Kodachrome Basin State Park in Utah - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camping, Campout Reports
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-12-2019, 08:46 AM   #21

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Does Kodachrome only allow Escapes or something?

I drove by on my trip this spring as I was touring around the area. It is beautiful.

Burr Trail is great. All these places...used to be remote and nearly deserted. Hole in the Rock Road always got some traffic, but it was still easy to find solitude. Now Hole in the Rock is a zoo most times, and Burr Trail used to be where you could go to avoid crowds. Last time I was at the visitor center, I heard the employee telling people "if you want to avoid crowds, go to Burr Trail", so that's not going to last long...

I took a walk down that slot canyon. It is nice. Completely accessible without any scrambling or long hiking. Just a nice short shady walk in a really cool canyon.

There are a lot of great hikes in the area but they require real desert hiking, and as I found last spring, sometimes scaling slickrock walls to avoid dead cows that wedged themselves into slots and couldn't get out...It was called "Little Death Hollow"...
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 10:32 AM   #22

Name: Jan
Trailer: 21' Escape
California
John, if one is to dry camp, do they have water and dump stations available nearby? And, do you travel with your water tank full?
Old 07-13-2019, 11:52 AM   #23

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JansDream View Post
John, if one is to dry camp, do they have water and dump stations available nearby? And, do you travel with your water tank full?
Not John, but the "trick" to dry camping is to have a full or relatively full fresh water tank and empty gray and black water tanks. Now if you are doing it while on the move (different place every night), depending on the size of tanks, you could last a long time without a dump or filling either. Many truck stops have dump stations and google will get you many more. Typically when I start heading home on a long trip, I will fill the fresh tank, empty everything else. My last dump is at home, where I have a simple set up. In some western and midwestern states, there are still dump stations at highway rest areas. Not so common here, although I found one at a GA rest area last year.

https://www.rvdumps.com/dump-stations-by-state/
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 01:26 PM   #24

California
Thank you! I know the weight of our trailer has a full tank of water factored in, but wasn't sure about traveling down the road with, not only that weight, but also a half-full tank sloshing around. I would imagine that the Kodachome campgrounds have dump stations somewhere but thank you, too, for the link.
Old 07-13-2019, 02:38 PM   #25

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by JansDream View Post
yes, KC Basin SP Basin Campground has a double dump station on the road into the campground, with a station for inbound and a station for outbound campers. both fresh and nonpotable water taps at each station, too.

their water was rather chlorinated but quite soft, We'd brought 2 x 5g carboys of purified water with us for drinking, coffee making, so the trailer water is just for wash and flush duties.

I do typically travel with our water tank full, as we often roadside or boondock camp where we got nothing when in transit, and it saves having to find a water source near the camp. My F250 could care less about the extra weight.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 03:42 PM   #26

California
Thanks John. Hopefully, we'll meet one day at one of the rallies.
Old 07-14-2019, 09:07 AM   #27

Nevada
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCJohn View Post
You two inspired me. I just booked the first weekend in October.

Anyone have a (non-Vegas) recommendation for an overnight stay between SoCal and Kodachrome?
I live in Boulder City. There are some BLM camp grounds south of Vegas in the Mojave National Preserve near Kelso, CA. This is between I-15, I-40 and US-95. The roads is are paved but in poor condition. Further north is Cottonwood Cove on Lake Mojave off US-95 near Searchlight, NV. Of course there are a number of nice camp grounds at Lake Meade, National Rec. Area. Boulder Beach Campground is just outside Boulder City off US-93 near the South Entrance.

If you want to go further north, about 3 hours N.E. Of Vegas just west of the Utah border there are 6 beautiful state parks between Caliente and Pioche, NV off of US-93. I have stayed at Cathedral Gorge many times and highly recommend it. They have electric (fee) for trailers and a dump station.
egfasdsdsz is offline   Reply With Quote