Kartchner Caverns, Patagonia Lake - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camping, Campout Reports
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-02-2010, 07:43 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Registry
For all of you who may be snowed or frozen in I thought that I would share a few pics and all from my between Christmas and New Year's trip to SE Arizona. My first stop was at Kartchner Caverns which is just south of Benson, AZ. It is a realitively new State Park at just over 10 years old now. I was able to get a campsite ($22 per night with electric) which was large and had a nice view and was close to the shower house and all. Luck was also with me as I was able to get a same day ticket for a tour of the cavern. If you plan to go there ever, one needs to have purchased their tickets prior to insure a tour. My ticket for the "Large Room" was $22.95, the other tour is near $19 I think (for adults). I was a bit surprised that this was a warm cave.....71 degrees and humid. It was only 50's outside, so it did feel good inside. The tour was awesome with all kinds of formations to look at, a very knowledgeable Ranger, and an easy walk on the trail. This is a 95% living cave and they have taken many measures to keep it that way and to preserve it for future generations. On a side note, NO bags, cameras, purses, etc. are allowed, so leave them in your car. They have a nice gift shop to purchase post cards and other things.

There was a rain/sleet storm overnight there, but was warm as toast in my Scamp. In the morning, I went for a hike around the park and to the top of the mountain there. Was pretty cold and cloudy, so the view from the top was of the little rock creature that someone prior had made. Was some snow along the trail, and the higher mountains were quite white. This trail worked the legs and lungs pretty good, but the views and fresh air were certainly worth it. Here are some pics from around Kartchner Caverns State Park.
Attached Thumbnails
december_09_021.JPG   december_09_022.JPG  

december_09_024.JPG   december_09_026.JPG  

december_09_017.JPG  
Chris L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 07:50 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Registry
And........Patagonia Lake State Park. It was a nice drive between Kartchner Caverns and Patagonia Lake. Again, I was able to snag a campsite with electric hookup ($22 per night). They also have lots of sites with out electric. This is a beautiful man made lake with a swimming beach, boat rentals, paddle boat rental, birding trails, boat launch etc... It made for a nice walk along the shoreline and around the campsites. I also hiked some of the birding trail which was quite populated with cows!!! Had to dodge the cow exhaust, but did see many varieties of birds and enjoyed lots of peace and quiet too. It did get pretty cold and breezy that night, 25 degrees. Again, I stayed warm as toast in the Scamp with a small electric heater running. Here are some pictures from around the park there. I would recommend both parks if you are ever passing through AZ. Until the next trip!
Attached Thumbnails
december_09_027.JPG   december_09_029.JPG  

december_09_031.JPG   december_09_032.JPG  

Chris L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 08:01 PM   #3

Trailer: 2003 Casita Liberty Deluxe
Thanks for sharing the photos and information. We've been wanting to go there for few years and just haven't done it. I remember reading the story in a flight magazine how two guys discovered the caves and tried to keep them to themselves and it didn't work out, thus turning it into a state park. We are definitely going to have to make it out there this spring.

Chris
Chris B is offline   Reply With Quote