Las Vegas NV to Toutle WA Advice - Fiberglass RV
RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-06-2017, 10:11 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Sue and Henry's Avatar
 
Name: Sue and Greg
Trailer: 1982 Burro 13 foot and a 2015 Casita Spitit Deluxe 17 ft.
Washington
Posts: 591
Registry
Las Vegas NV to Toutle WA Advice

We've dropped Bennie the 82 Burro off at my brother's and are heading to Yucca Valley to pick up our new to us Casita. We plan to head north from there on our return to Toutle WA. First night we want to try for a space in the valley of fire state park. We want to do five hour (or so) days so we can explore a bit after our daily drive. The weather going down I-5 has been cold and rainy/snowy. Not so fun. Any suggestions on the inland route through Nevada?

P.S. Bennie's photo is laying on its side, but you get the idea - his new home is cozy.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Sue and Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 11:45 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Posts: 776
I like coming up 395 and crossing over to I5 via 58 into Eugene. The Sierras and Cascades have been getting a lot of snow, so check the weather and road conditions.

Valley of Fire is a nice park. We stopped there a couple of years ago but didn't get to see much of it because I wasn't feeling well. I'd like to go back.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 12:29 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Sue and Henry's Avatar
 
Name: Sue and Greg
Trailer: 1982 Burro 13 foot and a 2015 Casita Spitit Deluxe 17 ft.
Washington
Posts: 591
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Fish View Post
I like coming up 395 and crossing over to I5 via 58 into Eugene. The Sierras and Cascades have been getting a lot of snow, so check the weather and road conditions.

Valley of Fire is a nice park. We stopped there a couple of years ago but didn't get to see much of it because I wasn't feeling well. I'd like to go back.


Thank for the help Dave!
Sue and Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 07:11 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Posts: 1,497
If you have the time, Death Valley NP is well worth seeing. Also, as Dave Fish said, 395 can have some really nasty weather. This year has had exceptional snowfall.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 08:51 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Sue and Henry's Avatar
 
Name: Sue and Greg
Trailer: 1982 Burro 13 foot and a 2015 Casita Spitit Deluxe 17 ft.
Washington
Posts: 591
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
If you have the time, Death Valley NP is well worth seeing. Also, as Dave Fish said, 395 can have some really nasty weather. This year has had exceptional snowfall.


Thanks Jack. We probably should have waited a month - but I really want to pick up my new baby.
Sue and Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 09:35 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Name: P
Trailer: Casita
Washington
Posts: 268
I have made March trips from AZ back home by cutting over to Barstow and over to Bakersfield and north from there. If the roads are passable and the weather cooperating, you can avoid the Siskiyous by cutting over to 101 and following it up as far as you want to. I enjoy going up the Oregon Coast and there are so many campgrounds that you can stop any time you want this time of the year.

It is slower, but snow should not be a problem unless it is snowing between Astoria and Longview.
slowpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 10:03 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Sue and Henry's Avatar
 
Name: Sue and Greg
Trailer: 1982 Burro 13 foot and a 2015 Casita Spitit Deluxe 17 ft.
Washington
Posts: 591
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
If you have the time, Death Valley NP is well worth seeing. Also, as Dave Fish said, 395 can have some really nasty weather. This year has had exceptional snowfall.
I've done 395 in bad weather and you are so right! I guess I've been looking for the impossible - a lovely strip of sunshine to follow us up an interesting and beautiful route that invites our stopping to admire.
Sue and Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 10:08 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Sue and Henry's Avatar
 
Name: Sue and Greg
Trailer: 1982 Burro 13 foot and a 2015 Casita Spitit Deluxe 17 ft.
Washington
Posts: 591
Registry
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpat View Post
I have made March trips from AZ back home by cutting over to Barstow and over to Bakersfield and north from there. If the roads are passable and the weather cooperating, you can avoid the Siskiyous by cutting over to 101 and following it up as far as you want to. I enjoy going up the Oregon Coast and there are so many campgrounds that you can stop any time you want this time of the year.

It is slower, but snow should not be a problem unless it is snowing between Astoria and Longview.
I do love the Oregon coast and I like the idea of avoiding the siskiyous. Going south today over them and it looks like the roads, at least, are clear. Pulling a new to me rig for the first time back up - the siskiyous might not be my best choice.
Sue and Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 12:16 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Name: L (aka Scout)
Trailer: Scamp
Nevada
Posts: 12
Las Vegas to Reno

Have you considered Hwy 95 north out of Vegas toward Reno & N. NV? It is predominantly high desert in the Great Basin. You will likely see more sun, if you can dodge those Pacific "atmospheric rivers", but temps can still be low this time of year. There is a lovely ghost town in Gold Point, a short side trip off 95 north of Beatty. They have limited hookups. Check their website (goldpointghosttown.com). The rest area north of Tonopah has RV parking area under trees, with picnic tables (free). Walker Lake, North of Hawthorn has several primitive campgrounds along the lakeshore. Hwy 95 goes all the way from Mexico border to Canada border. We have towed our Scamp along approximately three-quarters of it. It can be lovely, lonely, remote, refreshing. Mind your gas gage going through " The Big Empty" (aka Nevada).
LBJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 12:50 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Byron Kinnaman's Avatar
 
Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Posts: 7,053
Registry
I have driven from Las Vegas several time to Oregon. For the fastest and cheapest way is go over the Bakersfield, CA and take I-5 north. Rest areas in all three states are open for overnight stays free.

For a more scenic route go to CA 1 or US 101 and go north. Many places to see and stay. This is probably the best route to avoid snow. However we just drove from north of SF on 101 and there were numerous place the 4 lane road was down to two and a few where there was only one lane open.

We jumped off 101 at Crescent City and headed for Grants Pass, lots of snow but didn't have to chain up.

Going up 395 is problematic. Parts of 395 are closed. Going through Death Valley and out 395 is a b****h. Steep winding road. Reno is cold and snowy now.
__________________
Byron & Anne enjoying the everyday Saturday thing.
Byron Kinnaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 02:36 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Sue and Henry's Avatar
 
Name: Sue and Greg
Trailer: 1982 Burro 13 foot and a 2015 Casita Spitit Deluxe 17 ft.
Washington
Posts: 591
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJohnson View Post
Have you considered Hwy 95 north out of Vegas toward Reno & N. NV? It is predominantly high desert in the Great Basin. You will likely see more sun, if you can dodge those Pacific "atmospheric rivers", but temps can still be low this time of year. There is a lovely ghost town in Gold Point, a short side trip off 95 north of Beatty. They have limited hookups. Check their website (goldpointghosttown.com). The rest area north of Tonopah has RV parking area under trees, with picnic tables (free). Walker Lake, North of Hawthorn has several primitive campgrounds along the lakeshore. Hwy 95 goes all the way from Mexico border to Canada border. We have towed our Scamp along approximately three-quarters of it. It can be lovely, lonely, remote, refreshing. Mind your gas gage going through " The Big Empty" (aka Nevada).


Your ghost town sounds like a good stopping place. We'll check it out at the hotel tonight's! Thank you.
Sue and Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 02:40 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Sue and Henry's Avatar
 
Name: Sue and Greg
Trailer: 1982 Burro 13 foot and a 2015 Casita Spitit Deluxe 17 ft.
Washington
Posts: 591
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
I have driven from Las Vegas several time to Oregon. For the fastest and cheapest way is go over the Bakersfield, CA and take I-5 north. Rest areas in all three states are open for overnight stays free.

For a more scenic route go to CA 1 or US 101 and go north. Many places to see and stay. This is probably the best route to avoid snow. However we just drove from north of SF on 101 and there were numerous place the 4 lane road was down to two and a few where there was only one lane open.

We jumped off 101 at Crescent City and headed for Grants Pass, lots of snow but didn't have to chain up.

Going up 395 is problematic. Parts of 395 are closed. Going through Death Valley and out 395 is a b****h. Steep winding road. Reno is cold and snowy now.


Yes. I heard there were flooding problems requiring repairs along the coastal route. We just did grants pass on our way south. It wasn't too bad - no ice, just some snow flurries. Gusty winds made me a bit nervous in some spots. I'm not familiar with how a 17 foot handles.
Sue and Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 07:37 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Name: P
Trailer: Casita
Washington
Posts: 268
I drove to Northern CA and picked up a 17 foot Casita. Coming down on 101 into Crescent City a storm blew in. I stopped at a grocery store and the wind was blowing so hard that the store doors were not closing. I motored on up the coast to a more sheltered place and stayed the night at Bullard's Bay State Park in Oregon.

In the wind it seems to be my pickup that gets blown, not the trailer behind.

The rest of the trip was up 101 and I crossed over to I-5 at Longview. The only trouble was my ignorance in how to keep the light plug plugged in. The Casita tows very nicely and behaved well on the Sea Lion Caves curves.

Since then, I've made the Oregon Coast trip to CA a couple more times and I really enjoy the Oregon part.

Right now, it seems that the highway is trying to fall into the ocean south of Crescent City.
slowpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 08:57 AM   #14
Junior Member
 
Name: Don
Trailer: boler
Washington
Posts: 5
Consider 95 north of Vegas to 1-15, Winnemucca, Burns Junction and up the east side of Oregon to I-84. We have made this trip several times.Its scenic and you are in the high desert away from the coasal rain. The key to traveling this time of year is to keep tabs on the weather.This route is scenic, several old mining towns a number of places to boondock if you like and no shortage of supplies. Also highway 93 north of Las Vegas is another good way. I can provide details if you like, Don
DrPork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 09:23 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Sue and Henry's Avatar
 
Name: Sue and Greg
Trailer: 1982 Burro 13 foot and a 2015 Casita Spitit Deluxe 17 ft.
Washington
Posts: 591
Registry
[QUOTE=DrPork;630214]Consider 95 north of Vegas to 1-15, Winnemucca, Burns Junction and up the east side of Oregon to I-84. We have made this trip several times.Its scenic and you are in the high desert away from the coasal rain. The key to traveling this time of year is to keep tabs on the weather.This route is scenic, several old mining towns a number of places to boondock if you like and no shortage of supplies. Also highway 93 north of Las Vegas is another good way. I can provide details if you like, Don[/QUOTE

Thank you Don. Two and a half hours until we pick up our casita! Then we head for our first close stop to spread out the maps again. I like the old mining towns idea!
Sue and Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2003 Scamp foresale Las Vegas NV Nick LaMonte Classified Archives 0 07-18-2008 06:09 PM
Pittsburgh to Las vegas and back in 3 months Tom Parker Camping, Campout Reports 5 12-31-2007 03:56 PM
Las Vegas Terrie General Chat 7 04-18-2006 07:35 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.