Interested in seeing wild horses on east coast - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camping, Campout Reports
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-26-2017, 04:53 PM   #1

Name: Troy
Trailer: Burro 13'
Kentucky
Interested in seeing wild horses on east coast

Thinking of going to Cumberland island, Georgia and am aware there are no trailers/rvs on the island. Has anybody been here and give me information on the best place to stay with the trailer and sites/attractions to see in the area? Thank you in advance for any information you have or can share.
Troy Hawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 05:09 PM   #2

Name: Bryan
Trailer: Casita "Cozy-Casa"
Central Virginia
Could see wild horses closer to home - Grayson Highlands State Park Virginia - Campground is nice but not off the charts nice. The upper nature trail is OFF THE CHARTS awesome. You will see wild horses on this hike and get close enough to touch them. Babies will be being born in full around July 4th - really neat to photo the new borns. While there make sure you go to Damascus and rent some bikes and have them take you to the top of the mountain at Whitetop VA. It is a 17 mile down hill ride on an old railroad bed going through the woods, over trestles, next to a river with lots of waterfalls, some old train stations, etc.... cost is about 22.00 with bike rental last I checked and is not to be missed. The ponies also swim out at Chincoteague Island but I cannot remember the date.
Old 04-26-2017, 05:15 PM   #3

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Casita Independence "Callimachusita"
Ocean City, NJ
You can stay at Crooked River right outside of St. Mary's where you will catch the boat to Cumberland. No cars at all on Cumberland. Take a tour.
A good place to eat is the Millhouse in Kingsland. Happy hour all day and great steaks.
An alternative is Jekyll island Campground. There you can tour the Jekyll island club where the Vanderbilt's, Rockefeller's and Pulitzers took there vacations. Take a ride on the tram for an overview.
Pod Puppies: Josie and Frankie, Casita Kittens: Madison & Razzel & Mrs. Chow
librarianocnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 05:29 PM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We went to Cumberland Island one time. You have to take a ferry out to it, passengers only, no vehicles. Best to make reservations for the ferry a few days in advance. Be sure not to miss the return ferry or you're stuck out there. May have seen a couple horses, I say they were fenced in domestic horses, wife says we saw a couple wild horses. Not sure who is right. Usually we stay in the campground on Jekyll Island, about 30 miles north. Campground is so - so, sites packed tight, lots of trees, buggy, dusty, but the only campground on an otherwise wonderful island. For a real wild horse encounter go to Assateague Island, the north end in Maryland. State park is better than the Federal. The horses wander all over, crap in your campsite, steal your food, stomp through tents, and even go out on the beach, bite and kick, and get hit by cars, so you can get up close and personal with them. The southern end of the island, Chincoteague is in Virginia, that's where they do the annual pony swim and auction. Those horses are fenced off from the public. We've camped at both Assateague and Chincoteague. Crooked River State Park is in St Mary's where you get the ferry to Cumberland.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 08:52 AM   #5

Name: Trish
Trailer: Recently sold RV. Will be shopping for a trailer in a few years.
Pennsylvania
For wild horses:
Welcome to the Chincoteague Island, Virginia First Official Tourist page
themcd1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 09:21 AM   #6

Name: Bonnie
Trailer: Born Free
Virginia
Wild horses

There are wild horses on the Outer Banks, at both Corolla and Ocracoke. On Ocracoke they rotate several into a large pen near the road, so that you can be assured of seeing some. In Corolla, none are penned.
corgicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 10:06 AM   #7

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Casita Independence "Callimachusita"
Ocean City, NJ
Corolla, NC is a great place to visit. If you haven't been there, take a look on Google satellite map. There is about 12 miles of sand/dunes after the road ends with million dollar homes that need a 4WD to get to. There are wild horses roaming free amongst them.
Pod Puppies: Josie and Frankie, Casita Kittens: Madison & Razzel & Mrs. Chow
librarianocnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 10:09 AM   #8

Kentucky
I was not aware there were so many different places to see Wild Horses. I had heard about the one in Georgia and some in the Outer Banks it looks like I have a little more research to do before I decide. Thanks for all the information and if any more do's and don'ts please feel free to let me know.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:29 AM   #9

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Chincoteague, NC

There is a bridge. It may be in MD, not NC. ...been over 30 yrs ago.
Chincoteague Pony Swim
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 10:32 AM   #10

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB, 2004
Quebec
Registry
We went last year, 5 days, on the island of Assateague State Park in Maryland, on the edge of the sea with the trailer, we only have a bridge to cross.
We return back this year, 10 days in may 15 to 25. It was booked 11 months in advance to be able to spend 10 days in a row.
There is a sand dune that separates us from the sea. When there are waves, we hear them even at night, without it being disturbing.
Very pleasant.
People I met went in July and they said there were a lot of flies ...
Last year we were there from May 16 to May 20 and I noticed 3 mosquitoes all week and no disturbing fly.

https://www.reserveamerica.com/unifSearchResults.do
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 10:42 AM   #11

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 72 View Post
There is a bridge. It may be in MD, not NC. ...been over 30 yrs ago.
Chincoteague Pony Swim
Your link shows it's Virginia
Old 04-27-2017, 10:42 AM   #12

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Hawkins View Post
Thinking of going to Cumberland island, Georgia and am aware there are no trailers/rvs on the island. Has anybody been here and give me information on the best place to stay with the trailer and sites/attractions to see in the area? Thank you in advance for any information you have or can share.
We've been going to Cumberland Island for the last 25 years, it is the only place that we are still willing to sleep in a tent. As a matter of fact, we will be spending 3 nights there labor day weekend for our anniversary this year. It's still our favorite vacation destination. So peaceful and relaxing, especially after the day-trippers leave on the last ferry.
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 10:44 AM   #13

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregandTeresa View Post
We've been going to Cumberland Island for the last 25 years, it is the only place that we are still willing to sleep in a tent. As a matter of fact, we will be spending 3 nights there labor day weekend for our anniversary this year. It's still our favorite vacation destination. So peaceful and relaxing, especially after the day-trippers leave on the last ferry.
I should add that my profile picture is from Cumberland Island, note the wild horses in the background. And yes, they are definitely wild horses.
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 10:45 AM   #14

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by librarianocnj View Post
Corolla, NC is a great place to visit..
Be sure to go to Duck Donuts, they have a couple locations on the Outer Banks
Old 04-27-2017, 10:51 AM   #15

Quebec
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Your link shows it's Virginia
The island is split in two with Maryland and Virginia and we are located in Maryland.
There is a part of the island where you can camp in the Virgine, but we did not find as beautiful, charming ...
Taste for everyone.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:28 AM   #16

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Assateague National Park

Camp right next to the dunes. Horses abound,we've seen them running on the beach. Dry camping but only $5 for seniors. We prefer the spring and fall

Norm

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 11:52 AM   #17

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
I am a wild horse junkie and also recommend Assateague for the best experience. The trouble with Cumberland island, if you are at all interested in photography, is that the ferry doesn't get you out there in the morning until the light has gone past harsh and terrible.

In the summer you'll reliably see the Assateague ponies sleeping all day on the beach, using the breeze to escape the biting insects. Those insects plus the crowds are why I am day trip only in the summer, camping in the off season (bonus it's way less crowded before May and after September but then too cold to swim...).

At Chincoteague the northern herd does roam outside of the fences and you can sometimes see small bands along the wildlife drive in the wildlife refuge. A hike up the north-south access road can usually net sightings of northern herd members as well.

Images from Assateague:
Attached Thumbnails
26240062730_a759a498d1_z.jpg   28396755660_6352afd9ea_z.jpg  

jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 12:04 PM   #18

Quebec
Registry
I also have some pictures of Assateague State Park.
Attached Thumbnails
Assateague State Park -2.jpg   Assateague State Park.jpg  

Chaise.jpg   Pêche.jpg  

Vent.jpg  
Old 04-27-2017, 05:20 PM   #19

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
Gilles, you've got Ms Macky and her mom Gokey Go Go Bones in your first photo. Yep...I know all their names LOL.
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 05:55 PM   #20

Kentucky
JEN,
Love your little burro here is a picture of mine. They have nicknamed it the Burro-stream.Click image for larger version

Name:	20170422_104943.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	105375