Mount Rushmore FIRE WORKS! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2020, 06:15 PM   #1

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Mount Rushmore FIRE WORKS!

The July 3 fireworks will be the first fire works in many years. I think I was last there for the show in 2005. Great show then and I hope we get some reports from this years show.
For those of us that can't make it, the plan is to live stream the show.
This is the only address I have: https://vimeo.com/event/142246?utm_s...content=events
Old 07-03-2020, 09:46 AM   #2

Name: BJ
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21' Formerly 2015 Escape 19'
Wisconsin
My husband and I were rangers at Mt. Rushmore for 8 years, including the last year when fireworks were blown off on top. It was a horrible fiasco. Neither of us are in favor of this resumption of pyrotechnics. We were finding old casing in the tallis slope (the rubble at below the carvings) for many years later, and the pollution it caused made us buy water from the grocery store for drinking and cooking. The carvings are crisscrossed with thousands of cracks which are likely to be exacerbated by loud concussions and vibrations. The Big heads can take only so much. I would never encourage fireworks there.
Old 07-03-2020, 10:47 AM   #3

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
They are also under a fire danger warning same as last year.
Old 07-03-2020, 11:30 AM   #4

Name: Bill
CA
There will be no social distancing and masks will not be mandatory. I wouldn't attend if I lived in Deadwood.
Old 07-03-2020, 11:42 AM   #5

Wisconsin
With any luck and wise forethought, there will be no fireworks next year (assuming you mean 2021) They went 10 years without fireworks, and the fourth came and went with pride and celebration. Find someplace with fireworks going over a lake.

I feel very sorry for the people in Keystone, Hill City and other areas close by. Their whole livelihoods depend on tourism business for the entire summer season, and a pandemic-caused closure would ruin them for the sake of a one day event.
Old 07-03-2020, 12:34 PM   #6

Wisconsin
I you want to camp and really enjoy the area, I highly recommend Horse Thief Lake National forest campground, easy biking to Rushmore, and a lovely campground. There are NO hookups, but they can accommodate small trailers. You do need reservations.

If you are tenting, my absolute favorite campground is Grizzly NF campground just south of Keystone on Iron Mt. Rd. Only a few sites, not accessible to trailers, but you feel like you have just stepped into the Hobbit. You have to see it to believe it. It is not on many of the maps in the area, and you may have to ask a local how to find it.
Old 07-03-2020, 12:41 PM   #7

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I just read a story headlined “ America is running out of fireworks “
The article did not specifically mention South Dakota but for the sake of Mount Rushmore lets hope the shortage applies to South Dakota
We always watch a Capitol 4th on PBS , works for us .
Old 07-03-2020, 12:43 PM   #8

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjsmitty View Post
I you want to camp and really enjoy the area, I highly recommend Horse Thief Lake National forest campground, easy biking to Rushmore, and a lovely campground. There are NO hookups, but they can accommodate small trailers. You do need reservations.

If you are tenting, my absolute favorite campground is Grizzly NF campground just south of Keystone on Iron Mt. Rd. Only a few sites, not accessible to trailers, but you feel like you have just stepped into the Hobbit. You have to see it to believe it. It is not on many of the maps in the area, and you may have to ask a local how to find it.
Actually I would like to visit there in the hot months but maybe later in July or August when the crowds are smaller. I have a Scamp13D so I will check out Horse Thief Lake.
Thanks for the info!
Old 07-03-2020, 12:49 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Mt Rushmore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjsmitty View Post
My husband and I were rangers at Mt. Rushmore for 8 years, including the last year when fireworks were blown off on top. It was a horrible fiasco. Neither of us are in favor of this resumption of pyrotechnics. We were finding old casing in the tallis slope (the rubble at below the carvings) for many years later, and the pollution it caused made us buy water from the grocery store for drinking and cooking. The carvings are crisscrossed with thousands of cracks which are likely to be exacerbated by loud concussions and vibrations. The Big heads can take only so much. I would never encourage fireworks there.

I feel the same way; this was sacred Indian Land, is now Sacred to many Americans, like ME ! Many years ago I rode my motorcycle on a ride from Sturgis to Mt Rushmore, led by the then Governor of South Dakota. Rangers laid planks over some ditches so we could ride in and park near the base of the monument, now a developed area. It was a wonderful event with proud riders and cooperative Rangers, no fireworks and NO POLITICS ! No American Monuments should be used by politicians to whip up votes from their followers ! David in Fresno and Sonora, Ca.
Old 07-03-2020, 01:22 PM   #10

Name: Shirley
Trailer: Escape 21, formerly Casita SD
Missouri
I am concerned about the effects of a big fireworks show on the whole area. In the past the light shows have been fantastic and didn’t stress the wildlife, the carvings, or cause pollution. Having lived in a similar area, I know how fast and quickly wildfires can start and spread. With SD in a drought I believe this is very irresponsible. Wishing for the light show and usual salute to our veterans....sigh...hoping for the best but those heads are fragile and have been repaired/reinforced a number of times due to cracking already.
Old 07-03-2020, 01:52 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Is blowing stuff up a salute to veterans?
Old 07-03-2020, 02:14 PM   #12

Name: Kenneth
Wisconsin
Registry
Keystone

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
So...since you know the area, what would be the best view point for the fireworks next year?
What about a good campground nearby?
Is there enough parking nearby or what about bicycling in from a few miles away?
I never take a bicycle buy enjoy walking. I parked a few miles out of Keystone and walked in. I then went back out to SD 244 and sat on the guard rail with my camera and got some great pictures. I was however parked against traffic and had to wait some time to get back on the road.
Attached Thumbnails
sd244.jpg  
Old 07-03-2020, 03:06 PM   #13

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0GV View Post
I never take a bicycle buy enjoy walking. I parked a few miles out of Keystone and walked in. I then went back out to SD 244 and sat on the guard rail with my camera and got some great pictures. I was however parked against traffic and had to wait some time to get back on the road.
Nice picture, looks inviting!
Old 07-03-2020, 03:37 PM   #14

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Been there, done that back in the day. Then later oversight for park areas inundated with fireworks watchers, kids with a hundred sparklers apiece and on and on. Our record was 27 flat tires on mowers the week after the fourth. Plus some irate parent phone calls “my kid stepped on a sparkler wire and it went in his foot” those calls will mess up your coffee break I’ll tell you. Fireworks. No Thanks.
Iowa “Fuddy Duddy” Dave
Old 07-03-2020, 03:54 PM   #15

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
My father-in-law, a World War II veteran, who was in the Battle of the Bulge, never liked fireworks, because they sounded like the artillery overhead while he laid in a foxhole. The firecrackers reminded him too much of small arms fire.

CindyL
Old 07-03-2020, 04:02 PM   #16

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Hi Cindy
My dad didn’t like them much either.
Ist Army. 3rd armored division, “Spearhead.” 32nd armored regiment. Company B. Motto of the Third Armored. “Victory or Death”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Villiers-Fossard
Initiation by fire 29 June 1944 . 76 years ago this week.
Read “Spearhead in the West”. It ain’t no comic book account.

Thanks to all veterans each and every day. Never Forget. Have a. Great Holiday.
Iowa Dave
Closed Thread