Maiden Voyage questions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2022, 07:21 PM   #1

Name: Bob
Trailer: in the market
CA
Maiden Voyage questions

Newbies here - picking up a new SD the last week of May. Suggestions for camping with hookups south of Rice an hour or. so to test everything? Planning that for 2 nights then heading to San Antonio relatives for a few days. Then on to Carlsbad Caverns. Thinking of using Highway 90 and spending a few days getting to Carlsbad. There are some interesting State Parks and so on along the way, plus I like the idea of avoiding the interstate for our maiden voyage. Who has done a similar thing and what do you suggest? Also, what about camping near Carlsbad? Who has done the RV camp at Guadalupe Mts? Where else did you like? After that we head west to San Diego - any other stops or ideas about that part of the trip are welcome. Thanks in advance!
bobwadeguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 09:13 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Gilbert Ray Campground near Tucson, Arizona is a nice county park with hookups available on your way west. Nearby attractions include the Sonoran Desert Museum, Saguaro National Park, Kitt Peak National Observatory, and the Old Tucson Studios. Tuscon will be getting pretty hot by the end of May.

Chiricahua National Monument also has a small no-hookups campground. Haven't been there but heard it's nice. It will be cooler than Tucson.

Kartchner Caverns State Park is another option. Tours of the caverns have to be booked pretty far in advance. There is a campground there as well.

All are close to the I-10/I-8 corridor to San Diego.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 06:02 AM   #3

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
It's a nice drive along Hwy 90. We've done it a bunch en route to Big Bend and points west. State parks like Seminole Canyon and Ft Davis might be your best choices. It will be hot and you'll want electric for the A/C. The RV campground at Guadalupe Mtns is a parking lot. No hookups but an interesting park. Great scenery and some good hikes. There is some elevation so it might not be too hot in May. IIRC there are no public campgrounds near Carlsbad but maybe a commercial one at Whites City? Chiricahua really is unique and worth a visit, though again no hookups. Have a great trip!
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 08:53 AM   #4

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
After picking up my Casita at the factory, I stayed here. It's just a little south of the Casita factory, and not far should you need to go back for any repairs, etc. during your initial shake-down after picking it up.

https://americanrvparkcorsicana.com/
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 10:45 AM   #5

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Scamp 19
Washington
I've done the trip along the southern border in October so what I looked for in a park may differ from what you will want in May. AC/hookups weren't important to me in the fall. I also like to limit the amount of time on interstate highways.

There is an RV park in Whites City that has hookups. It is near restaurants, laundromats and the park entrance. I was not impressed and did not stay there. five miles west is a blm camp called sunset reef. rv sites have a covered concrete pad, fire ring and grill. no water or hookups. the outhouse was very clean and there is a dumpster. If sites are full there is enough space to park anywhere on the perimeter. It is fcfs and free. Water is available at picnic area at rattlesnake spring about a mile away. Carlsbad Caverns are incredible. If you are able to get on the Kings Palace tour it is well worth it. If not, the self-guided tour is great. We managed to do both. Hopefully the bats will be back in May as it is fun watching them fly out at night.

Guadalupe rv camp feels like an overnight at walmart except the scenery is much better. It is a paved parking lot with lines to delineate campsites. there is limited water available in the bathrooms. A lot of nice hiking trails start from the campground. It is only about 30 miles from sunset reef. If I were to do it again, I would stay there and explore Guadalupe.

Following 9 across the southern border you will come to Columbus NM. Pancho Villa SP is one of my favorites. It is on the site of camp furlong. It has hookups, showers and a nice museum about Pancho Villas raid. New Mexico parks are a bargain. Only $14 for utilities and the park is very clean and well maintained. The town also has a nice museum across the street. Not much in town to see. They have a nice library (which loans DVDs) and an old hotel with an art gallery. It is 3 miles from here to the border. You can park at the border and walk into Palomas to have lunch at the pink store and explore shops in town.

Chiricahua is one of my favorite parks. It is a small campground with no hookups but some of the best hiking trails IMHO. The campground will test your backing skills. It is worth a visit. Nearby is Fort Bowie which is interesting for history buffs.

Kartchner caves has hookups and showers. The cave tour is really nice. This park is very popular so book well in advance if you can. Nearby is Fort Huachuca. It is an active military base and has several interesting museums and one about the buffalo soldiers that were stationed there.

Organ Pipe Cactus National monument between Yuma and Nogales is another nice campground. No hookups but they have water, showers and a dump site. Stock up before you get there as there are no places to resupply. There are some nice hikes in the area and the varieties of cacti are impressive.

I'm sure I've missed a lot of nice places, so I am always willing to return there.

Wayne
Wayne53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita