Mills canyon and rim campgrounds - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2019, 05:15 PM   #1

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
Pennsylvania
Mills canyon and rim campgrounds

In northeastern New Mexico on the Kiowa National Grassland there are two campgrounds, one on the rim and one down in the canyon. The signs say don’t tow a camper down into the canyon but I just watched a utube video of someone towing a small utility type trailor Down to the canyon campground and the road seemed doable. Has anyone towed a trailer down to the newly renovated canyon campground?
Steve
starbrightsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 06:23 PM   #2

Name: maggie
Trailer: looking for a fiberglass 16/17' camper ..a bit older!
NEW MEXICO
steve..keep this canyon secret please! a really rough road down there..good for tent campers for sure. beautiful place. i wouldn't trailer down there unless they have fixed the road recently.
maggietowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 06:29 PM   #3

Pennsylvania
Mills canyon

Maggie , thanks for your response. Most folks like to go places where there is a water park and plugins and Shopping. I suspect few will lookup mills campgrounds. Isn’t that nice.
Steve
Old 02-06-2019, 06:47 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Nobody has discussed coming back up.
Old 02-06-2019, 11:08 PM   #5

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
I just watched this video, it may be the one you are referring to:

It sure is a beautiful place. If they renovated the campground, they must have used the road a lot, so it could not be too bad. I hope somebody here knows more.

On edit: How does the road compare to the one leading to Chaco Canyon?
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 10:00 AM   #6

Pennsylvania
Neon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Nobody has discussed coming back up.
No worries about getting back up. My tug is a modified Neon for pulling the 5.0ta
Old 02-07-2019, 10:23 AM   #7

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggietowne View Post
steve..keep this canyon secret please! a really rough road down there..good for tent campers for sure. beautiful place. i wouldn't trailer down there unless they have fixed the road recently.
I feel your pain.

Never underestimate the sheer numbers of people eventually overwhelming these areas. Some people prefer waterparks, but there are so many people in the world today, if even 0.1% are the type who will trailer camp within striking distance of places like this, in a "nicer" campground, that's hundreds of thousands of people tearing up & down roads across the country in their fancy UTVs. It's practically ruined most of southern Utah for me in the past decade.

"Coming soon to your favorite, secluded outdoor space"

Not the OPs fault anymore than it's any of our faults if we've ever told anyone about a special place, and sorry to seem like you're getting crap for asking a simple question. It's just the way things are with our population and interconnected world. But it's also sad to watch.

It continues to amaze me how threads with titles like "tell me your favorite secret fishing spots" will actually get responses...

People my age (40-ish) and older in the western United States are living to see all secluded, natural spaces become overcrowded. It's a real thing. For people currently growing up with all the outdoors feeling like an overcrowded national park, this is probably no big deal. But for people old enough to remember solitude, it's disappointing.

Anyway. If you go, I hope it's great! Sorry the topic brought out some strong feelings; it was an innocent enough question
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 10:37 AM   #8

Pennsylvania
Canyon

ZachO, you are correct. I should not have even posted on this place. I should just go there and explore on my own.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:54 AM   #9

Montana
No, I don't know if that was my point. It was more a rant than any direct response to your post. I'm finding more and more, I'm a very optimistic person when it comes to my life and what I work on. But I'm pretty pessimistic about the future, near and far term, of our society.

Every generation sees major change in their lives, but I really do think we're seeing in our time all the places that used to offer isolation ruined by the information age and sheer number of living people.

Do what you want to do, my rant's got very little to do with you
Old 02-07-2019, 12:36 PM   #10

Name: Orduck
Trailer: casita
New Mexico
The road into the canyon varies and ice can remain in shaded areas long after it has melted in the high altitude sun. It is wise to drop the trailer at the rim and check out the road before going down. Cars have slid off that road. There are few places to turn back. This is a fine dark-sky site. We were just nearby at Clayton Lake State Park (also dark) last week and one night we were the ONLY campers there. Not many visitors out on the prairie. Lynn
Orduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 06:18 PM   #11

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
I just watched this video, it may be the one you are referring to:

It sure is a beautiful place. If they renovated the campground, they must have used the road a lot, so it could not be too bad. I hope somebody here knows more.

On edit: How does the road compare to the one leading to Chaco Canyon?
e had same or close to same Tent on top of our 1978 Toyota Wagon, my wife and I did a lot of Traveling back then. Once when I was visiting a friend in Briscoe, TX (school teacher there) he needed Groceries so he took me up and showed me the Canadian river and told me before the dam's went in the river would flood a mile wide and everything under the Sun came down with it, also said this was Bonnie and Clyde's Back yard. We drove on to a town called Canadian where we got a light breakfast, groceries etc. and headed back to Briscoe. I often wonder we ended up, I'm pretty sure he must be retired by now.
Peter
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 08:32 PM   #12

British Columbia
Bad Road looks pretty good.

We would drive our 30' Class A towing a 2010 Suzuki G.V. over it. this past summer we took them over the top of the world Highway from Dawson City, YK to Poker Creek, USA now that is a gravel road all the way except when you leave Poker Creeek, population 3 you get 11 miles of real nice asphalt then your back on gravel and moving perma frost road all the way from the end of the nice black top to Chicken then Tok, AK Basically when your on the Yukon part of the road your driving the mountain tops and it was a long, long way down to the bottom, this is a road I would not want to have problems on as no Cel phone power in here or all the way until Tok. What one needs here is a Satelight Phone. I would be nice to spend the night up there as no lights so the stars would really stand out. Would be my luck to get someone with a MH loaded with lights to spoil my night.
Peter
Old 02-08-2019, 09:01 AM   #13

Montana
Finally watched the video...a couple comments. Something about people in an H2, pulling a trailer past a "trailers not recommended" sign and with no further investigation saying "oh they aren't talking about us, our trailer was meant for this"...Sort of like people taking a jeep down a hiking trail in the wilderness because "jeeps were built for that".

Anyway. The reason roads have that sign is tight switchback turns which a lot of trailers can't make, not because trailers aren't "hardcore" enough for a rough dirt road.

I've been down countless extremely rough dirt roads a trailer could not make it down. No sign. The reason you see a sign like that is because you're on a road that is otherwise completely suitable for a trailer, except that you're about to hit tight switchbacks which your trailer might not be able to make. So...yeah, you do what Steve did and ask people questions! Or scout the road on foot.
Old 02-08-2019, 07:01 PM   #14

British Columbia
Drive down #1 on the west Coast

in a 54' bus converted to a Motor Home, this hwy is paved all the way up to Bellingham or through CA to #5 and it has a lot of tight Switchbacks where we had to back up to get around them or carve them so the next guy could make it.
Stude