KOA 'rules' too much?? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2013, 10:17 AM   #1

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
KOA 'rules' too much??

Who says KOA's 'rules' are too confining???

This one is 'local'/N.W' Washington.

" A photo ID is required for registration. The reservation must be in the
name of the person registering.
Special permission is needed to put a tent on a site with your RV at a fee
of $20 per night plus the per person charge.
No firearms or fireworks of any kind allowed in the campground. Violaters
will be asked to leave the park at once without a refund.
No entry into the campground from 11:00PM to 8:30AM.
No more than 6 persons are allowed on a site including day guest.
DAY GUESTS ARE NOT ALLOWED IN THE PARK UNLESS PRE-REGISTERED. NO EXCEPTIONS
GUESTS UNDER THE AGE OF 6 ARE FREE; CHILDREN 6-18 ARE $4.00 PER DAY; ADULTS
ARE $5.00 PER DAY.
CHECK-IN TIME IS 2:00PM. CHECK-OUT TIME IS 11:00AM"

P.S. ...other than this, it IS a nice park!!
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:25 AM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
This one must be near the border, reason for the photo ID. Some private parks require dog vet statements and all parks require current registration. Different rules for different folks.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:34 AM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Some private parks require dog vet statements and all parks require current registration.
Really. What area where you traveling when you had them ask? In the 10 years I traveled with my dog and stayed at all sorts of private parks in the US and Canada I never was asked for a vet statement or any other paper work for the dog. Even at the places that had *lots* of rules and wouldn't let you stay unless the Motorhome or trailer was less than 10 years old and over 24'.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:59 AM   #4

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
While those do seem like an excessive strict guidelines, we would meet every one of them without a problem. Maybe when the grandkids get older, and if they will still come with us, a tent might be in order.

As far as dogs go, all we ever take (and only when crossing the border) is proof of rabies shots within the last 3 years. This is all that is required, and all our dog gets. We have never been asked for proof of this either, though once was asked if he had these shots, and our affirmation was enough for them.

Going into the US one time, I had a very stern faced border officer look me right in the eye, as he lifted up his hand with a dog biscuit in it, and without even cracking a bit of a smile said "This in not for you, sir", and handed it to me for Jasper. I guess through that stern facade, there actually was a person with a bit of humour there.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:35 AM   #5

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
As far as dogs go, all we ever take (and only when crossing the border) is proof of rabies shots within the last 3 years. This is all that is required, and all our dog gets.
Jim, your correct. There is a far bit of misinformation out there regarding what documents are required for a dog at crossings between US and Canada. The only document that is legally required for a dog is proof of a current rabies vaccination and as you say most vets only use the ones that are good for a least 3 years these days.

The odds of actually being asked for the rabies documentation are very low. The odds of being asked permission to pet your dog or give it a biscuit are being asked its name or who its breeder was are much higher. You actually have a much higher chance though of being asked where you have its food stored and where was it made! Thats a whole different silly situation!
Old 01-25-2013, 11:38 AM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Papers from the Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Really. What area where you traveling when you had them ask? In the 10 years I traveled with my dog and stayed at all sorts of private parks in the US and Canada I never was asked for a vet statement or any other paper work for the dog. Even at the places that had *lots* of rules and wouldn't let you stay unless the Motorhome or trailer was less than 10 years old and over 24'.
My wife is taking our chocolate lab next Tuesday to the Vet to get papers showing that he is vaccinated . Why? Several of the campgrounds we looked at staying on our upcoming trip require a statement from a Vet that he has been vaccinated and specifically state that collar tags are not sufficient. I have a friend whose dog bit a child when he was camping in an out of state park They would not allow the dog to leave the state until my friend produced papers from a Vet showing that he had been examined and inoculated for rabbis.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:09 PM   #7

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
I NEVER stay at KOA's.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:18 PM   #8

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
The only time we stay at a KOA is if it's the only game in town. IMO they're overpriced compared to other parks offering the same facilities.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:15 PM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
My wife is taking our chocolate lab next Tuesday to the Vet to get papers showing that he is vaccinated . Why? Several of the campgrounds we looked at staying on our upcoming trip require a statement from a Vet that he has been vaccinated and specifically state that collar tags are not sufficient. I have a friend whose dog bit a child when he was camping in an out of state park They would not allow the dog to leave the state until my friend produced papers from a Vet showing that he had been examined and inoculated for rabbis.
Steve what area are you heading? Is there one particular campground name/brand that asks for proof of rabies? or is it something common to a particular state? I know most require the dogs to have ID tags and leashed... just havent to date been asked for proof of rabies at a campground.

The situation with your friends dog is pretty typical as to what happens when bits are involved. Not a bad idea to keep a copy of your dogs rabbis vaccination in the glove box of your car in the event its required for what ever the situation. I can see why your friends dog wasnt permitted under such situations to leave the state, in these parts a dog that bites someone wouldnt even be permitted to leave the pound death row, rabbis vaccination or not until a judge rules over its fate.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:31 PM   #10
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont camp grounds used to be real sticklers for rabies certificates but they had so many people show up without it after driving long distances they gave up. The arguments weren't worth it and they need the money. Recently N.Y. has started asking. In fact N.Y. has started asking for a lot of information. Last time we stayed Maggie had to sign 5 pieces of paper.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:42 PM   #11

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 19
California
People and businesses (and some cities) are getting better about dogs, but nonetheless I still carry a folder showing all recent vaccinations, a copy of his license, his microchip number, and a photograph whenever I travel, even in-state. I don't recall if there was an extra dog charge at the last KOA I visited, but they had a heck of a nice fenced dog run! (Manchester, CA). And as far as photo ID... most other places of lodging like hotels and motels are now requiring photo ID. It's the New World Order we live in. That said, I do hate long laundry lists of rules, some of which seem picyune.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:01 PM   #12

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud -1988
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Most rules are designed to address some specific type of violation that has occurred in the past. If they are too restrictive for your lifestyle, don't choose to stay there. I was surprised about the late entry time in the morning (8:30) but I'm guessing they had guests coming in early and causing noise or disruptions for the late sleepers. We never expect guests on our travels, so it's not a problem for us.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:15 PM   #13

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Most cg in New York require a vet statement on their websites as do the border authorities, so I get one every year, the collar tags are not adequate. I have only been asked for them a half dozen times, all on this side of the Mississippi. Plus a lot of cg require your license or car registration at check in to verify the tag info.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:54 PM   #14

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
I NEVER stay at KOA's.
Neither do I...and I'd add that I've never stayed in ANY private Park. Most of my camping is free remote boondocking, though sometimes when I have the Grandkids we'll do State Parks for the kid-company.

But after that...frankly, my philosophy is, if I'm going to have to pay motel rates I'd rather stay in a motel!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:01 PM   #15

Pennsylvania
Registry
Don't let the bed bugs bite you!!!
Old 01-25-2013, 03:29 PM   #16

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Don't let the bed bugs bite you!!!

As if they'd dare...

Anyway, they'd be sorry if they did. I've got strychnine in my veins!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:41 PM   #17

Trailer: Trillium
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Neither do I...and I'd add that I've never stayed in ANY private Park. Most of my camping is free remote boondocking, though sometimes when I have the Grandkids we'll do State Parks for the kid-company.

But after that...frankly, my philosophy is, if I'm going to have to pay motel rates I'd rather stay in a motel!

Francesca
I would never prefer to stay in a motel......In fact, on my way down to Florida last winter, I was travelling on a secondary road (not I75) and waited too late to find a cg which were scarce anyway. So ended up pulling into a motel parking lot. Paid for a room, then spent the night in my camper. I know some would say, 'What!', but I'm a senior lady, travelling alone in an unfamiliar place and I want as safe as a place to sleep as I could manage. Besides, my cat was sleeping in the camper...I didn't want him to get lonely. LOL
Noreen Bradshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:47 PM   #18

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
In fact N.Y. has started asking for a lot of information. Last time we stayed Maggie had to sign 5 pieces of paper.
LOL I guess we on the west coast are a bit more laid back when it comes to dogs.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:09 PM   #19

Registry
Quote:
Most cg in New York require a vet statement on their websites as do the border authorities, so I get one every year, the collar tags are not adequate. I have only been asked for them a half dozen times, all on this side of the Mississippi. Plus a lot of cg require your license or car registration at check in to verify the tag info.
Does NY not allow the 3-4 year version of the rabbis vaccination? You would be hard pressed in my area to find a vet who is willing to give a yearly rabbis vaccination version. As the major vet schools these days recommend the longer term vaccination over the 1 year version. The vets here just give you a Rabbis Certificate stating that its good until such and such a date - 3 or 4 years out and the folks at the border are fine with that.

Been asked a number of times for my license but always assumed they were just making sure the credit card used was not stolen.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:24 PM   #20

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 19
California
I think he was referring to a document that states ALL vaccines are current, not just rabies. That would include leptospirosis, parvovirus, distemper, etc. I get such a statement annually myself, just to be on the safe side. If you take your dog to events where other dogs are present, such as trainings, agility events, dog shows, etc., many times the organizers will require this proof.