Mount Pisgah NC Blue Ridge Parkway - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camping, Campout Reports
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-29-2019, 07:43 AM   #21

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I bought the $80 regular pass (good for everyone in the car) every year until I turned 62. If you plan a trip to hit several parks, it does not take long to reach $80 in admissions. Yellowstone for example is $25.

Meanwhile, a trip to Disney World costs $115 a day PER PERSON, then they also charge you $25 for parking (at least that is not per person). Camping there can cost from about $120 to over $200 a night (typically sold out).

Needless to say, the millions of visitors to Disney pay a lot of $$ for a family vacation! The US National Parks continue to be a tremendous bargain. And even at the regular rate, camping in a park often costs just $20, cheap compared to any private campground.

And you will definitely save money on gas here in the USA.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 09:14 AM   #22

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
We had the Annual Pass for several years prior to reaching 62 and while it did get us free entrance into Federal facilities that charge admssion, it did not provide a discount on camping fees. From the USGS site:

What is NOT covered by the Annual Pass?
The Annual Pass does not cover Expanded Amenity fees such as camping, boat launching, parking, special tours, special permits or ferries.

Also, some facilities and activities on Federal recreation lands (including those mentioned above) are managed by private concessionaires. The concessionaires charge for their services as any private company does and the Pass is not valid for their services.

In those days it was still a bargain for us.
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 10:55 AM   #23

Name: ginette & ron
Trailer: 2008 25RB 21 Bigfoot
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamperBill View Post
We just returned from Mount Pisgah Campground NC on the Blue Ridge Parkway. High temps on Mount Pisgah were 70s at close to 5000' when high temps back home were in the 90s. Campground does not have water or electricity at campsites, but they have nice restrooms with showers. Used a Renogy 100W suitcase solar panel and it works great!

Looking Glass Water Falls, Moores Cove Water Falls (both on Rt.276), view from top of Devil's Courthouse on BRP, and Sunset from BRP!

We can't wait to go back!
Looks nice. Will have to add it to my list.
Old 06-01-2019, 10:59 AM   #24

Name: Bill
Trailer: Oliver
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by giro53 View Post
Looks nice. Will have to add it to my list.

Thanks,

You will not regret camping there!

We're planning to camp at Linville Falls on the BRP, next trip. Will post about it with many photos.
Old 06-01-2019, 06:02 PM   #25

Registry
Yes, here in NC its all about elevation. While Atlanta and Greenville, SC may be 95F, Pisgah might peak at 70F.

Its the one reason we have so many "half backs" in Haywood County. People from the NE retire in FL, get sick of the heat, and return half way back. Many maintain a winter home in FL and a summer home here.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 07:53 PM   #26

North Carolina
We like to camp on the Blue Ridge Parkway and hike to water falls:

Roaring Fork Falls and Crabtree Falls not far from Mount Mitchell on the BRP:
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1958.jpg   IMG_1876.jpg  

Old 06-02-2019, 06:09 PM   #27

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Thanks,

You will not regret camping there!

We're planning to camp at Linville Falls on the BRP, next trip. Will post about it with many photos.

Thanks for the review. I just made a reservation.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 08:01 PM   #28

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlsara View Post
Thanks for the review. I just made a reservation.
The campground does not have water and electricity at the campsites, but they have restrooms with hot showers.

Half of the campsites cannot be reserved, but if you see one open that you like it better than yours, talk to the ranger to see if you can trade sites.

There's sights to see in the area. Skinny Dip Falls, Looking Glass Falls, Moore Cove Falls, and Devil's Courthouse.

The Blue Ridge Parkway is always a beautiful drive heading to Cherokee or Asheville NC. For grocery shopping and gas we head SE on Rt. 276 to a Walmart and BiLo in Brevard NC.

There's Mt. Pisgah restaurant on the other side of the BRP. It's pricey, but has a nice view. We occasionally go there for breakfast.

Hope y'all have a fine time!
Old 06-03-2019, 11:43 AM   #29

North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
The campground does not have water and electricity at the campsites, but they have restrooms with hot showers.

Half of the campsites cannot be reserved, but if you see one open that you like it better than yours, talk to the ranger to see if you can trade sites.

There's sights to see in the area. Skinny Dip Falls, Looking Glass Falls, Moore Cove Falls, and Devil's Courthouse.

The Blue Ridge Parkway is always a beautiful drive heading to Cherokee or Asheville NC. For grocery shopping and gas we head SE on Rt. 276 to a Walmart and BiLo in Brevard NC.

There's Mt. Pisgah restaurant on the other side of the BRP. It's pricey, but has a nice view. We occasionally go there for breakfast.

Hope y'all have a fine time!

We live in the Cashiers area. We love the Blue Ridge Parkway RP. We did the whole length plus the Skyline Drive last year. I had never thought of camping at Pisgah. The problem we have is in the summer is the area we live in is cooler than just about anywhere in the east. We usually go to Fla, Ga Ala in the spring and west in the fall. It is nice to have somewhere cool in the summer that is fairly close. Pisgah will be ideal for late June.
Old 06-03-2019, 12:07 PM   #30

North Carolina
Quote:
We live in the Cashiers area. We love the Blue Ridge Parkway RP. We did the whole length plus the Skyline Drive last year. I had never thought of camping at Pisgah. The problem we have is in the summer is the area we live in is cooler than just about anywhere in the east. We usually go to Fla, Ga Ala in the spring and west in the fall. It is nice to have somewhere cool in the summer that is fairly close. Pisgah will be ideal for late June.
We plan to camp at Linville Falls and Crabtree federal campgrounds (both on the BRP), that are lower elevation than Mt. Pisgah and should be OK before it gets too hot this summer. Crabtree campground does not seem to get as many campers as Mt. Pisgah and Linville Falls, but Crabtree is close to Roaring Fork Falls, Crabtree Falls & Mt. Mitchell.

There's a NC State Park on Mt. Mitchell, but they only accommodate tent camping. Beautiful tent sites, too.

We normally camp at Mount Pisgah in July and August (70s highs) when it's 90s in the lower elevations. This year it was very warm late May (as you know) when we headed to Mount Pisgah. We were on site #33 (non-reservation site) got there before Memorial Day and stayed several nights.
Old 06-03-2019, 01:52 PM   #31

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
There are also some nice USFS camping spots in western NC. Horse Cove in Nantahala NF is a favorite if we can get one of our preferred sites (which usually isn't too difficult). There are also a number of good dispersed sites along Santeelah Creek off FS81 in that area. Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest is nearby and has some great day hikes.
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 02:09 PM   #32

Registry
Elevation is your friend on the BRP in the summer. And the southern end has the highest elevation. Plenty of private campgrounds in Maggie Valley just off the Parkway.
Old 06-03-2019, 02:10 PM   #33

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Cindy K View Post
There are also some nice USFS camping spots in western NC. Horse Cove in Nantahala NF is a favorite if we can get one of our preferred sites (which usually isn't too difficult). There are also a number of good dispersed sites along Santeelah Creek off FS81 in that area. Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest is nearby and has some great day hikes.

Al and Cindy,

We have not camped at those campgrounds in Western NC, yet. Will check them out, this summer. Thanks!

Eastern TN is another area we have not camped much. Camped at Tellico Plains TN during the eclipse and had a fine time.
Old 06-03-2019, 02:16 PM   #34

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Elevation is your friend on the BRP in the summer. And the southern end has the highest elevation. Plenty of private campgrounds in Maggie Valley just off the Parkway.
Bill,

Yep, we like cool weather in the summer. Trailered a motorcycle to Maggie Valley and stayed a few nights, but have not camped there yet.

Checked out your Facebook page. Your Escape and Trillium are nice looking campers.

Good looking restoration project on the Trillium!
Old 06-05-2019, 11:37 AM   #35

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
They do not forward the pass to Canadians we pay full rates.

Quote:
Stude,

Found this information about the Senior's Pass:

Who qualifies for the Senior pass:

"U.S. citizens or permanent residents who are 62 years or older".

https://store.usgs.gov/senior-pass

Hope you can visit here in the US.

Edit: Tom and Bill posted great information about the annual pass in following posts!!!!!!!
: But I think it is only $80 for the year which is not all that bad. I think were still at $25 up here But I think I will write a letter to tell them it is time to raise the fees to say $75.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 11:55 AM   #36

British Columbia
Quote:
: If your coming down from Canada where do you start on the BRP and someone said it was 469 miles long so where does it end plus where are the $30 campsites located because for every US dollar it costs us $1.35.
Stude
Old 06-05-2019, 12:05 PM   #37

North Carolina
Registry
The Parkway starts at Rockfish Gap in Virginia and ends at Cherokee, NC. If I were coming from Canada and had time, I would get on Skyline Drive at Front Royal and follow it to the BRP. I can’t help you with the campsites. We just find one nearby when we travel.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:04 PM   #38

British Columbia
Quote:
The Parkway starts at Rockfish Gap in Virginia and ends at Cherokee, NC. If I were coming from Canada and had time, I would get on Skyline Drive at Front Royal and follow it to the BRP. I can’t help you with the campsites. We just find one nearby when we travel.
Thank you
CharlSara
Stude
Old 06-05-2019, 04:01 PM   #39

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by stude View Post
: But I think it is only $80 for the year which is not all that bad. I think were still at $25 up here But I think I will write a letter to tell them it is time to raise the fees to say $75.
Stude

Stude,

The $25 fee is a great deal!!! We will be camping in Canada and visiting some of your beautiful parks.

The Lifetime Senior Pass in the US increased from $10 to $80 during 2017. At $80 it's a fine deal! We also like camping at Army Corps of Engineers campgrounds that are 1/2 price with the Senior Pass.
Old 06-28-2019, 11:41 AM   #40

North Carolina
Met a very fine couple camping in their beautiful Lil Snoozy at Mt Pisgah earlier this week!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3381.jpg   IMG_3382.jpg