Lost Dutchman State Park - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2018, 05:40 PM   #1

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Lost Dutchman State Park

Just back from a spring break getaway to Lost Dutchman State Park. Great weather, full park, awesome hiking, and a fun visit to the Desert Botanical Gardens.

Many people were taking precautions against the pack rats. Thanks to an earlier thread here, I understood the open hoods and led ropes strung out under campers and tow vehicles. I left our hood open at night, but didn't bother with any lights. They didn't bother us.

If anyone likes quirky family-friendly Italian food with a southwestern twist, check out Oregano's when you're in the area. There are several in the Phoenix metro area. Pizza is great, but we love the pastas and the Oregano's original salad. Very reasonable.

Had a small glitch on the way out. The special bolt that is supposed to cinch the bike rack snugly in the rear receiver was stripped out- must have been loose the last time we used it and movement tore up the threads. How to take the girls' bikes?...
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1952.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	325.5 KB
ID:	116783
A heavy First-Up canopy to hold things down, two bungee cords from the handlebars, under the canopy, and across the frame. Short bungees to hold the rear frame together with our water jug as a spacer. Solid as a rock all the way down and back. Better than the rear bike rack. Unfortunately, no room for my bike, so we had to take turns.

Only one other molded trailer in residence, a Bigfoot 21 from California.

Name:	IMG_1959.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	251.5 KB
ID:	116784

Two other interesting rigs, though. All the way from Quebec, my first look at the Alto Safari Condo.

Name:	IMG_1960.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	362.8 KB
ID:	116785

A German-registered camper on a new Ford Ranger diesel chassis.

Name:	IMG_1957.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	202.2 KB
ID:	116786

And us!

Name:	IMG_1961.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	415.2 KB
ID:	116787

Name:	IMG_2452.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	246.2 KB
ID:	116794Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2459.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	291.6 KB
ID:	116793

Name:	IMG_1964.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	344.5 KB
ID:	116788
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 08:31 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Jon, I’m glad everything worked out for you guys, and that you had a good time. Sorry we missed meeting you & your family.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 09:03 PM   #3

Arizona
Registry
Thanks, Dave! Yes, we do need to meet up on a future trip. My wife already has a site picked out for next year, probably around the same time. She calls it "her backyard," which is a big thing for one who was a non-camper five years ago. It really is your backyard, I believe. Lucky you!
Old 03-17-2018, 09:05 PM   #4

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Did you get to see the Alto's interior, by chance? If so, what were your thoughts?
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 09:19 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Thanks, Dave! Yes, we do need to meet up on a future trip. My wife already has a site picked out for next year, probably around the same time. She calls it "her backyard," which is a big thing for one who was a non-camper five years ago. It really is your backyard, I believe. Lucky you!
That would be great. Since we are about 1/2 a mile from the campground, it really is our backyard, and yes we are Blessed to have it.
Dave & Paula
Attached Thumbnails
C0B145F8-BA97-41E7-B8B5-EBFDBE770336.jpg   55728A61-50A7-4C63-AB25-59D5B833062E.jpg  

David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 09:28 PM   #6

Arizona
Registry
No, I didn't, Mike. I was hoping to catch the owners, but it didn't work out. We were busy during the days, so my campground exploration was confined to early morning hours (hence the poor light).
Old 03-18-2018, 09:53 AM   #7

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
Did you find the Lost Dutchman Mine and the treasure within?

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 10:00 AM   #8

Arizona
Registry
The treasure is the mountains themselves. The changing light turns them into precious jewels, different every time you look. I find new treasure each time I return.

In my younger days I used to backpack deep into these mountains, but now I am satisfied to take short day hikes and return to the comfort of the Scamp.
Old 03-18-2018, 07:40 PM   #9

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Safari Condos are interesting. I believe the black crescent shaped "bird beak" is the unit in its roof up position. It is 18" taller in that position. When lowered, the unit resembles a traditional teardrop.

The company claims the unit functions in the lowered position.

https://safaricondo.com/en/caravanes-alto/
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 08:00 PM   #10

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
I looked at the R Series retractable roof Alto at the LBL trailer rally last fall. Spacious with LOT'S of widows. More than I would care for. Little to no tint in the windows made me wonder about temperature control however the owners said that was not an issue. I did not care for the bathroom arrangement at all.

Other than the windows and the bathroom this Alto looked to be a very well made unit. The owners were very happy with their purchase.

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 08:20 PM   #11

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Thanks, Mike and Jon.

I will always have fond memories of the Siphon Draw Trail. It was where I took my last hike with my dad (in 1988) before he passed from cancer. My 8 year old son was along for that hike. We made it roughly halfway up the draw. I was able to return alone in 2004 and take the same hike, and got a little farther up. It is beautiful there.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 09:31 PM   #12

Arizona
Registry
Great memories, Mike. I hope my girls will remember hiking that trail as a family. About halfway for us, too, lunch, and back down. My knees aren't what they used to be.

The Peralta trail was my favorite access into the central basin of the Superstitions when backpacking. Day hikers generally turn around at the saddle. Beyond that you often have the place to yourself, with Weaver's Needle always in sight.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:41 AM   #13

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
[QUOTE=Jon in AZ;688263] I hope my girls will remember hiking that trail as a family. QUOTE]

I'm sure they will Jon, my girls tell me of many things we did together that stand out to them. Bet you'll be surprised to hear their memories 20 years from now. Some will be fleeting to you but huge to them and bowl you over for the simplicity of it .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 07:32 AM   #14

Name: Ross
Trailer: Trillium 4500
Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 72 View Post
Safari Condos are interesting. I believe the black crescent shaped "bird beak" is the unit in its roof up position. It is 18" taller in that position. When lowered, the unit resembles a traditional teardrop.

The company claims the unit functions in the lowered position.

https://safaricondo.com/en/caravanes-alto/

18 months on the waiting list , to get one. Base price around 35k cdn. They are expanding the company to make three times as many. Got tied of waiting so bought a used trillium.
Seaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 08:20 AM   #15

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Cute bugs, Jon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Did you get to see the Alto's interior, by chance? If so, what were your thoughts?
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
I looked at the R Series retractable roof Alto at the LBL trailer rally last fall. Spacious with LOT'S of widows. More than I would care for. Little to no tint in the windows made me wonder about temperature control however the owners said that was not an issue. I did not care for the bathroom arrangement at all.

Other than the windows and the bathroom this Alto looked to be a very well made unit. The owners were very happy with their purchase.
I have been in one and have similar finding. The first thing you notice is the amount of window, which I did like. However, this is window are takes the place of cabinets for storage, which this trailer seems to lack. For the most part things seemed to be well built. One other concern for me camping a lot in the great white north, is that it was very poorly insulated, no better than my tent trailer was, and would be hard to keep warm if you wanted.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 08:52 AM   #16

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Cute bugs, Jon.
I'm fond of my bugs.

The top "bug" took the butterfly photos in the butterfly exhibit. She has a great sense of color and composition.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:47 AM   #17

Name: Ace
Trailer: 16' Casita 13' Scamp and Teardrop
Chicagoland
I didn't realize that the park had off asphalt camping.
aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 09:54 AM   #18

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceman View Post
I didn't realize that the park had off asphalt camping.
It doesn't (except for tents, of course). Wheeled vehicles stay on pavement. Might be the early morning light or the camera angle that makes it look otherwise. The asphalt in the older loops is well-weathered and gravelly.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:38 AM   #19

Name: Ace
Trailer: 16' Casita 13' Scamp and Teardrop
Chicagoland
Thanks Jon.
I was only in the group camping area and it looked quite different. I will look into the area you were in. Looks much better.
aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 10:54 AM   #20

Arizona
Registry
Ace, we like the oldest loop (sites #1-15; #1-8 are the best). No through traffic, mature vegetation, clear views of the mountains, decent shade. No hook-ups in this section, and they won't fit larger rigs. Perfect! Next best is #33-40 and #59-67.

If you want full sun in cooler weather, the new area (#106-134) has the best sunrise and sunset views, but a long hike to the bathhouses and not a lot of vegetation or privacy.

The group camping area is used as overflow when not reserved. Basically a parking lot with shared picnic tables and space to set up tents. It was packed when we were there. The photo of the Ranger-based camper was taken in the overflow/group area.