Is this place ok or do you recommend someplace better? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2014, 10:48 PM   #1

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Is this place ok or do you recommend someplace better?

Taking a trip to CA at the end of May. Attending a family wedding in Corona. Because I'm making this a extended trip while I'm there, I'm taking my Casita. Will only need a couple of nights in the Corona area for the wedding, then traveling up the coast to the Rincon and Ojai. The family that I will be attending the wedding for, don't camp. So they didn't have any idea other than this place because it's close to the wedding venue. My family all over CA who do camp, don't go to LA to camp . So they have no suggestions either. Anyone have any idea if this is an ok place to stay at? I just don't want to stay in the hood. I don't really care about anything other than it's safe. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks!

Welcome To Glen Ivy RV Park, Corona Ca. 92883 | (951) 277-4261 | Southern California's Top 10 Rv Park | Campground
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 11:02 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Used my trailer to attend a wedding with my wife and daughter.
I have been informed since, that that will never happen again.
We will get a hotel room.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:26 PM   #3

I understand Glen, but I'm making a month long vacation out of this trip and 2 weeks of the month are camping get together's with friends and family. Old high school girlfriends all camping on the beach like the good old days. Well back in those days we just threw blankets on the sand. So this camping get together will be a little more adult-ish I hope! That could be questionable, but lets hope 35 years later we have our stuff together better!

Then of course since I have to have it for the get together's I will go ahead and use it the rest of the time. Which is fine for me with the exception of the wedding weekend. I'm a fish out of water in LA area anymore! How I whipped around there when I was a teen I don't know. Once I leave Corona and get out of the LA area it will all be worth it. It's getting to Corona and out of Corona to Ojai that will be interesting pulling a trailer.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:40 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I'm thinking drop the trailer and book a room near the wedding venue.
Old 05-15-2014, 05:24 AM   #5

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud -1988
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
The site pictures look like an area away from the city. Also, its location is east of the mountains, so it seems to be far from any tough areas of LA. I would stay there!
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 07:39 AM   #6

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I have stayed at that facility in the past and would call it more of a "Residential" campground, with more permanent, than temporary, guests. I would not recommend the facility.

I would suggest looking at the several "Regional Parks" in the area that have camp sites as well as the "Canyon RV Park", about 4 miles west of Corona, on the 91 @ the Gypsum Canyon exit. I usually recommend them for visitors that are also visiting Disneyland. (Gotta admit, not many come just to visit Corona)

I was in Ojai last week delivering a trailer I sold. RV sites are very limited, motels are very expensive and weekends are like a zoo with all the cages left open..... Think Ventura, downtown at night Rocks.....

BTW: If you are planning on staying at any CA beach campgrounds, make your reservations NOW.

When in Corona, be sure to come to Riverside and visit the Mission Inn

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 07:58 AM   #7

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I'm not sure where Corona is but I have friends who have stayed at an RV park near the coast somewhere; I can ask them which one if you want.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 08:01 AM   #8

Corona is about 50 Looooog miles from the coast, up to a 2 hour drive in rush hours.

Old 05-15-2014, 10:36 AM   #9

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
RV Park
or maybe Lake Perris.
Camping, Groups, Horse Camp, Special Events

Leaving Corona I would take the 15 freeway north to the 210 west. When you get to Pasadena in stead of going 134 west stay right to 210 north take it to the 5 north until you get over the moutains and then take the Fillmore highway 126 to ventura and to Ojai. This will get you out of the worse of LA traffic on the west side. this is longer but towing the trailer much less stressful. The 126 is through farm land so stop at some of the fruit stands for fresh produce.
California State Route 126 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 10:42 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
(Gotta admit, not many come just to visit Corona)

I was in Ojai last week delivering a trailer I sold. RV sites are very limited, motels are very expensive and weekends are like a zoo with all the cages left open..... Think Ventura, downtown at night Rocks.....
LOL, Yes having grown up in Ojai, I understand the Corona not being a vacation destination. LOL, imagine my concern. Though I hear Corona has cleaned up a bit.

And actually in Ojai, I will stay at ether a friends driveway or Camp Comfort. Your right on the cages opening up . Ojai of today isn't the Ojai I grew up in at all!!!!!! I've stayed or been in just about every hotel/motel in Ojai.

I would recommend the, little Rancho Motel on the right side going into town. It's got a funky little vibe and it's old. But I found it to be clean and safe. New owners fixing it up and owners that actually care about their service. Some of the other crap in town is horrible and dirty. Unless you stay at the private b and b's. Which are pricey.......

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I was worried it would be residential! UGH! But also worry getting caught up in traffic for hours trying to go 30 miles! I would drop the trailer, but then my trailer is left to it's own defense's while I'm hanging in a hotel! That scares me more than a icky rv park! I will check out other options, Thanks again everyone!
Old 05-15-2014, 10:58 AM   #11

Ooops, not to mention that, unless for some reason, you also take the 118 along the way, you will never get to the I-405 going that way, but there is a much better and shorter route from Corona to Ojai.

Corona>>> 91 West>>> 71 North >>>60 west (3 miles only) >>> 57 North >>>210 West (Be careful at Pasadena or you will get on the 134 by accident) I-5 North >>> 126 west (Just past 6 Flags)>>> 101 North >>>33 North>> Ojai.

DO NOT be tempted to take the 150 from Santa Paula to Ojai.... I looks shorter, but it is a very tight windy road, that's not trailer friendly, and will take longer than the 101 & 33 routing.

As mentioned earlier, I just drove this route 2 weeks ago.

BTW: I also stay at the Rancho Motel and it was fully booked mid-week so I went back to Ventura.

Old 05-15-2014, 11:14 AM   #12

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Bob is correct You want the 5 not the 405 from the 210.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 04:22 PM   #13

Thanks Bob for the tips on which freeways to take.
Growing up in Ojai I have been over "150" hundreds if not thousands of times. It doesn't bother me, my best friend lived almost to the top. I even pulled a boat over it a couple of times. It's not fun trip, but wanted pizza @ Bocalli's so instead of going the other way around went for it.

But that was when I was young and full of myself . I'm getting old and cautious! LOL.... Last time I ended up in Corona (years ago) because I missed my Pear Blossom turn off I thought I would die before I got to Ojai. I was so lost, so turned around and when you stop and ask for direction no one, and I mean no one speaks english! Finally found this blonde haired guy thinking, Whew he will know how to direct me. Ummmmm, no he was Russian! UGH!

Thanks agian, everyone!
Old 05-15-2014, 06:48 PM   #14

Name: David
Trailer: Escape Trailers
Massachusetts
KOA Pomona

We stayed at the KOA Pomona/Fairplex, 2200 N White Ave, Pomona, CA 91768, (888) 562-4230 for a week in February. It's a fairly typical KOA. I consider it quite safe with nice bathrooms, generally clean. It's immediately adjacent to the LA fairgrounds, about 25 miles from Corona. It's on a relatively busy street so like most KOAs, there is some road noise. There aren't a lot of campgrounds in the LA area, probably due to real estate prices.
Stretcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 12:52 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretcher View Post
There aren't a lot of campgrounds in the LA area, probably due to real estate prices.

Alot like Vegas, use to be ton's of rv parks. Now they have been torn down to make way for housing....... Thanks for the info.
Old 05-16-2014, 01:42 AM   #16

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Robin, any chances of parking at someones place that are in the wedding ?
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 02:29 PM   #17

Unfortunately Dave, no the only person (cousin) lives in a apartment.

But things have changed this morning. One of my girl friends whom I will be camping on the beach with was telling some other friends my plans for my trip. They were like, oh no she's not staying in Corona by herself nor pulling that trailer through LA. He actually is working in LA for the next few months so he's going to meet me and take my trailer to Ojai for the weekend so I can now stay at the hotel with all my family who are flying in for the wedding. Whew! No worries about leaving the trailer somewhere and he's actually an rv'er as well as he pull's heavy equipment into LA all the time for jobs. So he has far more experience navigating LA with a tow. So now I can actually just enjoy the wedding weekend and have no worries about getting lost in LA.! Yeah! Honestly that was one part of my trip I was dreading! So things have actually worked out well. Thanks everyone for your help!

Oh and I have even better news! I order Moonies for my trailer! They just called and told me their in! So excited to see them on. The tire guy took my rims and tires off and put a Moonie on the other day, even he got excited at how cute it looked!

See you all on the road.................................
Old 05-16-2014, 02:40 PM   #18

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Glad it worked out for you.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 03:46 PM   #19

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin G View Post
... Last time I ended up in Corona (years ago) because I missed my Pear Blossom turn off I thought I would die before I got to Ojai. I was so lost, so turned around and when you stop and ask for direction no one, and I mean no one speaks english! Finally found this blonde haired guy thinking, Whew he will know how to direct me. Ummmmm, no he was Russian! UGH!
Really?! A place in the good old USA where no one speaks English? The idea seems so... foreign. (pun intended)
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 04:29 PM   #20

Right..............

Tags
eco