Jekyll island, georgia - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2013, 03:48 PM   #1

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Jekyll island, georgia

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	324.5 KB
ID:	66861
This is our winter home for awhile
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 04:08 PM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We visited Jekyll Island S P last February for the first time and really enjoyed our visit. Lots to see in the area around the park. Hope you have good weather ,we had a couple of mornings in the 20's last year . Did they get done with construction yet ,last year the roads into the park and in the park were under construction and one of the bath houses was closed?
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 05:10 PM   #3

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
That looks like a comfortable spot.

After being at Jekyll for a while, it seems only appropriate that you might want to make plans for a (non-winter) visit to Hyde State Park in New Mexico.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 06:12 PM   #4

New York
Steve; we were here all last February, actually December and January too. Why didn't we see you? At this time the hotel across from the Quality Inn is closed for renovation, new construction is ongoing near the convention center, roadwork is done. Campground is the same as last year, supposed to get a major addition but doubt we'll ever see that as there are other projects ahead of it. The stores are still in their temporary location on Beachview Drive. Spent most of today getting set up so have not got into the historic district yet or to the south end of the island, or even to the beach, but plenty of time for all that, 3 months before we head back north. We have been coming here for 20 years. Mike; no beach in NM, but 25 years ago we went to New Mexico, Los Alamos & Santa Fe, & Carlsbad Caverns. Our son had a summer job at Los Alamos so we all drove out and left him and the car there. Interesting country, but much different from what we are used to in the northeast.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:53 PM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Bob :I envy you ,our lake froze over the other day and the boys are out ice fishing . I just got done shoveling out the driveway , cleaning the snow off out trailer and our decks They are talking about below zero temps this coming weekend . The only good thing is that it's muzzleloader season for deer and the snow will help with the hunt. Enjoy your time ,I am sure there will be plenty of snow waiting for you when you return home
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:24 PM   #6

Name: Shawn
Trailer: Boler
Florida
Mary & Bob, have you been to Cumberland Island yet? This is a great place with a great histoy to it. It is the next island down from you. Worth going but pack a lunch and bottle water.
If you like a good book try Stuart Woods book "Palindrome". I read the book before I went to the island.
ShawnKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 02:03 PM   #7

New York
Shawn; a few years ago we went to Cumberland Island, actually probably 10 years ago by now. Even more fun was a trip to Sapelo Island, once owned by Richard J Reynolds. Can't go there unless invited by a resident or on a guided tour. We hooked up with a resident who took us all over the island in an old Dodge pickup. It was very interesting. Most of the residents are descendants of former slaves.The Dodge quit out in the middle of nowhere and I had to fix it for him so we could get back to catch the ferry boat.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:01 AM   #8

Name: David
Trailer: Escape Trailers
Massachusetts
How's Jekyll Island in this recent bad weather?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Attachment 66861
This is our winter home for awhile
Hi Bob & Mary,

Hope you guys are okay! We're in McAllen, TX where it's cool, 34+, and rainy, but nothing like the way it sounds further east. Our homes sound much worse, but better prepared for it.

Be warm and well,

David & Rosemary
Stretcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:54 AM   #9

New York
Dreary day today, light rain, but we are far enough south to have avoided any ice or snow. 34 here too, and supposed to go to 70 this weekend. That's the way it has been all winter, few cold days, then a few warm days, then back to cold. It's been an off year all around us, other campers crashing cars, hitting trees backing in, one guy lost a trailer with his motorcycle on it, and a lady fell off the steps of their 5th wheel camper and is still in the hospital a week later. We have colds, but otherwise good. Tempted to pack up and go down into Florida, but like it too much here. Weather has to get better soon, or so we are trying to convince ourselves it will.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:33 PM   #10

Name: Monica
Trailer: Exploring fiberglass, 2014 Chevrolet Silverado 4.3L V6
Michigan
Tent/shelter

Hi Mary and Bob. I hope you are staying warm on Jekyll Island. I have been there several times, although not camping. There has been a long-standing bluegrass convention on New Year's Eve, and I have attended many times but not in the past several years. Have you ever attended?

If you don't mind sharing this information, what brand and model of tent/screenhouse do you have that is depicted on the left-hand side of the photo in your original post? It looks like a screenhouse with a snug full cover. It sure looks like a great extension of shelter space to use with a fiberglass trailer, especially for extended stays like yours. Do you heat it?
drstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 02:48 PM   #11

New York
Monica; we didn't attend the Bluegrass festival, although we were here at the time. Kind of pricey, but appears to be very popular and well attended. Screen rooms were the subject of a recent thread, with varying opinions, but I'll repeat my input. Ours is a Eureka Northern Breeze, 12 X 12, cost about $400. Zipper opening on two opposite sides, all 4 sides have flaps to close it in, or roll them up for the screens. I think the screens can also be unzipped at the corners and rolled up to use it as an open canopy. Note that when you roll up the flaps, roll them under so if it rains water won't lay in them. It comes with 3 poles so that one flap (any one of the 4) can be put out as an awning. The screen room is easily set up by 2 people, easier if you follow the directions. There is a you tube video showing how it can be set up by one person, although it is not very good, mainly showing the guys dog. We do heat it, either with a small 1500 watt electric heater if power is available, or with the medium size Mr Heater propane heater if no power is on site. However; today here the temperature is 34 degrees and the one electric heater won't get it warm enough. I can't run two electric heaters because it overheats the connections on my lead cords. Last year I tried using two electric heaters and burned out the 30 amp plug in the campground power pole. I do have one of the smaller Mr Heaters with me, and if I run that along with the one electric heater then we are quite comfortable.Temps are colder here than last year, so didn't bring the bigger propane heater. Won't make that mistake next year. Good news is that by Friday it will be 70. In our screen house we have the campground picnic table, 9 X 12 patio rug, TV, two comfortable chairs, folding camp table with hanging storage underneath, small fridge, toaster, coffee pot, microwave, footstools, light hanging in center. It is our living room / dining room. We do not cook in it, that is done under the other canopy that is also our bike garage.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:48 PM   #12

Michigan
Thanks for taking the time to respond. I am a relatively new member, and an infrequent reader/poster, so I missed the earlier thread on screen rooms. You seem to get a lot of use out of your screen room which wouldn't be possible without the solid flaps and heating units. Sounds like a really nice set up. Should I assume you believe that the Eureka Northern Breeze is a good value at $400?

I hope the weather turns around for you soon. I am in North Carolina right now, and they are predicting another night in the single digits.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:10 PM   #13

New York
We have had the screen room 4 or 5 years and are very happy with it. There are at least 3 others here in the campground right now. This is our 3rd variation of screen rooms, it works great for us, and if anything happened to damage it we would buy another. I don't mind repeating information as sometimes it can be difficult to find on old threads. There is a floor option for it but we like the polypropylene mat that we bought on ebay. Have not found a 12 X 12 mat yet. Weather is supposed to improve daily through the weekend. Since "screen room" isn't in the thread title, I have you captive to only my opinion, no one else has noticed us discussing it!
Old 01-29-2014, 07:16 PM   #14

Michigan
Well, since no one else is paying attention, I'll ask one more question, if you don't mind, and then I'll leave you alone.

Are the flaps part of a one-piece rainfly? In the photo, with the flaps secured, it looks like a one piece "overcoat" that is pulled snugly down over the screen room.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:41 PM   #15

New York
We do not mind any questions and will answer as best we can. I think I know what you mean in the flap question and will try to describe them. The screen room is one piece, does not have a rain fly that goes over the top.The flaps can be rolled up to the point where the roof starts to slope up to the peak. At each bottom corner of the flaps is a small hook to fasten the flap to a ring at the bottom of the corner pole. In the center of each flap is a little stretchy ring to hook under a tent stake that you push through a loop at the bottom of the screen wall. There are two entry points, on opposite sides of the screen room. At those points there is a zipper in the center of both the flap and the screen, a short piece of velcro on the bottom of the flap, along with two stretchy loops to hook on a stake. The screen on the entry sides has two tie down loops, one on each side of the zipper. What we usually do is stake down the screen and flap on one side of the zipper, that way you can unzip with one hand, push aside the flap not staked down to enter or exit.. The bottom of the screens panels have a solid piece all around to better seal the whole thing to the ground. There are tie straps all around, inside and out, for when you roll up the flaps or screens. It is important to stake it down and properly locate the corners for the zippers to work right. If in a windy location I use guy ropes at the upper corners. We bought ours from Campmor in NJ, but it's available other sources. Campmor's price may now be up to $525.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:56 PM   #16

Michigan
Thank you for that very good description. I will take a look at Campmor. I used to buy stuff from them all the time, but have not in the last few years. So thanks for the reminder (and your other helpful posts).
Old 02-02-2014, 10:01 AM   #17

New York
Want to say we had a good time with Jane and Greg from s.carolina, Rhonda and George from n. Carolina, we had a mini Uhaul rally, love Jekyll island and showing it to others, looking forward to Steve coming the end of the month, he has a casita. Still on the hunt for glass balls, so far only have one
Old 02-02-2014, 11:34 AM   #18

Name: Lorelei
Trailer: uhaul
Florida
We love Jekyll Island. It's always fun and relaxing.
Lorelei L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 01:42 PM   #19

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelei L View Post
We love Jekyll Island. It's always fun and relaxing.
Hook up your Uhaul and come on up. I'll show you how to fix it.
Old 02-02-2014, 02:56 PM   #20

Name: Lorelei
Trailer: uhaul
Florida
Sure, I'd love to, but we are still working people. Lol
Lorelei L is offline   Reply With Quote