long Distances - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2010, 05:22 PM   #1

Trailer: Boler 1300 1975
hello folks - I live in Nova Scotia Canada and I am planning on heading west this summer to Alberta . I own a 1975 Boler 1300 in excellent condition - New tires and wheel bearings - I am not to worried but as this is only my second year with my Boler somebody out there I am sure has done long trips - any feed back would be appreciated . thanks
Daniel G.
Daniel G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 05:42 PM   #2

Sorry about this folks but I forgot to mention that the distance from here to there is a little over 5000km ( 3100 miles ) so return would be aprox 10,000 km (6200 miles) .
Attached Thumbnails
The_Rig__at_the_toll_booth.jpg  
Old 06-02-2010, 10:38 PM   #3

Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Ford Ranger
Talking

I'll follow this thread with interest since we're going the other way, from B.C. to the east coast and the down through the states. Don't want to think how many miles.
cheers
Ian
Ian-Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:22 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Talking

We recently completed a 4200 mile trip down I-5 to San Diego, over on I-8 to Tucson/Green Valley, AZ, back west on I-10, up the coast on US1/101 to Eureka, then back home on I-5.
The cheapest camping we had was free and the most expensive was $60/night! We averaged 19.79 mpg, paid a high of $3.29 and a low of $2.65 per gallon for gas.

Any questions, we would be happy to try and answer, (after Taidnapam).

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 01:44 PM   #5

Trailer: Boler 1300 1977 (#2033 L EGGO)
Quote:
hello folks - I live in Nova Scotia Canada and I am planning on heading west this summer to Alberta . I own a 1975 Boler 1300 in excellent condition - New tires and wheel bearings - I am not to worried but as this is only my second year with my Boler somebody out there I am sure has done long trips - any feed back would be appreciated . thanks
Daniel G.
Hi Daniel,

We have owned our '77 Boler for nine years. Entering a wheel bearings repacking in the log book (should be done every 10,000 miles), I just totaled our travels to date at approximately 56,0l6 miles, or 90,145 kilometres, an average of 10,000 km per year. Most of it has been "long distance" throughout the US and Canada, including to the end of the pavement, in Thompson (thence train to Churchill to touch northern salt-water). All that remains for a first-time visit is the Pacific north-west and BC.

We've had nary a problem with "L'EGGO" and hardly notice that she's on behind, except when it's so nice going to bed "at home" each night.

Des & Diane
Des Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 05:33 PM   #6

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
hi daniel....what questions are you most concerned about??? what is it that you are looking for comments concerning? is it the mechanical?? is it about camping--the best/worst/cheapest/most expensive??? is it routes?? i think we all can wade in and offer some answers/opinions/assistance, but for me, it'd be a whole lot easier if i had a bigger hint what you were looking for.....

half the fun is in the dreaming and planning....
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 06:14 PM   #7

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
I am not to worried but as this is only my second year with my Boler somebody out there I am sure has done long trips - any feed back would be appreciated . thanks
Daniel G.
How much time do you intend to take to accomplish this trip?
I am still working, so I have to budget my vacation time off very carefully. In 2005 I made a similar (in length) trek, From San Diego, California to Syracuse, New York... then from Syracuse, New York to Portland, Oregon... then from Portland, Oregon back to our starting point in San Diego, California. A trip totaling 6900 miles all in [b]16 days from start to finish!
Old 06-03-2010, 06:34 PM   #8

Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty Deluxe 17 ft / Honda Odyssey
100 hours of towing - take 10 audio books!
Patrick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 05:57 AM   #9

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Daniel G... Remember "The trip is the destination". Our daily expense seems to be Campsite $20-$40/ Distance 500km./300mi. Gas +/- $50. per day. Groceries don't count as you eat at home too!!! Sounds like you're good to GO!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 09:02 AM   #10

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Daniel G.
When traveling long distance by car we have often driven as much as 1000 miles in one day by leaving early, driving 3-4 hours, then stopping for breakfast. the object in those cases was to get to the destination without delay.

When traveling with a trailer the object is the trip itself!
My advice is to slow down and stop at every whim. On your first day I suggest that you leave later in the day, take your time when loading, and double check the things that you wish to bring along.
This relieves the stress of setting deadlines and the manic behavior associated with rushing.
With the exception of the places you wish to stay for days , or places you have on your "must see" list, don't worry too much about reservations. Reservations add too much structure to your agenda and can cause you to miss some pretty cool stuff. Don't forget you are bringing along your "place to stay",and once inside with the curtains closed it's the same every night!

Don't over pack! You will see different people everyday and they don't care much what you wear,so
dress in comfortable clothing. Take your favorite shoes, take a hat, take a sweat shirt and a light jacket [hopefully rain resistant]
Be sure that you take along a first aid kit, common medications and of course an adequate supply of any prescription needed.

Be sure that your Tow Vehicle is in good shape before leaving home, change the oil, check all fluids, and check the tires and brakes. check all lights. don't forget your favorite music.
Check the trailer tires daily, in the morning, for pressure and damage or wear.
Check the trailer hubs at every fuel stop with a simple touch to be sure they are running cool.
Run a check list EVERY TIME you hook-up to go, for proper connections, lights, raised stabilizers etc.
Pull forward and look at the empty campsite, then do one more "walk around" your rig before proceeding on your way.

Don't worry about taking "everything" you need..... unlike a moon landing , you will find supplies at every Walmart along the way.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 12:20 PM   #11

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 02:48 PM   #12

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
Floyd's advice was great!
One thing I always take on long trips: good quality rain gear. Layered with a sweatshirt or fleece, it not only cuts the wind and rain, but it warms you up on cold windy days. Layering is the key.
One set of extra sheets. An extra blanket for cool summer nights. Two towels per person, one regular, one microfiber.
A log book to record our memories, mileage, etc. along with the camera. The dates and notes help reconcile the gazillion photos we take.

Most things you want, need or forget can be found reasonably at the next big box store.
Plan on laundry every seven to ten days, and pack accordingly, with extra socks for various activities: hiking, walking, cold weather, warm weather.
We look at the sights ahead, and the route. Sometimes travel as few as 20 miles to the next great campsite; Sometimes, through areas we've been before, or uninteresting to us, we will drive six hundred miles. On a really long trip as you have planned, the web (and this forum, particularly) is your friend as you look ahead.
We have only made reservations a few times, usually because we're meeting friends or family. Since our little trailers fit almost anywhere, there's usually that odd, but perhaps hard to back into site between two trees by the beautiful river or lake.
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 03:06 PM   #13

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
Be sure that your Tow Vehicle is in good shape before leaving home, change the oil, check all fluids, and check the tires and brakes. check all lights. don't forget your favorite music.
Check the trailer tires daily, in the morning, for pressure and damage or wear.
Check the trailer hubs at every fuel stop with a simple touch to be sure they are running cool.
Run a check list EVERY TIME you hook-up to go, for proper connections, lights, raised stabilizers etc.
Pull forward and look at the empty campsite, then do one more "walk around" your rig before proceeding on your way.
Good advice from Floyd . . . I'll add just a couple things.

First, making sure your vehicle is in good shape for towing. Last month we put 4000 miles on our Ford Ranger, zig-zagging up and down over hills in what I thought was a reasonably-well-maintained vehicle that is already a veteran of many long-haul camping trips. Alas, all that up-and-down in the Rocky Mountains of Utah and Northern Arizona put more strain on our transmission than it had ever seen before, and the smaller transmission cooler our truck came with could not keep up with the extra heat. Our transmission oild became over-heated, broke down, and started to dissolve the seals gaskets inside our transmission . . . 200 miles from home the transmission light started blinking on and off and our speed and gas mileage plummeted. The repairs cost us $3026 . . . including $200 for the installation of a new, larger transmission cooler.

Other things to check and do:
  • Make time for oil changes every 3000 miles: towing is hard on your engine, too.
  • Make sure your trailer axles have been lubricated.
  • Make sure your engine air filter is clean: $8.00 for a clean air filter from Walmart can improve your gas mileage 10% over a dirty one, saving you lots of money on gas. (An extra 2 mpg when we tow translates to 38 miles more per tank or two gallons of gas saved. The savings over two tanks more than pay for a new air filter.)
  • Check your engine coolant reserve, windshield washer fluid, engine and transmission oil whenever you fill up for gas.
  • Bumping down a highway can cause all sorts of things to shift. Do a walk-around on your trailer each time you hit a rest-stop. I start at the driver's front side tire and walk all the way around the back and up the other side making sure tires are in good shape, touch the trailer axle hubs with one finger to make sure they aren't overly hot, stabilizers and jacks are retracted, the hitch latch and safety chains are in the right spots, trailer electrical connector plugged in tight, and the windows, vents and doors are closed tight.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 04:07 PM   #14

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500 (plus 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks)
Registry
Lots of great advice.

If you are going to find yourself in Ontario on a long weekend, make reservations now.
That's July 1-4, July 40-Aug 2 and Sept 3-6. The parks are filling up now for those dates.
Carol Ann in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 05:12 PM   #15

Hello Folks - thanks for all the comments and suggestion - you have provided what I was looking for I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my questions . something else I do is ocean kayak day trips and overnight camping trips along the eastern seaboard of NS great place check it out . www.coastaladventures.com . So I am used to packing and traveling light - the major difference here will be at bed time I will find myself inside rather than on a beach in a tent ( which has it merits as well when on a coastal island ) .

I do have lots of time to make this trip going the is no rush as I am retired so all that is left now is to rap up my planning and the enjoy the journey .

I do have a log book as well I started a guest log l - although I am not telling you folks anything - people want to see the inside of the unit .
thanks again
cheers Daniel G.
Attached Thumbnails
kayak_and_trailer_.JPG  
Old 06-08-2010, 11:03 AM   #16

Trailer: Boler 1300 1973
Registry
Hi Daniel, how do you like your GV to tow your Boler ? Did you get an auxiliary transmission cooler installed ? Nova Scotia may be my next summer trip, this summer will be Gaspesia.

Regards
Old 06-15-2010, 05:53 PM   #17

Quote:
Hi Daniel, how do you like your GV to tow your Boler ? Did you get an auxiliary transmission cooler installed ? Nova Scotia may be my next summer trip, this summer will be Gaspesia.

Regards
Hello Michel - I have no problem hauling the boler with the GV . I have not got the auxilliary transmission cooler - the weight of the boler is well within the towing specs for the GV. So I am not to concerned about it . The hills of Gaspesia will test it out for you . Do have a great trip that part of Quebec is beautiful .
cheers
Dan
Old 08-02-2010, 05:28 PM   #18

Trailer: 1989 17 ft Bigfoot Deluxe / 2004 Ford Ranger
Hi Daniel
We've just returned from a trip from Peterborough,Ontario to Yellowknife, NWT,towing a 17ft Bigfoot with a Ford Ranger.Round trip was 40 days, and 12,740 km (7913 Mi ) of short days travelling, with some stops at friends, and relatives along the way.The route took us thru Canada only, no travel South of the border this time.
Would be glad to answer any questions you or any readers may have.
Joe
Joseph Olajos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 12:07 PM   #19

Trailer: Boler 1975 13 ft
Registry
A great trip

Hello folks - you will recall I asked for and received lots of good advice about long trips for my 13 foot boler and the pull vehicle a Suzuki Grand Vitara - that was in early spring of 2010 . Well the trip is over I traveled from Enfield Nova Scotia - to Edmonton Alberta 10,200 km return and it was a fantistic trip . We had no major problems at all . After this trip I would not hesitate to take the little boler on the road anywhere . At times you only knew you were towing the trailer when you looked in the rear view mirror or in the evening when you stopped for the day and had a dry place to cook and sleep .

There was a nostalgic moment ,sort of a home comming, as we drove through Earlton Ontario as that is where in 1975 my trailer was built .

Thanks again folks for all your adivise
cheers
Dan
Daniel J Graham is offline   Reply With Quote