Lake Camanche - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2010, 11:48 PM   #1

Name: Todd
California
Lake Camanche

The wife and I busted out to Lake Camanche for 3 nights of camping last week. Our first stay in an RV Spot.

Not sure if all RV hookups are like this so we'd appreciate some feedback on what we found versus using a traditional camp site.

The Good
  • 30 amp hookup plus 2 electrical outlets. This came in handy for our AC window unit which I normally run inside and our batter charger.
  • Our Scamp looked like a 5 gallon bucket next to all the 45 foot RV's and 5th wheels. Who needs a living room and study while camping? It was fun to watch people stare as we pulled in and just moved the trailer around by hand...no leveling jacks or long drawn out process of setup.
The Bad
  • No bathrooms on site and our Scamp doesn't have one. We had to hike a half mile or make a 2 minute drive to do our business a few times a day.
  • The RV sites were very close together. No privacy. Do they just assume you will be inside all the time or that you don't need room for tents? The fire pit and table was literally 10 feet from the door of the scamp.
  • A real lack of vegetation. Very barren though Camanche is not the most green place to begin with
  • On our way home we were excited to stop at the Bass Pro Shop but they don't allow dogs in and we couldn't leave our dog in the car with it being 90 degrees out. We made quick little runs through individually but couldn't blow through tons of cash together. I guess good for our wallet but bad for cool camping gear...
All in all we had a fun time. We bought the scamp to primarily use at camp sites but would love to have power if we can find places that offer the same type of privacy and out of the way feeling. Any thoughts on what places my be good for this are appreciated...
A couple of pics....

Our setup (we had one of the shadiest spots in the site):

The view from our site (pretty nice)
Nor_Cal_Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:01 AM   #2

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
Yes, most are like just what you found. Very stark. No need to have showers or biffys if you got his and hers in the trailer. And, yes, sometimes the only way you know someone is in them is if there is a car sitting next to it or a yipping dog inside. Don't forget the satellite dish. The campground that we have been co-habitating in since May even has seasonal campers. It is much like a trailer park. Plants, signs with their names, yard art, you name it.

Our landlandy in Montana sold RV's. She gave us the tour saving the best for the last. The remote controled fireplace. My husband has lived in smaller apartments then some. I have to say, upgrading to a toilet is nice. Good thing my husband doesn't like small spaces otherwise he'd be in there longer. We also went from a 13' to a 19' because we knew we would be living in it. When my husband first started working in Montana he thought he would just pull our 13' out and live in it. Well, in eastern Montana RV campgrounds where we were at were a gravel lot with electric hookup, no trees and full of 5th wheels with roustabouts living in them all year long. By time the 5th wheel was ready to pick up we were back in Iowa headed for Wisconsin with it.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote