Lessons Learned by a Newbie - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2021, 05:09 PM   #21

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I gave away the Coleman oven. If I want to warm muffins or whatever I just turn an aluminum cake pan, or similar, upside down and place it, with muffins on top, in my BBQ grill. Set BBQ on low.
Old 08-10-2021, 08:31 AM   #22

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
Hi! from a former ultralite backpacker! We haven't done any real boondocking yet, only camp Cracker Barrel and Camp Walmart. DH and I think your plastic wrap-over plate-deal is fantastic. We're on septic in our stick house, may do a few dry runs here with that. DH pointed out would probably do better with cold, not hot, food. Bob, what was your experience?
I have a 1.5 liter Hawkins pressure cooker. It is somewhat different from typical US pressure cookers. The gasket is atop the lid. The lid goes under the poy rim and then pressed upward and locked in place. There is a safety valve of pot metal that melts at a lower point than disaster temperatures. It works- I have memory problems, and let it boil dry for over an hour once. Since then it doesn't hold pressure. I did order a spare gasket and safety plug but am just not up to fussing with it yet. I do have a new 1.5liter Hawkins in the snoozy in original box- I just haven't reassembled it yet.

Cooking dry beans in a pressure cooker- add a pat of butter with the water. The oil will prevent the bean scum from blocking the vent.

Re Showers- I've been making our own bathpackers showers for years- use Kleenex hand towels.Use 1/2 no-rinse body bath and baby oil. Add some water. Carry in a zip lock. But the towels have recently gotten thinner and more fragile.. I ran across an ad for Venture Body Wipes. Think I'll try them first.
Old 08-10-2021, 09:48 AM   #23

Name: Bob
Trailer: Casita - 2019 SD17
Idaho
Plastic Wrap-Over-Plate experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitzi Agnew-Giles View Post
Hi! from a former ultralite backpacker! We haven't done any real boondocking yet, only camp Cracker Barrel and Camp Walmart. DH and I think your plastic wrap-over plate-deal is fantastic. We're on septic in our stick house, may do a few dry runs here with that. DH pointed out would probably do better with cold, not hot, food. Bob, what was your experience?
Mitzi, my meals were very simple: hamburgers, Boston baked beans, canned vegetables and deli sandwiches. When camping, by the time the food was served, it was not that hot.

Here is a direct quote from the GLAD Press'n Seal box. "Caution: Not for use in conventional or convection oven, stove tops, toaster ovens or browning units. To prevent wrap from melting, foods high in fat (like bacon) or sugar should not come in contact with the plastic wrap in the microwave. When microwaving, turn back one corner of Press'n Seal wrap to vent excess steam. Best when used on clean, dry surfaces."

Based on that caution, I believe that with most foods, one is safe using the wrap on dinner plates. I say that, as all of the cautions deal with ovens and cooking surfaces/areas. I am not an expert here, so I am not making any recommendations one way or the other. I think that the bottom line is common sense. I doubt that food being served on the GLAD Press'n Seal will be too hot, but I could be wrong. It seems like there is always an exception to every rule. The GLAD Press'n Seal worked for me in my situation. It may not be a practice others will wish to utilize. Personally, I see it as a way to considerably reduce the use of water, paper plates, plastic dinner ware, etc.

A friend of mine says he beats the consumption of water by using paper plates. That is an option for sure, but now you have a lot of waste to carry out with you. It too, will end up in the land fill. Granted, the paper will decompose after a several months. However, you may not be totally home free. Many paper plates have a plastic film or coating on them. If there are no fire restrictions, burning those same plates will release toxins in the air from burning the plastic.

In the end, one has to make their own decision as to how their personal values dictate how to best conserve our resources and protect our environment.

With regard to plastics, Australian scientists have the best solution so far to deal with plastic. They have developed a process where ALL plastic is processed and returned to the original state of being oil. This oil can then be used to create new plastic of various kinds or as fuel. The bottom line with regard to plastic, is the technology is there to deal with the problem. Politics, personal agendas, money, and other factors are the road block to making it happen.
Bob Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 11:00 AM   #24

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Good post. It would be hard for me too enjoy a camping trip in that heat without AC. I am glad you did.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 07:19 PM   #25

Name: Peg
Trailer: 2016 -13' Scamp
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Penn View Post
I am well acquainted with the Omnia oven. I became aware of it when I was researching ovens for camping.

I think the main reason I did not opt for the Omnia, is that from what I could see, the Omnia oven is much like a Bundt pan with a lid. I did not like the center opening for a couple of reasons. It limits the space and the size of what you are baking/etc.

That is why I went with the Coleman collapsing/folding oven.

When I saw the post by herons, I was excited, as I felt the West Bend Ovenette was just what I was looking for. It appears to be well designed and quite flexible in its use. Then I was hit with the fact they are no longer manufactured and are "vintage". Now you are paying antique prices for something that seems like it should still be quite popular and therefore still on the market.
Perhaps you will pay vintage price for an Ovenette. However, its versatility and usefulness becomes apparent right at the start. I can't tell you how much money we've saved by being able to create decent meals on-the-go. there are only so many campfire meals and Dutch oven stews that one can enjoy on a long vacation away from home.
herons is offline   Reply With Quote