my first "by myself" hookup and camping! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camping, Campout Reports
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-30-2007, 07:40 PM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to bill&sandra
Wink

Bill had to work the day i wanted to shove off for my reserved campsite at Cedar Hill State Park, close to our house. He helped me do the check out, lights, chocks, lock the door, hitch, etc. and then I left at 8am for the campsite. He had to go to work. It was my first time pulling the 13 Scamp with our new (to us/99) diesel VW. I could feel it back there, like a reluctant dog, but on the smooth highway it settled down. I pulled into the spots specially made for trailers, went in and the ohhs and ahhs began and the folks there thought our VW/SCamp combo was just the cutest thing! well, Da!!!??? They got me assigned to a spot facing south for most sun and I finally found it. Then I had to back the thing--something I had never done with anything!!! It took me like forever!!!! People would be strolling to the nearby potty house and they'd still find me going back and forth when the strolled back. You just knew they were saying, "stupid woman". I didn't care. I finally got it in there. None of the advice I'd read seemed to help. bummer. I was so worn out i had to go sit on the picnic table and have a cold one. Once fortified, I unhitched and tried leveling. Finally figured out which way to crank to get the bubble thingy working right! whew!
After that, the plugin for the electricity, getting out the chairs and rug, etc went like I planned.
I camped for three days, with the hubster meeting me after work around 1030pm and a leisurely breakfast in the morning. On sunday, when I had to decamp, Bill had to go in early, so we got up extra early and as quiet as we could--we were surrounded by other campers--stowed everything and rehitched the VW. Bill followed me home and it pulled great. I wanted to try to get it in the driveway--ha ha ha--and did make it out of the street! hey! It's my first time!!! He got it pushed back where it normally stays and I helped him unhitch and chock it.
It made me feel so good to finally do it all by myself--the prime reason we got the small trailer in the first place--and won't feel anxious about doing it again when i need to go 'sit in the woods' and he doesn't have the time to come with. I am truly, a happy camper! --oh, and that was my birthday present--the three days in the woods with just me and the dog!!! You should try it! I have such a great hubby!!!
bill&sandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 08:04 PM   #2

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Congratulations! Especially on backing... I was lucky when I got my trailer that I'd (more or less) learned to do it already. But the first time I backed a trailer was a disaster. I was supposed to be backing it down the driveway so we could load it and we ended up just carrying everything to the trailer.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 08:40 PM   #3

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
Excellent! I love hearing about the first time camping (this was a first time for you to tow and set up camp on your own.) Soon you'll be an old timer....camping wise.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 10:07 PM   #4

Trailer: 2003 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft
Congrats - that is great. Sue and I are new to all of this, but I'm comfy with a trailer. My goal is to get her OK with it as well. She has the trailer systems down pat, but soon I will do the "your driving" gotcha on her.

-Kyle
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 10:43 PM   #5

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
It made me feel so good to finally do it all by myself
That's what it's all about!
Old 11-30-2007, 11:30 PM   #6

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Trillium
Quote:
You just knew they were saying, "stupid woman".
Perhaps they were thinking, "Brave Woman". YOU GO GIRL!!! I was sooooo lucky the first time out I met up with a bunch of the people from this site. I remember driving to NOG and talking to a friend on the phone and she said "who are you going camping with again"...."some people I met on the internet"......"ARE YOU CRAZY, HOW DO YOU KNOW THEY AREN'T SOME MANIACS???"...."well gee, when you put it that way, it doesn't sound like such a good idea". I went anyway, and me and the trailer have lived happily ever after. Keep it up, it just keeps getting easier!!!
Sharon Herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 08:49 AM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Sharon my eyes are leaking.... Somehow I didn't even think of it in this vein. My first group grope was the Oregon Gathering

Sandra, you made a memory and a good one at that. Isn't it liberating to know that you CAN DO THIS?! And know, the backing part will get easier each time you do it...from one who did the picnic table, cold one too! Now I can wait for the beverage until everything is done and the lawn chair is waiting. It will be that way for you too!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 10:38 AM   #8

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Ain't it grand?

Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 12:21 PM   #9

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
I remember driving to NOG and talking to a friend on the phone and she said "who are you going camping with again"...."some people I met on the internet"......"ARE YOU CRAZY, HOW DO YOU KNOW THEY AREN'T SOME MANIACS???"...."well gee, when you put it that way, it doesn't sound like such a good idea".
Sharon, has it ever occurred to you that she was right? Fiberglass people are fanatical. Maniacal, berserk, crazed, demented, deranged, excited, flipped, flipped out, freaked out, freaky, frenzied, high, insane, lunatic, mad, nutty, psychotic, rabid, raving, turned-out, unbalanced, and wild (source: Thesaurus.com). That's why we're so much fun... and now YOU'RE ONE OF US!!!! <deranged, maniacal voice on> Muahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sandra... congrats! It's all fun from here!

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 01:36 PM   #10

Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Ford Ranger
Quote:
Fiberglass people are fanatical. Maniacal, berserk, crazed, demented, deranged, excited, flipped, flipped out, freaked out, freaky, frenzied, high, insane, lunatic, mad, nutty, psychotic, rabid, raving, turned-out, unbalanced, and wild (source: Thesaurus.com).
Roger
Roger, you say that like it's a BAD thing. . . .
LOL
Ian
Ian-Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 01:56 PM   #11

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Trailer back up game----------- use computer arrow keys to move the cars front wheels ----HAVE FUN----
http://www.pepere.org/flash-game_1_x/peper...-trailer_2.html
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 02:15 PM   #12

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot
What a great story, Sharon. I am glad that your first experience went so well. I was also lucky to have friendly faces around the first time I backed into a spot. Thanks for sharing your story!

Charlene

Charlene Urso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 02:34 PM   #13
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Woo Hoo, Sandra! You go, girl!

Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 06:33 PM   #14

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to bill&sandra
Quote:
:okra Woo Hoo, Sandra! You go, girl! :thumb

you all had me simply shrieking!!!!! Thanks for all the encouraging remarks and maniacal laughter!
I do feel like a power-woman! Can't wait to do it again--maybe faster this time! ha!
bill&sandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 06:33 PM   #15

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
I remember my first camp out back up. Went to a family reunion at my Brothers house in the country. He says, park it HERE, and told me I could practice as long as it took to get the Scamp in that spot. By the time I got it parked, I kinda knew how to back up a little better. I felt like a fish out of water, but practice makes.........well almost, but not quite................perfect. I am sure family enjoyed watching me struggle.
Sandra, practice will improve your backup speed. Us women can do it!

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 07:11 PM   #16

Trailer: Bigfoot 21ft (25B21RB)
congrats Sandra
Phil Underwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 12:57 PM   #17

Name: Marjie
Trailer: Trillium 4500
New York
Hi,
Great story!
Last fall my daughter (age 3) and I set off for our first mother/daughter camping weekend together.
When I got to our campsite I just kept thinking...go slowly...take your time....no rush...
We backed in, little by little, perfect spot close to the tree but not too close.
Everyone was watching.
When the trailer was finally in place, I got out of the car, got my daughter out, and walked around feeling very proud....and it was then I realized it was a pull-through site!
We had a terrific time together!
Marjie
Rarebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 01:12 PM   #18

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Hi,
Great story!
Last fall my daughter (age 3) and I set off for our first mother/daughter camping weekend together.
When I got to our campsite I just kept thinking...go slowly...take your time....no rush...
We backed in, little by little, perfect spot close to the tree but not too close.
Everyone was watching.
When the trailer was finally in place, I got out of the car, got my daughter out, and walked around feeling very proud....and it was then I realized it was a pull-through site!
We had a terrific time together!
Marjie
Thanks for sharing this story.
Life is great, really great when we can laugh at ourselves, even better when we feel free to share that laugh.

Old 01-15-2008, 07:54 PM   #19

Trailer: 1978 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
I remember my first camp out back up. Went to a family reunion at my Brothers house in the country. He says, park it HERE, and told me I could practice as long as it took to get the Scamp in that spot. By the time I got it parked, I kinda knew how to back up a little better. I felt like a fish out of water, but practice makes.........well almost, but not quite................perfect. I am sure family enjoyed watching me struggle.
Sandra, practice will improve your backup speed. Us women can do it!
WHOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOo like months late but toot your horn. not easy to do and its such a rush to do it no matter how many times you have to correct yourself. I have only one year under my belt and hope that i an manage well this year.

YIPPI

valerie
Valerie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 01:24 PM   #20

Trailer: 2000 Northern Lite (The TARDIS)
Way to go Sandra! My wife would like to know what VW you pull you egg with. We are huge VW enthusiasts but we pull our egg with a Suburban. Thanks.
Wayne D is offline   Reply With Quote