I need recommendations too! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2009, 08:10 PM   #1

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I will be traveling with my Burro next week, from San Diego to Nancy A's campground in Show Low to take her workamper position. (Yay! I have a job!)

I will be heading out the 8, trying to go as far as Casa Grande, AZ. the first day. Does anyone know of any safe overnites between Yuma and Casa Grande (Or around it?)

I am not looking for scenic, just quiet, cheap and safe. County campgrounds, Forest Service (She snickers at the prospect of finding a "forest" out there) State Parks or even BLM areas work, as well as RV parks.

I should make it to Show Low the second day, but will consider anything as a stop between Casa Grande and there if it is a good camping experience. (NOT in the Phoenix area tho)
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:27 PM   #2

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Gina,
Congratulations! At least you won't have to be paying to stay in a park and hopefully making a few $'s also.
Is it a year-round camp, or is the position seasonal?
Are you going to be able to make it home before you leave?
Inquiring minds want to know!
Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 12:41 AM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Quote:
I will be traveling with my Burro next week, from San Diego to Nancy A's campground in Show Low to take her workamper position. (Yay! I have a job!)
Wow, THAT was quick! Congrats on the Workkamper job! Now, about your question - I'm pretty sure there is a WalMart in Yuma - don't know if the local ordinance allows overnighters tho', and might be a bit concerned about proximity to the border these days. There is also a Cracker Barrel Restaurant which may or may not allow you to park o'night.

If you get a late start out of San Diego, or just want a short driving day, there is BLM camping right off I-8 near Holtville, east of El Centro - AND there are hot springs too!

Our best suggestion ... If you can make it to Gila Bend before stopping, here is the link to a place we've enjoyed - nice people, nice facilities, easy access/parking/ AND they actually like dogs! Rate is around $25/night with several small discounts offered (SKP, GoodSam, etc). Mike & Lori joined us there for a few days last winter:

http://www.augiesquailtrailrvpark.com/

Added note: there is 'bare bones' parking in 2 separate truck stops in Gila Bend if you choose that route.

If you can make it all the way to and beyond Casa Grande (the town) you can park at a WalMart across the highway from THE Casa Grande (the National Monument) - it's near the town of Coolidge on Arizona SR287. I notice Mapquest routes one thru Maricopa/Chandler and on east but I gather from your post you're hoping to avoid Phoenix-proper and this route will do that for the most part. It appears to be sorta on the route to Show Low. Here's the Nat'l Monument link:

http://www.nps.gov/cagr/

Wishing you all the best as you turn a page and follow a new life path. Here's to good things happenin' L 'n D
Old 02-20-2009, 10:42 AM   #4

Registry
from Quail Trails rules:

"Excessive use of foul language will not be tolerated."

I am not sure they will want me

Thanks, that is just what I am looking for. And NO.. I do not want to stay anywhere near the border when "free" is involved. I may not be rich anymore, but that don't make me stupid..
Old 02-20-2009, 12:00 PM   #5

Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17 ft ('Beastie')
Registry
Thumbs up

My new AAA map shows a campground symbol near Wellton, but I can't find any info. There is also a campground symbol at Yuma and at Gila Bend. I don't have CampBook.

There are private RV parks in Wellton and Dateland. The military used to drop bombs in the Restricted Area to the south of I-8, probably still do. Spectacular at night. Watch where you camp!

Bob
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 12:52 PM   #6

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft
Painted Rock is is about 11 miles North of I-8 and West of Gila Bend:

http://www.blm.gov/az/st/en/prog/recreatio...inted_rock.html

Also, these guys found a free county campground at the intersection of I-8 and 84. Scroll down to the picture of the Chihuahua. The description is on the left.

http://thebayfieldbunch.com/2009/01/good-t...t-campsite.html

Pat
Patrick Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 02:41 PM   #7

Registry
wow. That county park looks perfect too! Thanks!
Old 02-25-2009, 09:21 PM   #8

Registry
well, I am at that county park, and even tho I pulled in at dusk, it seems nice. It "feels" right. I will see and take a picture in the morning. The lights of Casa Grande are really neat, spread out on the horizon.

This place is totally dry, bring your own water, but you have a great selection of types of sites you want. some have covered picnic tables on a pad, others are just pull throughs in the desert foliage.. all is quiet and respectful here.

I asked a guy where to pay and I liked his answer "You don't". Free is a very good price!

I am just here for the nite, but cell, internet and digital tv are all full power.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:05 PM   #9

Trailer: 1984 Fiber Stream
Sounds like you found a great place for the night. Have a safe trip. So glad you found some work.
Pamela S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 02:20 AM   #10

Hi, Gina - the County Park sounds like a spot we'll need to check out in our rambles. Glad you found a free & safe camping place. Looking forward to hearing all about the RV park too. Will we see you on I-10 for your return trip or are you already taking care of business back on the mountain? L 'n D
Old 02-26-2009, 08:03 AM   #11

Name: Phil
Trailer: 17ft 98 Casita FD
Texas
congrats Gina !!
Phil Underwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:44 AM   #12

Registry
D&L, no. I am going back VIA the 40. I have to stop in Flagstaff at an amp manufacturer there. Now that I am a "Free" agent, I can do some independent contracting. This guy has been trying to get me to help him for years, but doing so would have jeopardized my "real" employment. Now, I don't care LOL! He builds in a year what Fender builds in a day, so no hope of a permanent type job, but I can dabble a bit and keep my chops up.

Here are a few pics. It's definately... desert, but very pretty in it's own prickly kinda way.

Attached Thumbnails
jpinalwpark1.jpg   jpinalwpark2.jpg  

jpinalwpark3.jpg  
Old 02-26-2009, 12:49 PM   #13

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot
It looks like a beautiful, peaceful spot! Thanks for the photos. Congratulations on your new job and other opportunities. Wishing you the best...
Charlene Urso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 04:49 PM   #14

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Gina,
Sorry the cell phone hook-up didn't work. It was good to hear your voice even if I couldn't understand you.
We'll continue praying for travel mercies for you,
Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 06:22 PM   #15

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft
The Sahuaro in the 3rd pic looks friendly...he's waving.

Pat
Patrick Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 01:15 AM   #16

Ho-ho, whatta hoot that you can put all your experience to use as a contractor ... er, make that Consultant! Who knows what additional doors might open in the future? Sorry we won't see you this trip, tho'. Hope you don't hit any more snow at Flagstaff ... you have enough waiting at home!

The pics are super - thanx for letting us share your new location. Well ... at least you got a bit of "Desert 101" at Dome Rock, eh?
Hope good things keep happening! L 'n D