope. It closes October 31 and reopens April 15.

One more detail I forgot to mention. While there is no dump station at Hurricane, there is one at Raccoon Branch, about eight miles away. Raccoon Branch is nice, and even has electric and water hookups. However, it sits right beside VA 16, and I didn't care for its proximity to the road. But the dump station was very convenient and easy to use. It's available for anyone using a National Forest campground in the area.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:47 AM   #8

Quote:
Thanks for the info Bob, Hurricane has been added to our 'gotta visit' list. Those not taking advantage of the camping opportunities in our National Forests are really missing some great spots. Horse Cove, just outside Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest, is our favorite in western NC. The ones just down the road on Santeelah Creek are pretty nice also.

Al
National Forest campgrounds are the best! I've been to Horse Cove, but only tent camping. We haven't taken the Casita there yet.
Old 10-18-2006, 04:47 PM   #9

Trailer: 81 Trillium 5500 (Pearl)
Thanks for the wonderful update and photos. We have definetely added this to our list of places to go. We have stayed at Grayson Highlands State Park next to the Mount Rogers area. That was also a beautiful park. While there we biked on the Virginia Creeper Trail. If you go in the right direction you don't even need to pedal.

Kathy
Kathy & Doug Roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 07:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Thanks for the wonderful update and photos. We have definetely added this to our list of places to go. We have stayed at Grayson Highlands State Park next to the Mount Rogers area. That was also a beautiful park. While there we biked on the Virginia Creeper Trail. If you go in the right direction you don't even need to pedal.

Kathy
My wife and I adore the Virginia Creeper Trail. When we stayed at Beartree Recreation Area this summer, we biked the Creeper from Whitetop Station down to Damascus. We had a blast! And you're right...you almost never have to pedal! Just steer and enjoy the ride (and apply the brakes unless you want to get airborne).

Here are two shots (out of about 200) that I took on the Virginia Creeper in June.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0454.JPG   IMG_0452.JPG