Interested in seeing wild horses on east coast - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 04-27-2017, 06:47 PM   #21

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
Troy, I remember the thread here on your rebuild. It was inspiring! A friend calls mine the Silver Twinkie, though the official name is Rucio.
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 09:02 PM   #22

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
The island is split in two with Maryland and Virginia and we are located in Maryland.
There is a part of the island where you can camp in the Virgine, but we did not find as beautiful, charming ...
Taste for everyone.
:Gilles have you ever been to Sable Island, I think if you get a permit they let a few onto the island each year but only a few to take pictures, you have to stay at base camp in your own tent I have no idea about food, water etc. and only way there is by small land plane.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 09:48 PM   #23

Name: Ruthe
Trailer: Escape 19
New Jersey
It's been 25 years, but our stay at the National Park on Assateague was memorable. The horses came through our campsite and it thrilled our kids -- Someone said that the State Park was better and I wouldn't doubt that the facilities are better but we did enjoy the National Park -- spent a lot of time on the beach, although it was a pretty cool June. That's where we learned that horses can eat poison ivy and it's okay for them.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 05:05 AM   #24

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB, 2004
Quebec
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stude View Post
:Gilles have you ever been to Sable Island, I think if you get a permit they let a few onto the island each year but only a few to take pictures, you have to stay at base camp in your own tent I have no idea about food, water etc. and only way there is by small land plane.
Stude
No I have never been to Sable Island.
I saw some very nice reports on this park,
After consulting the following link, you will be able to imagine all the logistics that surround this adventure.

https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/pn-np/ns/sable

Have a good day,
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 05:31 AM   #25

Quebec
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen b View Post
Gilles, you've got Ms Macky and her mom Gokey Go Go Bones in your first photo. Yep...I know all their names LOL.
Was it you who gave a name to each one to identify them by amusing you or if it is the park that makes the identification?

If I remember correctly, I have read that they are being followed by veterinarians annually, I believe, and that they monitor the births to control the herd...
Old 04-28-2017, 05:49 AM   #26

Quebec
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthe View Post
It's been 25 years, but our stay at the National Park on Assateague was memorable. The horses came through our campsite and it thrilled our kids -- Someone said that the State Park was better and I wouldn't doubt that the facilities are better but we did enjoy the National Park -- spent a lot of time on the beach, although it was a pretty cool June. That's where we learned that horses can eat poison ivy and it's okay for them.
The park is super well maintained.
There are guards who do patrols regularly on the beach and in the campsite.
I noticed one morning that there are officials who pass by, look for and pick up the excrement of the horses.

The section used to camp has no service, but the sanitary services, showers and toilets are impeccable.
They were to make complete improvements to other sanitary buildings in the park.
Old 04-28-2017, 07:42 AM   #27

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Was it you who gave a name to each one to identify them by amusing you or if it is the park that makes the identification?

If I remember correctly, I have read that they are being followed by veterinarians annually, I believe, and that they monitor the births to control the herd...
The Assateague Island Alliance does annual raffles for naming rights to the ponies, and they run a foster program for fundraising. You can see photos of all the named ponies on their foster-a-pony page. Some the names get pretty corny, the risk of handing over naming rights to the general public! All in good fun though. The naming auctions for last year's four foals went over $1200 each! I keep meaning to get a bunch of friends together to win an auction and come up with the ultimate cheesy pony name.
Assateague Island Alliance

The birth rate on the Maryland side is controlled by horse birth control injections to all the mares each year. Foals still happen because a couple of the mares seem always resistant to the hormonal method. (Carol's Girl for example seems to have a foal every year). In order to rebalance the herd, I believe that no birth control was handed out last year, so we'll have a bumper crop of tiny fuzzy baby ponies this year, which is going to be awesome. The first was born already to Harmony, couple of weeks ago.

In Virginia the ponies are the property of the Chincoteague fire department and they control numbers by selling weanlings at the summer sale every year.
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 10:24 AM   #28

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
For Cumberland island visit, we camped at the KOA in Kingston, GA, which is confusingly named Jacksonville (FL) on the KOA and Google pages. They offer a free pancake or waffle breakfast every day.
Old 04-28-2017, 03:21 PM   #29

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
The island is split in two with Maryland and Virginia and we are located in Maryland.
There is a part of the island where you can camp in the Virgine, but we did not find as beautiful, charming ...
Taste for everyone.
:
Gilles, there is a fellow who goes to Sable Island every so often, flies in and lands on beach, camps up by the station and never over stays his time here but the first year he spent around 2 weeks on the island and he would sit out at a safe distance from the horses until they started to accept him and come closer to him and bring their young, he got right up close and took pictures of all of them also got a Farrier out after making friends with the horses that needed work done on the hoof areas. He has some real beautiful pictures of these Wild Horses and I mean wild, and the logistics of getting there and not getting off right away make these horses wild, they have been there for more years than one knows probably long before man, these horses are wild, they live and die out there, no one feeds them they rely on their own.
I think the wave action is great to, so many different scenes besides wild horses.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 03:56 PM   #30
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Assateague

In my experience Assateague is a tough place to find a camp site without reservations. In four tries we were successful only once and that was well past labor day. That was a few years back at the National Seashore. The state park didn't allow pets at the time. Now they do. We camped on the sound side. Very pleasant, especially if you enjoy watching the shore birds. Currently it is $20 to get in and $30 per night to camp unless you have the senior pass. No hook ups and cold showers. We're due for a revisit. Raz

P. S. Be aware, pets are not welcome anywhere in the Virginia portion of the National Seashore. NOT EVEN IN YOUR CAR.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 04:08 PM   #31

Name: Troy
Trailer: Burro 13'
Kentucky
Jen, thank you for the comments on my little burro but it was actually Mark Shatter. That did the rebuild and I bought it from him that Year (2011).

And thank you all so very much for all the information you are giving me. Its will be a trip I'm going to take next year. So I'm doing a lot of research between now and then.
Troy Hawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 04:17 PM   #32

Quebec
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
In my experience Assateague is a tough place to find a camp site without reservations. In four tries we were successful only once and that was well past labor day. That was a few years back at the National Seashore. The state park didn't allow pets at the time. Now they do. We camped on the sound side. Very pleasant, especially if you enjoy watching the shore birds. Currently it is $20 to get in and $30 per night to camp unless you have the senior pass. No hook ups and cold showers. We're due for a revisit. Raz
Last year we were in the ring "E" and we had bathrooms all ceramic with hot showers, very well kept.
We return to the same location this spring, to spend 10 days this time.
For reservations we booked 11 months in advance, the maximum, in order to get the desired place.
Old 04-28-2017, 04:34 PM   #33
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
Last year we were in the ring "E" and we had bathrooms all ceramic with hot showers, very well kept.
We return to the same location this spring, to spend 10 days this time.
For reservations we booked 11 months in advance, the maximum, in order to get the desired place.
I bet you were at the state park. The National Seashore lists, chemical toilets and cold showers.
https://www.nps.gov/asis/planyourvis...andcamping.htm
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 05:17 PM   #34

Name: Ron
Trailer: Casita
Tennessee
Hey Troy, I'm not sure of how you will plan with all of the great suggestions you received here. But, I'm going to plan on making some of these awesome sounding trips. We'll need to discuss some of these at Bardstown in June.

Ron
Ron H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 05:25 PM   #35

Name: Troy
Trailer: Burro 13'
Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron H. View Post
Hey Troy, I'm not sure of how you will plan with all of the great suggestions you received here. But, I'm going to plan on making some of these awesome sounding trips. We'll need to discuss some of these at Bardstown in June.

Ron
Ron, that's a deal. We will have to schedule through Anita my boss lady... LOL but they sound like some fun trips don't they? So much information from these people, they're great!!

Troy
Troy Hawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 06:41 AM   #36

Quebec
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
I bet you were at the state park. The National Seashore lists, chemical toilets and cold showers.
https://www.nps.gov/asis/planyourvis...andcamping.htm
No, we reserve in the "E" loop, not services on the ground, but hot showers and regular toilets recently furnished, very clean and very well maintained

Someone made a video last year just on the "E" loop. We reserve "E-14" near the dune.:

At the end of the 2017 camping season, they make land modifications in the loops. Many of the dune campgrounds will be removed to get away from the sea and the numbering of the campgrounds will be completely changed.
On their website you can read the reasons and details of these changes.
Attached Thumbnails
E-14.jpg  
Old 07-14-2017, 08:05 PM   #37

Name: Mark
Trailer: EggCamper 2012 #109, by 2006 Tundra or 2014 Outback
Western Massachusetts
Hi Troy,

There are also (feral) horses on Shackleford Banks and Cedar Island, NC.

The Shackleford herd of about 100 can be seen from passenger or tourist ferries out of Harker's Island and Beaufort, NC.

The Cedar Island herd of about 30 is a bit more remote, but a long walk (wear your swim suit) down the beach from the ferry station and you might find them, along with some (also sort of feral) cattle and sheep, so be careful. I took this picture of the Cedar Island horses from a boat when we fishing nearby.

There is a newly reconditioned campground adjacent to that beach which has a stable where you can rent horses for a beach ride.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
MC Pictures 2005-2014 370.jpg  
Old 07-14-2017, 09:49 PM   #38

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
There"s a herd of wild donkeys in D.C. But they may disperse in August.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 06:25 AM   #39

Name: Diane
Trailer: 2015 Lil Snoozy
Delaware
Is anyone here old enough to have read, "Misty of Chincoteague" by Marguerite Henry? Perhaps it's a baby boomer thing. Fall is a wonderful time to visit.
Bernese Bunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 06:53 AM   #40

Name: KAY
Trailer: SCAMP
Missouri
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernese Bunch View Post
Is anyone here old enough to have read, "Misty of Chincoteague" by Marguerite Henry? Perhaps it's a baby boomer thing. Fall is a wonderful time to visit.
All
Of
Them
likeair2me is offline   Reply With Quote