Lost Dutchman State Park, Arizona - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camping, Campout Reports
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-28-2011, 09:24 AM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Lost Dutchman State Park, Arizona

I was finally able to get a campsite at Lost Dutchman State Park in Apache Junction, AZ last weekend (May 21, 2011). They have added some electrical and water hookup to many of their campsites in recent history. The sites are good sized and great views of the Superstition Mountains too. The price there is $25 a night with hookups, or $15 without. The restrooms and showers were also nice and clean too. The hiking is great there with several trails of various difficulty. I chose to hike the Siphon Draw and then to continue up to the top of the Flat Iron. The view from the top is 360 degree and one can see into Phoenix and the surrounding area. It certainly was a difficult climb of smooth rock, lots of large rocks and gravel, and STEEP! There is an elevation change of over 2,000 feet, with the elevation at the top of 4,861. It is a six mile roundrtip hike from the campground and took me about six hours including water/rest stops and several snacks plus some time at the top. The little black flies were terrible on most of the hike. They don't bite, but would get into ones eye, nose, and ears (and of course I left my bug spay in the camper). Anyway, if anyone gets the opportunity, it is a great place to stay and hike. A coveat though, it is a snowbird paradise in winter and campsites are DIFFICULT if not impossible to get. The rangers had said that they may be going to a reservation system in the future. Here are some pictures of my adventure...enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
Lost Dutchman Park 002.JPG   Lost Dutchman Park 004.JPG  

Lost Dutchman Park 013.JPG   Lost Dutchman Park 020.JPG  

Lost Dutchman Park 021.JPG   Lost Dutchman Park 025.JPG  

Lost Dutchman Park 027.JPG   Lost Dutchman Park 028.JPG  

Lost Dutchman Park 030.JPG   Lost Dutchman Park 033.JPG  

Chris L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 09:26 AM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Registry
And here are some sunset pictures from that campout....gotta love our Arizona sunsets!
Attached Thumbnails
Lost Dutchman Park 037.JPG   Lost Dutchman Park 039.JPG  

Lost Dutchman Park 040.JPG  
Chris L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 01:11 PM   #3

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Sorry it took you so long to get there, and I know you'll want to go back! I have fond memories of hiking up the Siphon Draw Trail in 1987 with my (about 70 year old) father and my 6 year old son. Made it back in 2005 and hiked it again alone, remembering Dad who passed away in '94 at his new home in Gold Canyon.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 01:34 PM   #4

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Made me think of a campground out in the boonies near Congress, AZ inhabited mostly by miners called the Lost Dutchman. It's near an Escapee park we stay at in Congress surrounded by dirt roads. Love it out there.

Norm
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 06:49 AM   #5

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
I used to live within a few miles of Lost Dutchman Park and would go there just to hang out and do some hiking, geocaching and solitude.....That Superstition Mt is one of the most beautiful i've seen..... while you where there you should have taken the 24 mile "Apache Trail" out to "Roosevelt Lake" I guarantee you won't forget that ride.... stop at "Tortilla Flats" on the way.
Beautiful Area..........
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote