Maiden Voyage in Restored 86 Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2006, 08:29 PM   #1

Trailer: X-treme Lite 160
We just returned from ours first every camping trip and the first for our restored 1986 13' Scamp. Everything was great! The mountains of N.C. are great. I can't believe there is such beauty only 90 minutes away from my home. We will be in Boone N.C. over Memorial Day. We can't wait!

Gary, Kelly and Teara(7yr Yorkie)
Attached Thumbnails
Lake_Lure_4.JPG   Lake_Lure_5.JPG  

Gary Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 11:50 PM   #2

Trailer: 73 Surfside 14 / '05 Magnum RT AWD
Glad to hear everything went well with your first trip.

90 miles away? I thought all of NC was beautiful?

Happy camping.
Jana J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 09:47 AM   #3

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft (was 2003 16 ft Scamp)
Registry
Gary
Just a few weeks ago, we stayed at Flintlock campground in Boone (toward Valle Crucis). Nice campground if you want to be close to Boone and Blowing Rock (one o my wife's favorite shopping places). Best campsite is next to the creek up behind the showerhouse. I think's it's #23. Don't miss Mast General store in Valle Crucis. Dalton Park on the parkway is real nice but no hookups or showers. Rent a canoe on the lake for $3.00. Rhodedendron/Mt Laurel ought to be blooming.
Neat place.
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 08:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Gary
Just a few weeks ago, we stayed at Flintlock campground in Boone (toward Valle Crucis). Nice campground if you want to be close to Boone and Blowing Rock (one o my wife's favorite shopping places). Best campsite is next to the creek up behind the showerhouse. I think's it's #23. Don't miss Mast General store in Valle Crucis. Dalton Park on the parkway is real nice but no hookups or showers. Rent a canoe on the lake for $3.00. Rhodedendron/Mt Laurel ought to be blooming.
Neat place.
Thanks Chris,
We are actually staying 4 miles before you get to Flintlock. It is called Honey Bear Campground. It is also off Hwy 105. turn left onto Popular Grove rd. Campground is on the left. Are you familiar with it?

Gary
Old 05-19-2006, 06:30 AM   #5

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft (was 2003 16 ft Scamp)
Registry
Quote:
Thanks Chris,
We are actually staying 4 miles before you get to Flintlock. It is called Honey Bear Campground. It is also off Hwy 105. turn left onto Popular Grove rd. Campground is on the left. Are you familiar with it?

Gary
I saw and read about it but never made it there. Let me know what you think of it if you get a chance since we are down in that area every now and then. We did like Flintlock.
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 10:33 PM   #6

Quote:
I saw and read about it but never made it there. Let me know what you think of it if you get a chance since we are down in that area every now and then. We did like Flintlock.
Chris,
Just returned from Honey Bear Campground in Boone. It Is very Nice. A little higher rates than some but the beauty of the sites are worth it. The bath house needs some work but it is as good as Flintlocks. I wasn't very impresses with Flintlock's sites. I agree that #23 is probably the best site but no cable. We visited it on our way out. I thought the sites at Flintlock were way to close. The stream that runs through Honey Bear is really nice. The owners don't put up with any crap either. So you can be assured that your stay will be a peaceful one.

Thanks,
Gary
Old 05-29-2006, 08:38 AM   #7

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
My wife and I used to drive up to Lake Lure a lot. But we haven't been up there in years. Soon there will be a new state park there...it's going to be called Hickory Nut Gorge State Park and will be situated on the side of the gorge opposite Chimney Rock. It will protect most of Rumbling Bald Mountain (the huge mountain with big cliffs that rises above the lake). At some point the park will have a campground, but thus far it's all in the planning stages. I suspect that it will be years before there is an operating state park there.

<div align="center"></div>
<div align="center">My son, when he was just a tyke, on Lake Lure. Rumbling Bald Mountain behind him. The peak will be protected in the new Hickory Nut Gorge State Park</div>
BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 07:34 PM   #8

Thanks Bob,
That will be nice. Thanks for the info. What do you tow your Casita with?
are you going to the NC Fiberglass rally at Four Paws in a few weeks?

Gary
Old 06-02-2006, 02:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Thanks Bob,
That will be nice. Thanks for the info. What do you tow your Casita with?
are you going to the NC Fiberglass rally at Four Paws in a few weeks?

Gary
I tow my Casita with a 6-cylinder 1999 Nissan Frontier.

I didn't even know there was going to be a NC Fiberglass rally! Where is Four Paws?
Old 06-03-2006, 05:57 PM   #10

Quote:
I tow my Casita with a 6-cylinder 1999 Nissan Frontier.

I didn't even know there was going to be a NC Fiberglass rally! Where is Four Paws?
Is your Casita a 16' or 17'? The rally was mentioned in the "Rally and gathering" link on this forum. Go to 4Pawskingdom.com for the campground info. It is a neat place if you have dogs. The bath house is very,very nice.

Sorry Bob,
From reading other parts of this forum and your comments, I don't think you would fit in at Four Paws Kingdom. However, I will say that this was the quietest campground . You could have heard a pin drop at night. And cleanliness of the campground bath house and grounds were unbelieveable.

Thanks,
Gary
Old 06-03-2006, 07:46 PM   #11

17 foot Casita Freedom Deluxe.

Yeah, I'm not a dog fan. I don't hate them or anything, but after you've been bitten three times by "my dog won't bite" critters. Well, it gives you a new outlook on them.

Tags
scamp