John Day, Oregon campsite for the eclipse may be available - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camping, Campout Reports
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-03-2017, 11:54 PM   #1

Trailer: Compact Jr 1972
John Day, Oregon campsite for the eclipse may be available

I'm going to John Day, Oregon---smack in the middle of eastern Oregon--to see the eclipse. I reserved 2 RV sites next to each other in the John Day Industrial Park because I wasn't sure who could go. Turns out it's my small fiberglass RV, the dog, and two people, each in a small to medium tent. I'm not sure we can cram up on our one 60 x 20 foot site...nor that they will let us. In talking to the city's campground organizer, she mentioned the tents might be allowed if they can spread out. So if you have a small fiberglass RV trailer and are willing to allow one or more of my tents to "slop over' onto or be on your site (so you would sort of get a 40 x 20 foot area to use), I would strongly consider selling my "extra" site to you. The John Day Industrial Park sites are makeshift sites but will have water and sewer--but no electricity. Search for City of John Day Eclipse to read all about them. The reservations I have for the 2nd site are for Saturday 8/19 and Sunday 8/20. The eclipse is the morning of 8/21. John Day is really pretty close to the center of the best viewing. I paid $220 for those dates (If you won't share the site with my tenters: $2,000. tee hee.) However, since no one else but you or I is going to want that site before and after the dates I reserved, I assume getting the 17th, 18th or the 21st would be fairly easy. If interested after reading the City of John Day's website CALL 253-312-3372 and leave a COMPLETE message if I don't answer.

P.S. I forgot to mention but I got an email today saying from 2-12 on Saturday the 19th there is going to be a music festival (not hard rock--see the website) with vendors, etc. Otherwise the place is very close to the John Day Fossil Beds. We are hoping to go hunting for geodes at a private site.
Attached Thumbnails
eclipse route_26 poster.jpg  
Cory Hilby is offline   Reply With Quote