Lake Pleasant Regional Park in AZ - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2016, 11:12 AM   #1

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Lake Pleasant Regional Park in AZ

We just spent a couple of nights at Lake Pleasant Regional Park. Located northwest of Phoenix about 12 miles off I-17, its two campgrounds are part of the Maricopa County park system. All sites have ramadas, tables and fire rings with cooking grates. Most of the restrooms have showers, and they were very clean during our spring break visit when most of the sites were full. Cost is $20/night (no hook-ups) and $30/night (water/electric) plus an $8/stay reservation fee. The lake can get overcrowded with pleasure boaters in the summer months, but it was quiet during our late March visit, when the lake typically reaches peak water level. We were treated to a spectacular full moonrise over the lake and an early morning visit by a wild burro across the cove.

Roadrunner Campground has paved pads with water and electric. It sits on a hill overlooking the lake, so great views, but you have to walk some distance or drive for direct lake access. Mostly larger self-contained RVs in this area, and a bit closer together. We visited the playground (disappointing), but didn't tour the whole area.

Desert Tortoise Campground has some walk-in tent-only sites, some no-hookup tent/RV sites, and some water/electric sites. Parking pads are graveled, and there is a sand pad for a large tent next to the ramada at each site.

Scute Loop, where we stayed in site #120, is located at water level on a quiet cove. There are no hook-ups and, for some reason, the bathrooms lacked showers in this area only. Most of the sites are spacious and close to level, and plenty are right on the water. It's nicely landscaped with native plants: ocotillo, mesquite, and palo verde were all in bloom when we were there. The lake was clean, clear, and not too buggy- bees after the blossoms and occasional swarms of gnats, but no mosquitos while we were there. The girls went swimming during the warmest part of the afternoon. Unless I required hook-ups, this would be my favorite area to camp. Waterfront sites (#116-132) have more shade and are the nicest.

The other loops- Bajada, Den, and Pallet- are located on hills with spectacular long-range views of the lake but limited lake access (except for the circle at the end of Bajada Loop). RV sites in Bajada and Den Loops have electric and water hook-ups, but some require backing up a long, steep, gravel driveway, and some of the parking pads were sloping as well (#134-138 looked like the best of the sites with hookups). Pallet Loop appears to be an afterthought. Restrooms have showers.

There is also a separate overflow area on the lake with a dumpster and several portable toilets but no other amenities. Park wherever you can find a spot.

Sewer is not available, but nearby Pleasant Harbor RV Resort, which I did not visit, offers full hook-ups, swimming pool, etc. The county park has a dump station.

No pictures- I was on a self-imposed fast from electronics…
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 02:28 PM   #2

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
Thanks for posting such great info. I'm printing it off and adding to my Arizona file. We flew out to Phoenix for a gymnastics competition two weeks ago, but I REALLY wanted to drive, take the Scamp and make a 5-6 day trip out of it. Unfortunately we didn't have the time to do that, but we did rent a car and drive out to Saguro NP. It was gorgeous! We love the SW and aside from Utah and northern Arizona (Grand Canyon/Sedona/Flagstaff) we haven't camped much in Arizona or Nevada. Putting this on our list!
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 02:15 AM   #3
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Here's a pic of the view from site 137, about 10 days before Jon was there...
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote