Joshua Tree NP - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2006, 08:58 PM   #1

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul 13 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Andy Earthman
I spent the day in Joshua Tree NP. I had a great time. I've never been here and I'm glad I made the trip. I entered on the South side last night and decided to turn around and wait till morning. I didnt want to spend $10 just to sleep. I drove to the South side of I10 and camped out on an unmaintained road. Got started early and went on every road except the 4x4 only roads. I wish I had 4x4. I hiked a few of the trails and got tired. exited the park in Joshua Tree, Ca. In the morning I'll head to 29 Palms and up to Mojave National Preserve.
Attached Thumbnails
jt_np.jpg  
Andy Earthman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 09:50 PM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Andy, out there taint no place to be on a 3 day weekend. The dirt eaters will be out in full force, the 15 freeway will be jammed with Vegas Traffic.

And I was VERY close to you a few hours ago.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 05:15 PM   #3

I spent a day in Mojave National Preserve, really just half a day and drove up and spent the night in Baker. In the morning a got some jerky and beans and headed north to Death Valley. I spent Thursday thru Sunday in DV.

I also saw the Amboy Crater in Amboy along the old Rt66. Still nothing in Amboy. Amboy was on eBay last year I think. Didn't sell on eBay but some guy did buy the town for less than 1/2 million. Now he needs to get water out there...

I entered the park at DV Junction on the east side of the park above Shoshone. First night I camped Sunset CG. In the morning I unhooked the camper and drove south down as far as Badwater area. I saw the Natural Bridge. Took the Artist drive and the lowest place in the US, Badwater.

Returned to the CG and hooked up, chowed down and headed out for Scotty's Castle on the North side of park. Stopped at the Borax mine along the way and another stop that I forgot the name of. Made it to the Castle kinda late, but was able to take both the underground and above ground tour of the Castle. I was the only one at the 5pm tour that night. Felt kinda stupid being the only one but I did pay for it and the gal that gave the tour wasn't going home early so we had a nice time and fun with it.

At 6pm or so the CG up in that area was filled. So I turn my rig northbound and headed out side the park into Nevada. Pulled off into the desert along some little used rd. and drove 50 yards or so into the desert. Made a fire, cooked some beans ate some jerky and beans and fell fast asleep after the fire was out. Woke up the next morning and fixed the flat tire that I got somehow the night before. I did bring along a full size spare as well as the space saver tire. After that I headed for the Race Track and the ??? Crater. It's a long 27 miles down a hard washboard road that I do not recommend anyone take unless you have a larger truck/ larger tires. Very hard road,, very bad shape.

27 miles took 2 hrs up and back. That pretty much killed the day. I was tired and shaken up a bit. I forgot to go to the Biggest Ghost town in the park. Damn it....

Made it to the Dunes at dusk and stovepipe well at dark. Decided that the CG at that location was ugly and pretty full, so I headed out for Wildrose CG up in the hills. Stovepipe is around 190ft below sea level, Wildrose is about 4100ft above.

Chatted with and shared the fire of a very nice old guy from Austin, TX that was working in Vegas. Had a few beers too. He offered and well I was just being nice. I don't really drink.

Best part of the trip for me was Sunday morning. I woke up to a little snow storm. Got a little scared and packed up and moved out. The Wildrose CG road is restricted to vehicle/combos of 25ft or less and for good reason. Kinda tight turns along the way and with snow and all...Well I headed out after sharing Cecils coffee. He was packed up fast a ready to split. I took his cue....did the same.

You know I have tons of pictures and I'll post ASAP. I took a break to read email in Palmdale, Ca at Panera Bread at 39403 10th St West. Palmdale,Ca. FYI..good free WiFi.

Where do I go from here.. Not sure 100%. Thinking about San Bernardino and doing some more Rt66 to Santa Monica Pier and then wait for warmer weather North along the PCH.

Any ideas for me?

Peace to all

A.

ps....one picture for now
Attached Thumbnails
Emigrant_Pass.jpg  
Old 02-23-2006, 05:58 PM   #4

I ended up backtracking a bit. Drove to Newberry Springs and visited the Bagdad Cafe. Back toward Barstow to San Berbardino. Spent the night in San Bernardino on the outskirts of town. I don't known much about these towns but my first impression is that they are kinda ghetto like. Many, many homeless druggie looking people walking around looking for trouble. I did visit the McDonald's museum on E St. That was kinda cool. The guy that owns that also owns the town of Amboy, Ca. and the Juan Pollo chicken joints in Ca.

www.juanpollo.com

for info on him and his vision.

Victorville was the same way, kinda ghetto like. I did see a pretty cool fiberglass camper in the works.

here is a picture.

A.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN4150.JPG  
Old 04-08-2006, 11:38 AM   #5

I just posted some pics of Joshua Tree NP from Febuary for those that
are interested. I arrived kinda late at night, the CG cost 10 bucks I
think. If you know me by now, you know I dont pay $10 bucks to sleep 8
hrs in my own camper. I drove back outside the park on the South side
of the highway and camped on public land. Those are the first few
pics. The rest are of the park and places along the way north. I have
yet to add any descriptions, more specific locations...I due time.

Hope ya enjoy
Peace,
A.

This link should take there directly.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/eastma...bum?.dir=/461e
Old 04-08-2006, 12:07 PM   #6

Trailer: Outfitter Caribou 6.5 ft Truck Camper
Thanks for sharing the pictures, Andy. We really like Joshua Tree---my avatar is our Tommy in Joshua tree.

Love your pictures

Diane
jdtrotter is offline   Reply With Quote