Missouri Ozarks camping - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2016, 10:42 AM   #1

Name: Mark
Trailer: currently shopping
Missouri
Missouri Ozarks camping

I will post my annual public service announcement for anyone passing thru Missouri this fall or winter en route to cross county destinations. Do yourself a favor and plan a couple days camping along one of the numerous southern Missouri streams. The Current River, Jacks's Fork River, and Eleven Point River are all part of the Ozark National Scenic Riverways with miles and miles of federally protected streams and riverbanks in their natural pristine condition - meaning no private ownership of the streams, banks, gravel bars, or accesses. You will find the full spectrum of camping opportunities from fully developed with electric/water/restrooms/showers park-like facilities ($10-20 per night) to primitive accesses where you can just pull up on the riverbank and camp out of your vehicle for free. Temperatures in southern Missouri normally do not get below freezing at night until around Thanksgiving, and Missouri is one of the dwindling places where you can still build a campfire just about anywhere you want, unless a fire ban is in place on extremely dry conditions. You can find numerous accesses and campgrounds on any decent map, and after Labor Day weekend, you will have the campgrounds mostly to yourself. Canoe rental places are abundant and relatively cheap, and all streams hold good fishing, including trout in the Eleven Point and upper Current River. Good chances to see abundance of wildlife and experience solitude on your own personal gravel bar - nothing better!!!!.
IF interested and passing thru Missouri, give me a holler and I'll turn you on to some great places to camp with whatever your needs may be.
Mark
Missouri Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 01:37 PM   #2

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17SD
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Mark View Post
I will post my annual public service announcement for anyone passing thru Missouri this fall or winter en route to cross county destinations. Do yourself a favor and plan a couple days camping along one of the numerous southern Missouri streams. The Current River, Jacks's Fork River, and Eleven Point River are all part of the Ozark National Scenic Riverways with miles and miles of federally protected streams and riverbanks in their natural pristine condition - meaning no private ownership of the streams, banks, gravel bars, or accesses. You will find the full spectrum of camping opportunities from fully developed with electric/water/restrooms/showers park-like facilities ($10-20 per night) to primitive accesses where you can just pull up on the riverbank and camp out of your vehicle for free. Temperatures in southern Missouri normally do not get below freezing at night until around Thanksgiving, and Missouri is one of the dwindling places where you can still build a campfire just about anywhere you want, unless a fire ban is in place on extremely dry conditions. You can find numerous accesses and campgrounds on any decent map, and after Labor Day weekend, you will have the campgrounds mostly to yourself. Canoe rental places are abundant and relatively cheap, and all streams hold good fishing, including trout in the Eleven Point and upper Current River. Good chances to see abundance of wildlife and experience solitude on your own personal gravel bar - nothing better!!!!.
IF interested and passing thru Missouri, give me a holler and I'll turn you on to some great places to camp with whatever your needs may be.
Mark
Hi Mark, may be passing through the area next year (Sept or Oct.) on way to or from an upcoming trip to Arizona. We own some property off Table Rock Lake near Hollister that we haven't seen for a few years. Would like to get some recommendations if possible. Thanks!
DeBreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 06:15 PM   #3

Missouri
By all means. Sept/Oct is great time to visit with normally no need for AC during day or heat at night, and trees starting to turn colors, and practically no one on the rivers or campgrounds, so great time for some off grid time. However, if you do prefer electric sites, there are some developed campground, too. I do believe most will shut off water spigets by the end of Oct. A couple that come to mind that are very nice Alley Springs and Round Springs near Eminence, and Big Springs near Van Buren. A beautiful 1/2 day drive - from Eminence head north and follow the road overlooking the Jacks Fork River valley - the Jacks Fork run thru a 25 mile canyon - some of the most beautiful scenery in Missouri. You might even come across the wild horses that roam the area. Send me a PM with your parameters you like for camping.
Old 08-25-2016, 11:51 AM   #4

Name: Linda
Trailer: inTech
Kansas
the Missouri Ozark area is my favorite place in the country for many reasons. it has a very accessible and welcoming feeling that can be missing in more extreme or harsh places. my best advice is to avoid Branson, unless you're into crowds and noise. Mark's suggestion of Eminence and the Alley Spring campground is just what i would say tops the list of places to go. Bennet Spring is also very pleasant in nearly all seasons! there are many state parks and forest service campgrounds available, too. remember: Missouri's Department of Conservation is the best in the country. It shows!
lrb945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 05:31 PM   #5

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Quote:
A beautiful 1/2 day drive - from Eminence head north and follow the road overlooking the Jacks Fork River valley - the Jacks Fork run thru a 25 mile canyon - some of the most beautiful scenery in Missouri. You might even come across the wild horses that roam the area. Send me a PM with your parameters you like for camping.
Is that the county road 19-203, heading NE off Hwy 19? I'm looking at a google map.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 09:22 PM   #6

Missouri
Yep, that's it. Very nice developed campground. Old grist mill has been restored. Store close by and only a few miles out of Eminence. The drive on 106 is spectacular.
A good day trip is to make a loop on 106, then to hwy 19 at Winona, and north back to Eminence. Get a map of the Jacks Fork and check out the accesses. Same with the Current River near Eminence. Round Springs (also a developed CG) and Blue Springs are worth seeing.
Depending on the size of your trailer, and if you are interested in more primitive camping w/o electric or water, but right on the riverbank, there are accesses where you can get right on the river gravel bars all by yourself especially anytime but summer. Rhymers access on the Jacks Fork and Logyard access on the Current come to mind.
I spend a lot of time on the Eleven Point River, about 20 miles south of Winona on Hwy 19 near Alton, MO. Greer CG on hwy 19 is semi developed but electric stations were vandalized for copper and don't believe they were ever replaced. Greer Springs, second largest spring in MO to Big Springs 5 miles from Van Buren (very nice developed CG), both are awesome. Off grid camping with small trailer right on the Eleven Point can be found at Turner Mill South access and Whitten access (trout water!).
Just about any access on any of the three rivers are OK to camp at. If in doubt, ask any of the canoe rental places and they are for the most part helpful and friendly. Highly recommend a float trip. Again canoe places will put you on whatever length or difficulty of water you wish. Current River is the easiest floating for novice. Jacks Fork and Eleven Point are totally primitive thru the hills and forest and absolutely beautiful, but you need to be able to handle a canoe on both.
You won't be disappointed with any of the options on camping.
Old 09-14-2016, 06:13 PM   #7

Name: john
Trailer: Compact Junior
Michigan
Those are fine rivers......

The little town of Eminence, Missouri is a great HQ for canoeing several streams. I've paddled all the rivers mentioned and would add two more, the Spring and Buffalo rivers in neighboring Arkansas.

I've visited Branson twice. First time I was on my own. Traffic was a nightmare in the summer. No fun at all, long lines at entertainment venues too.

Second visit was an off season tour group. Difference of night and day. Bus driver dealt with traffic and tour participants got preferential treatment and seating.

Lots of great shows to see.
john madill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:34 AM   #8

Missouri
Bumping back to the top for anyone passing thru Missouri. So many public and private campgrounds were devastated by record floods in the spring but the area is recovering nicely. Again, spring and fall are ideal for boondocking with fair weather so no need for AC or heat, as well as several developed CGs if so inclined. The Current, Jacks Fork, and Eleven Point rivers make up the Ozark National Scenic Riverways located in the Mark Twain National Forest, and are some of the most beautiful, primitive rivers you will find anywhere. With schools back in session, you won't have any trouble finding a CG practically to yourself. And local businesses took a beating from the flooding damage and half a summer's revenue, and appreciate your business, besides being some of the friendliest people you will find anywhere.
Old 08-14-2017, 02:28 PM   #9

Trailer: Oliver Elite II
Boerne, Texas
Table Rock Lake State Park is a nice place to camp. Minutes from Branson. Nice sites! Mike
2016 Oliver Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7L Turbo Diesel
Carol and Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 06:47 PM   #10

Missouri
Lakes are nice but nothing like sitting on a gravel bar on the gin clear river running thru the forests with nobody else around. The only worries are tying a hook and what to throw on the grill. Eagles, deer, scenic bluffs, campfire... it don't get any better.
Old 08-27-2017, 10:31 AM   #11

Name: Eric
Trailer: 1987 Casita 16
Illinois
Quote:
Lakes are nice but nothing like sitting on a gravel bar on the gin clear river running thru the forests with nobody else around. The only worries are tying a hook and what to throw on the grill. Eagles, deer, scenic bluffs, campfire... it don't get any better.
Which works on the grill better Eagles, deer or the Scenic bluff....
EricAllyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 09:18 AM   #12

Missouri
My annual "bump" of thread to the top for a Public Service Announcement for the Ozark national Scenic Riverways. Lots of campsites to satisfy any taste - free undeveloped to full service campgrounds. May and June are great months to visit ONSR - you can generally count on the weather with warm sunny days and cool nights so no need for power. Campfires are legal everywhere, which is getting rare. Current River, Jacks Fork, and Eleven Point are all well worth the trip or if just passing thru southern Missouri. PM is interested in specific details.
Old 05-02-2018, 09:54 AM   #13

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
My wife has family in Missouri and we love the Ozarks . We found the best time to visit are the months of October through April . We have gone there in June but sitting in our trailer all day with the A/C on was not our idea of vacation .
We are considering another trip in October or November
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 10:13 AM   #14

Missouri
Oh yeah, June can get hot. July and August unbearable. Myself, I like it warm enough to jump in the water. We have our annual end of he school year week long campout coming up soon.
Old 07-05-2018, 04:12 PM   #15

Trailer: Oliver
Colorado
Just wanted to add my concurrence for this recommendation. We just stayed at Alley Spring last month. Gorgeous. It was hot, but cooler than Tennessee or St Louis, and being in the water helped immensely. Plenty of shade and being close to the river was great. We stopped in and toured the Alley Mill which was very nice. Also got our National Parks Passport stamp for the Ozark National Scenic Riverway.

I wish we had spent more time there because it would have been nice to rent a kayak or inner tube and float down the river.
Rumline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 04:57 PM   #16

Missouri
Good deal, Mike. I will add that the canoe rental places in that area rent canoes in $40-45/day range, much cheaper that anywhere I have seen in the US, and all day means all day. No problem staying on the river until sunset. Or rent an inner tube for $5. Great way to spend a hot summer day. Not to mention, the Jacks Fork River is a premiere smallmouth stream.
Old 03-07-2019, 08:39 AM   #17

Missouri
My annual bump to the top service announcement for my home state. Tons of free camping in Missouri.